BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any Illinois riders out there? I just bought the bike today and it has the dreaded wig wag of the ABS lights. I am not afraid of a wrench. The bike only has 21K on it.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
The lights blink when you fire her up.

Our 00s don't have bleed nipples on the ABS.

Sometimes if the rear reservoir gets a little low, like a teaspoon low, the lights will keep blinking.

Many years ago it was discovered that the rubber brake lines, like on your 00, will spring a leak. Consider changing yours if it wasn't done.

I was surprised when I discovered how fast the closed system takes on water.

Best from Tucson
Bob

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
Also check the state of charge of your battery. Low battery voltage has been known to cause the wig-wag.

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
14wntr said:
The battery was replaced by the previous owner at the end of last season. How will I know if the brake lines are replaced? I do not see any leaks.
OEM brake lines were rubber/something tubing and quite flexible. Replacements (aftermarket) are stainless braided lines and pretty stiff. Speigler is a popular brand used by lotsa folks here on the forums.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
BecketMa said:
Our 00s don't have bleed nipples on the ABS.

Sometimes if the rear reservoir gets a little low, like a teaspoon low, the lights will keep blinking.

Best from Tucson
Bob
The 00s do have bleed nipples. They're even shown in the shop manual. The manual says that the ABS unit doesn't need to be bled unless it's been opened or drained. When my ABS faulted the first time in May 2008, I bled at the wheel cylinders and at the ABS unit. I had bled the brakes not long before, so the fluid was still clean. The first bit of fluid from the ABS unit was very brown. It doesn't get turned over. Since I've removed and installed the ABS unit three times, I know there are bleed nipples.

The 00s don't have monitored reservoirs. I'm thinking that didn't start til late in the 01 model year.

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
Thanks for the info.

Best from Tucson
Bob

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,109 Posts
14wntr said:
The battery was replaced by the previous owner at the end of last season. How will I know if the brake lines are replaced? I do not see any leaks.
Nobody uses OEM lines for replacement so if yours are not nice stainless steel woven lines the you have the 12 year old stock lines. See "Speiglers".

1 - 9 of 9 Posts