BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently a RT owner and have found a 02 LT that I'm considering adding to the stable. On my test ride I noticed that when weaving or cornering that there is a moderate vibration coming up through the frame/handbars. My first thought was the tires (ME 880 getting near end of useful life) and then I noticed the left hand turn/weave/lean produced the vibration a bit more pronounced. Could still be the tires but with all I've heard about drive shaft failures, thought I'd throw the question out. BTW with the bike on centerstand the rear wheel indicates no play at all side-to-side.

Thanks

·
Registered
276 Posts
Any play at the 12 o'clock/6 o'clock position? When mine was doing that I needed new pinion bearings in the final drive.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Me880's are NOTORIOUS for being noisy when worn...

I'm sure that's the issue you're having.

Tire time.

John

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
JPSpen said:

Tire time.

John
+1. Near the end of my 880's life span, I have the music loud! :D

Also get the vibration while cornering too.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I had the same when the front tire was cupped and when the rear drive was ready to go. Not at the same time -

·
Registered
69 Posts
9200 miles on my ME 880's and they are getting louder in turns.There is no vibration felt in the handlebars or anywhere in the bike. Welcome to the LT riders group!Robert.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Probably the tires. How many miles on the 02 and how much are they asking? None of my businessI know, but an 05 or newer may not be that much more. I have an 02 and love it, but I have put nearly every mile on it and know the bike.

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
A normal wear pattern will cause more noise in a left turn. Probably just the tires. If you spin them and sight over the tread any movement perpendicular to the direction the tire is turning translates into noise. The bigger the scallop, the bigger the noise. Hell, I had no idea how quiet an LT is until I replaced my Avons.

·
Registered
910 Posts
he he he.. I liked the noise... makes me feel like a x wing pilot strafing.

yeh time to replace as well.

dang they are getting expensive , arent they?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hognot said:
Probably the tires. How many miles on the 02 and how much are they asking? None of my businessI know, but an 05 or newer may not be that much more. I have an 02 and love it, but I have put nearly every mile on it and know the bike.
54K miles for $6100. Pretty clean bike.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I told myself after my first set of 880s that I would never buy another set for just that reason. The problem I found is that I could find no other tire combination that could give me the mileage of the 880s. I'm now trying a little higher pressure to avoid the wear that yields the vibration. The LT is very sensitive withered excellent feedback to the rider for such a heavy bike and so you get the bad with the good so to speak.

·
Registered
809 Posts
JPSpen said:

Tire time.

John
Yep, +1.

·
Premium Member
7,546 Posts
BMWROLLIN said:
I told myself after my first set of 880s that I would never buy another set for just that reason. The problem I found is that I could find no other tire combination that could give me the mileage of the 880s. I'm now trying a little higher pressure to avoid the wear that yields the vibration. The LT is very sensitive withered excellent feedback to the rider for such a heavy bike and so you get the bad with the good so to speak.
I had similar noise issue on my Kawasaki Voyager running Dunlop K491s and Michelin Touring Elites. I think all tires make more noise as they wear.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts