BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been playing with the adjustment on the rear shock of my '03 LT, and I cannot seem to find a good, intermediate setting for two-up riding. I am 6'2" and weigh 240#, the other rider is 120#. I have the stock shocks with 11,000 miles on them. I bottom out ever time I enter my driveway with sufficient speed to make it up the hill.

Could anyone give me any suggestions of where to start with adjustments at my weight? Does it sound like I need to do the "topping off" of the oil level that I have read about? Is the Ohlins an answer?

Additionally, I have new Metz 880's and I am curious what the board's recommendations on tire pressure is.

I await the flow of wisdom that I have come to expect and appreciate!

Thank you all in advance for your kind consideration and assistance.

John

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Ok

Here's my advice,:)

Crank the preload all the way out to the stop. (counterclockwise.)

Now crank it down till you feel resistance.. If there is very much "free" space at the top of the unit, more than 1 turn, Then you might want to consider filling the preload adjuster..

42 front 48 rear..

Good Luck

John

·
Registered
175 Posts
Agree with John. Also I've found the skidplate tends to ground down on speed bumps and odd inclines two up, perhaps experiment slightly different approach which may help.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I've got the same weight specs as you, and I find at 3/4 load with two up is about right. I solved the bottoming out at driveways, or bumps, by rolling the throttle a little, pulling the clutch back a little, and applying the rear brake slightly. Just like making a controlled tight radius low speed turn. Bike doesn't bottom out and everything seems fine. More importantly my wife doesn't get that huffy exhale when the pan hits the pavement.

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
Ya need to add some oil to your "preload".

Here's how:
- bike on centersand (no weight on rear tire)
- unscrew the preload adjuster all the way until it stops
- remove the preload adjuster from the bracket
- holding upside down (handle down, hose up), note position of hose (as on the face of a clock...)
- unscrew the hose bolt holding the hose in place while keeping it all facing "up" so no oil leaks out. CAREFUL not to lose the washers.
- using a small diameter allen wrench, insert into the hole where the hose bolt was removed and push the internal piston all the way down.
- add drops of "jack oil" into the adjuster through the hose bolt hole until filled.
- carefully fit the hose bolt and hose back together and tighten properly.
- reassemble adjuster to bike.
- adjust / ride / test to see if it improves

If this doesn't resolve your problem, you probably need new shock's.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts