BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone, newbie hear, As I went looking for a touring bike today and fell in love with a “W”reg(2000) K1200LT.
I wont be a fool and ask all you owners if I would be making the right move to buy it, my mind is made up!!!
What I would like to ask is what I should be looking out for on this model, I’m buying from a dealer so its not to bad, but you know what they are like.
Any help would be appreciated, thought this way would be a lot quicker than searching the form, witch I intend to do now.. back soon & thanks..

·
Registered
654 Posts
It's been a while since I lived on that side of the pond. What year is a W reg?

·
Registered
773 Posts
details

What mileage
What sort of dealer
What warranty
What service history
How much ????????????

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
two-cents

Carl,

First..Welcome, I'm sure everyone here will agree, you're making the right decision :thumb:

You probably should read through the hall of wisdom here to get aquainted.

I agree with Graham that more info is needed, but, from a dealer a good extended warranty would be in order.

Let us no more specifics :bmw:

·
Registered
70 Posts
newbie looking for info

A while back I was in London on holiday and visited Metropolis near the Vauxhall bridge. But noted there seemed to be small shops around. Here. some folks have to go along way for dealer service. Are you going to tackle maint. yourself? Best of luck.

·
Registered
654 Posts
There’s the obvious things, like insuring regular maintenance has been done, fluids changed, service bulletins taken care off (one being that a skid plate is installed). Make sure there is no lateral play in the rear wheel.
The ’00 is easier to maintain yourself than the later models. There are always things you can do/add to it, but as long as you get a good deal, you’ll be smiling the miles away.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Welcome to the family of 2000 LT's

I love my 2000 LTC. Take some time, ok lots of time, and read through these posts and the wealth of information supplied within this forum.

Some major issues with your LT:

Heavy as a tank
Slow speed turns (suck, need lots of practice)
Use center stand vs side stand, or let sit, it may (will) smoke
ABS lights - blinking, working etc.
Tire pressures - ( 42ish front, 46ish rear)

It goes on n on n on...

But don't be scared. All the info you need is right here. You'll love the Beamer and the friends and BMW family you'll meet here.

OK..the rear main drive failure thing is scary.... :eek:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all your post peps, all I know about the bike is that its a 2000, Speedo says 9000 mls, not seen any paperwork with it as yet, but going back tomorrow to go into it. £6000 tag on it just seen it & fell for it.. I own a R1 so I know the size will take some getting used to but I’m 20 stone 47 and a lot of respect for bikes and road, just needed some words from riders who know about the bike and not bull*** salesman..

·
Registered
49 Posts
my 2 cents

Seriously, from personal experience. The LT is a great bike but I would never own one again if it is not under warranty. Unless you can do the repairs yourself or have the resources of a bank I wouldn't even consider it. I religiously had the dealer maintain my bike but maintenance added to the many repairs now needed has gotten Very expensive and probably not worth doing on my O3LT.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I bought a 2000. Great bike. Awesome continental tourer. Real luxury touring.

Bit of a handful at very low speed until you get used to it. Once you're moving the handling is remarkable for such a big bike. You will surprise one or two sports bike riders in the twistys.

It's a bit top heavy so two up with a full load of luggage makes low speed control even more difficult. Many on this forum have had low speed drops. You need to show the bike who's boss and adopt an assertive style of riding/control. Don't dither about or you'll come a cropper. If you have a partner they'll love the heated seat.

Have a close look underneath and see if you can spot any evidence of oil leaks. Main seal leaks are not unusual and I didn't spot mine when I bought it. Having said that I've covered a few thousand miles with no problems and I haven't repaired the leak yet. The leak shows up as a dark oily patch where the gearbox joins the bellhousing. I was also unlucky enough to have a timing cover oil leak. Again more of an annoyance rather than a big problem. I'll repair it when I'm ready.

The adjustment on my rear shock wasn't working. This was easily sorted by topping up the adjuster with oil. A 15 minute job. Details on this forum. Other than that I've had no problems and nothing has prevented me riding it whenever I want.

Don't be afraid of riding it hard. These bikes thrive on revs. Give it some.

Best of luck

Chris

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks BDC, some useful info there, the kind I was looking for, paid the deposit and I’m picking it up next Friday (weather permitting)
This forum has been very useful, will take weeks to gather all the info in hear, and some day I might be able to help someone with my KLT experience.
Ii intend to do a lot of riding in Europe, been to Spain, Italy and Germany on my R1, will be interesting to compare the two bikes, fuel tyres ect.
Never had cruse control on a bike before, should be interesting..
And I’m not afraid of riding it hard!!!

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Hi Carl, I'm sure you'll enjoy the bike - one more thing to add to BDC's list is ALWAYS remember to keep the bars straight when you come to a stop - that is the only real worry of it's low speed handling.

If you're into touring, why not sign up for THIS.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts