BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to introduce myself to the forums. I currently tour on an 06LE hayabusa and have been thinking about getting a "strickly touring" bike. And since I've owned bimmers I thought I would look into a beemer. I've have been in communications with one of the the forum members here, rdog, in regards to him selling his 07LT in MA.

Luckly the local dealer had two used LT's in the showroom and was able to test drive one. It was definately alot larger bike, size wise, than I am use to. I'm only 5ft 5in and my busa is lowered. Needless to say I was able to get at least the front of my feet on the ground. I did drive it around a little but it felt very awkward at low speeds, espcially during turning. On the fly it handled well for a larger bike. I can definately see how comfortable it would be during long trips, feels like I'm driveing a couch compared to the busa.

After reasearching and crunching the number of how much it will cost to go and retrive the bike I'm in the decision stage at this point. I will probably know in the next week if things go as planned.

I am in Indiana by the way, so if there are board members that are in the area please let me know, I would like to meet some of you and see you beemers as well.

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Welcome to the fourm. A lot to read here. I was reading for months before I bought the LT. Be sure to visit the hall of wisdom too.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Some thicker soled boots might be in order...

Once you get a BMW, Any BMW, Those other bikes just don't measure up...

I went from an LT, My first BMW, To a CLC, RT, And a GS....

One for every style of riding.....

Go get that sucker and ride the snot out of it...Expect to drop it at least once...
Learn the correct way to pick it up before you drop it..
Always come to a stop with the front end straight..
When it buzzes at 4500 RPM, It's saying let's go !
It's the most fun beetween 5K and 8K rpm...
The rev limiter won't let you hurt the engine, So gas that sucker..
Twisties are best in second gear...You can run up and down from 25 to 85 mph in second gear...

Have fun..

John

·
Registered
241 Posts
Welcome to the asylum. Lots of good people and info. My first LT had the low seat and worked very good for me. I'm 5'6" with 29" inseam. When I got a RT with a low seat I bought a pair of Doc Martins that somebody in this group recommended. On hind site I should have got a low seat for my second LT and kept it. It's a much more comfy ride two-up. Enjoy!!!

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'm another relative newbie to the LT. I bought my 99 last December. In two weeks, I start a 7,500 mile cross country trip, San Francisco to North Carolina and then back via Montana. Details to follow.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
No one mention the LT has a seat adjustment.
At least mine does. I use mine in the high position. Did you notice what was the case on the one you rode. Or do the earlier models have that adjustment. Would that help?
ride safe :bmw:

·
Registered
676 Posts
gstspeedster said:
. I can definately see how comfortable it would be during long trips, feels like I'm driveing a couch compared to the busa.
If you really want to check out a couch, try the Goldwing! The LT is definately a more fun ride...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well looks like the hunt will continue, rdog took an offer on his 07 before I could come up with an offer. But I'm learning alot more about the LTs. being on the site now. thanks for everyones input thus far and in greeting me to the site.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
casualemt said:
If you really want to check out a couch, try the Goldwing! The LT is definately a more fun ride...
Not to bash anyone with a GW but I don't care for the looks of them but I'm sure they are comfortable though.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
I'm 5'8" with a 28" inseam. John hit everything right on the head! Thick soles, carefully planned and executed stops (which will soon become 2nd nature, and wind her up nice and tight.

The 4500 rpm buzz is just the indicator that lets you know you are about to enter warp drive!

Ahhhhhh!

Loren

JPSpen said:
Some thicker soled boots might be in order...

Once you get a BMW, Any BMW, Those other bikes just don't measure up...

I went from an LT, My first BMW, To a CLC, RT, And a GS....

One for every style of riding.....

Go get that sucker and ride the snot out of it...Expect to drop it at least once...
Learn the correct way to pick it up before you drop it..
Always come to a stop with the front end straight..
When it buzzes at 4500 RPM, It's saying let's go !
It's the most fun beetween 5K and 8K rpm...
The rev limiter won't let you hurt the engine, So gas that sucker..
Twisties are best in second gear...You can run up and down from 25 to 85 mph in second gear...

Have fun..

John

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
There are more LT's for sale out there, here, E'bay and the Internet BMW riders Marketplace for starters. Plus you said the Dealer had 2, so keep looking.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Howdy from another hoosier

Falcone typically has an LT or two, as the GTL starts showing up (they're supposed to have their demo bike soon), I'm guessing there may be a few LTs that get traded in... maybe even mine!

The Indy BMW club meets at Shapiro's downtown (800 south meridian) at 8:30 every saturday morning. They won't beat up a 'Busa rider, I'll bet!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Diolach said:
There are more LT's for sale out there, here, E'bay and the Internet BMW riders Marketplace for starters. Plus you said the Dealer had 2, so keep looking.
Yes there are many but this is an 07 with 4900miles, no scratches,dents, etc.. for $13,000.00. From what I've seen its a pretty awful good deal...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
lurch102 said:
Howdy from another hoosier

Falcone typically has an LT or two, as the GTL starts showing up (they're supposed to have their demo bike soon), I'm guessing there may be a few LTs that get traded in... maybe even mine!

The Indy BMW club meets at Shapiro's downtown (800 south meridian) at 8:30 every saturday morning. They won't beat up a 'Busa rider, I'll bet!
Well If I get a chance, I will ride down one Sat morning and meet some of you guys. Thanks for the offer.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Would you Indy guys mind if a fellow from Louisville, Ky. were to show up one Saturday morning. Would be a nice early morning ride.

·
Registered
43 Posts
This one is from the BMWMOA site. Looks like not a bad deal, and only one state away!

BMW Motorcycles:

2007 K1200LT
Year: 2007
Make: BMW
Model: K1200LT
Price: $16500
Description: Our loss is your gain! Health issues have made us make the heart wrenching decision to stop riding. This beautiful Biarritz Blue 2007 K1200LT was purchased by us last spring and immediately had over $2000 in upgrades made. Everything goes. This bike has only 37,+++ miles. Besides the standard features such as electric windshield, heated seats, heated grips and the BMW radio with CD player and reverse and ABS brakes, this beautiful bike has been equipped with a heated Corbin driver seat and driver backrest. Amenities include a new BMW CB with 10 band weather radio and passenger key button (new BMW headsets and cords included). BMW Navigator II GPS, alarm system with remote which also locks the bags. It is wired for XM Radio (Roadie not included), also has PIAA driving lights & JPeg highway pegs. It also has a new removable trailer hitch, used about 4x. New Metzler tires (purchased last spring) have 4000 miles. Complete tune-up included oil & filter, air & fuel filters, transmission and final drive oil. New saddle bag liners as well as a small tank bag, Chicane tail bag & owners manual are included as well on this garage kept beauty. Are you ready to make this bike your own?!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts