BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a newbie to this forum although not new to motorcycling. I've been riding 40 plus years and I'm still a yougin'!

I'm in the investigative stage of possibly purchasing an LT. I'd like a 2010 model or by the time I purchase, it might be an 2011 model. Obviously since this is a BMW forum, you're gonna say you like your LT...as well you should! Of those that have a 2010, what do you like about it, what do you dislike? Also, did you ride a Goldwing before?

I live in Tennessee and currently ride a 2002 Road King Classic. No rude comments please...ha.

For what it's worth, I've been driving BMW cars since 1988.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Ex Gold Wing AND H-D pilot here.. Get yourself a nice used or leftover (unsold) LT and don't look back.
Either that or wait it out to see exactly what the new 1600 is all about.
Having already experienced the H-D, you would love the LT just because it's such a different animal.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Hey ya David Welcome to the Asylum

From 2005 to present all the bikes are the same meaning no changes have been made to them also note that 2010 if you can find one will be the last year model of the LT instead it will be replaced by the new GTL model.

I have a 2009 bought new and I love the machine couple of thing could be better but you're going to find that with any bike.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
No such thing as a 2010 LT.. 09 is when they stopped making them

The new bike will be the K1600 GTL Or GT..

Not sure if they will produce an LT at this point...

John

·
Registered
14 Posts
It sounds like you and I are in a similar soup. My previous ride was an H-D and I purchased the 2009 LT. I really liked the handling of the H-D at speeds below 15 mph. My LT is more top heavy and requires more attention when moving at that pace.

Having said that, it's the only thing I miss (others may disagree) with my change. I really enjoy the increased power and handling on the road. The bike seems much tighter and responsive. The comfort is much better (I don't feel exhausted after a couple of hours).

I have a lot of friends and in-laws (two different groups :) ) who still ride H-D's. I'm surprised how many are asking to ride my LT when we ride together.

All the best on your decision.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
JPSpen said:
No such thing as a 2010 LT.. 09 is when they stopped making them

The new bike will be the K1600 GTL Or GT..

Not sure if they will produce an LT at this point...

John
I guess I meant to say "K1200LT" :)

·
Registered
910 Posts
WElcome aboard...
The bike is a different lady at speed.
SHe has character..ANd alot of poise... no posing here, real deal..

All bikes have a quirk or two.. Fraulein begs to go and go.

Nuff said.

Your coffee quote is right on... :D

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
Davidtn57 said:
I guess I meant to say "K1200LT" :)
Still, there are no new K1200LT's to be made. '09 was the last year BMW made any, some may be sold as 2010's, but the replacement at this point is going to be the new 1600 six cylinder GTL.

As already stated, few to any changes at all after 2005, so look for any new bike still on the floor, '09, '10, or whatever. You can likely get a good deal on a low mileage LT 2005 up, and get the same thing you would get in the newest one on any dealer's floor.

If you want the newest technology, wait for the 1600, probably late this year as a 2011 model.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Welcome!
While we might be a bit biased toward our LT's, (I've owned 2) we still tend to be pretty pragmatic about their idiosyncrasies.

The best judge will be YOU in a saddle of an LT to see how she feels to YOUR seat-of-the-pants. Hopefully, you can find a dealer with a used one who will let you take it out for a ride. Much different feel than a HD or a GW but they all have their strong points.

A lot of great info and as many opinions here as you would ever want! :)

·
Registered
683 Posts
Never owned an HD, spent a couple of years on my GL1800, a good bike, lots of power and torque, I don't think HD makes anything that can out perform it. That being said, I spent a lot of time asking myself if riding it was too sedate? I actually felt like it was kind of boring, almost like riding an accord or something...switched to the KLT last year, WOW I really like the ride, feels sporty, handles great, lots of knick knacks to play with, Wife really likes it, just can't get enough of that adjustable windshield.. :bike: :soapbox:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
casualemt said:
Never owned an HD, spent a couple of years on my GL1800, a good bike, lots of power and torque, I don't think HD makes anything that can out perform it. That being said, I spent a lot of time asking myself if riding it was too sedate? I actually felt like it was kind of boring, almost like riding an accord or something...switched to the KLT last year, WOW I really like the ride, feels sporty, handles great, lots of knick knacks to play with, Wife really likes it, just can't get enough of that adjustable windshield.. :bike: :soapbox:
That's one reason I'm looking at the LT or wait a while and go with the 1600, I just don't want something that will put me to sleep like I think the GW might do. Sure, Honda makes some of the best motors out there, but I'd at least like to know if the thing is running or not. Ha.

Thanks for all your responses. I'll continue to lurk a while so thanks so much for your welcomes.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Welcome to the forum--as for me and my wife all we ever see around here are HDs! I told her I wanted something that looked different, that was powerful and sleek, that had character and a wonderful line...with a note of sadness she replied, "Me too..." as she eyed some hot jock walking to his car...:(

Well, anywho that's how we came to own our LT--I have seen only one LT around here and probably a small number of other BMW models around our region. The riding is just a great bonus!!:D

·
Registered
89 Posts
While an 1800 Gold Wing might not actually put you to sleep (it has a GREAT motor), there ARE other things to consider.....like comfort. We are all built just a little bit different and some things just fit an individual better than others. For me, the LT has good ergonomics that are similar to the H-D in one respect, the reach to the bars. Riding an 1800 Wing makes me feel like my hands are right above my knees and my elbows are at my side.....I REALLY appreciate being able to 'reach out' to the bars on the LT....feels more natural to me. Also, I think you may like having your feet below you rather than poking out in front per H-D doctrine. I always think of it as riding a thoroughbred.......ever seen a jockey, or even a cowboy, with his feet stuck out in front of him? Ergos are a very individual and subjective thing, the LT works lots better than either 1800 or 1500 Gold Wing for me and significantly better than an H-D bagger.
Individual results may vary.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
wrmoss said:
Welcome to the forum--as for me and my wife all we ever see around here are HDs! I told her I wanted something that looked different, that was powerful and sleek, that had character and a wonderful line...with a note of sadness she replied, "Me too..." as she eyed some hot jock walking to his car...:(

Well, anywho that's how we came to own our LT--I have seen only one LT around here and probably a small number of other BMW models around our region. The riding is just a great bonus!!:D
Good one Wade!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts