BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, thanks for having me. :wave

My new/old '06 R1200RT is now in my garage. While it sat in my cousin's garage (the original owner), the battery has died. I have had it hooked up to a charger (I disconnected the battery first) on 2A overnight, and no progress.

Questions:
1. Should I bump the amps up to 10A and keep an eye on it?
2. Should I jump start it? I assume that a regular 12V battery will be safe to use as a donor battery.
3. If the battery is totally dead, do I need to buy a BMW battery (and how much are they?), or are there aftermarket batteries that will run this thing?

Thanks for any input. This is part 1 of many lol

·
Registered
448 Posts
If it's been sitting so long discharged, just get a new one. Doesn't have to be a BMW brand. Don't pump up the current. Most likely it's just chemically dead from sitting for so long. Get any brand battery that fits the fit and your budget.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Hi everyone, thanks for having me. :wave

My new/old '06 R1200RT is now in my garage. While it sat in my cousin's garage (the original owner), the battery has died. I have had it hooked up to a charger (I disconnected the battery first) on 2A overnight, and no progress.

Questions:
1. Should I bump the amps up to 10A and keep an eye on it?
2. Should I jump start it? I assume that a regular 12V battery will be safe to use as a donor battery.
3. If the battery is totally dead, do I need to buy a BMW battery (and how much are they?), or are there aftermarket batteries that will run this thing?

Thanks for any input. This is part 1 of many lol
Welcome to the forum and to the RT, Dave. You've come to the right place to get multiple and varied feedback.

A couple of observations before getting into your specific questions. Firstly, if this is a 2006 and this is the original BMW battery, you are living on borrowed time at best. Most of us here get on the order of 5 years or so out of the original battery, and you are at 2.5 times that. So if this is the original battery you might want to consider replacing just for peace of mind that you won't get stranded somewhere.

Secondly, lead-acid batteries do not always resurrect after a deep discharge. There are battery chargers that have desulfation cycles that can sometimes permit recovery from that, but if the battery deep discharged and stayed that way for a while, it may not be recoverable. Ask your cousin how long it sat.

If you left it on 2 amps overnight, say 12 hours, then you put 24 amp-hours into it. That is rough order of magnitude around the capacity of the battery, so it should have gotten it at least to a point where you can detect life. Best way to know if it worked would be to put a voltmeter on it. Anything less than 12 volts with an overnight charge of 2 amps would indicate to me that it's not responding.

So, to your questions:

1. 10 amps and watch it? Would not hurt, but feel the battery periodically to be sure it's not overheating. And don't leave it much beyond 4-5 hours.

2. Jump start? Standard 12V is fine, but be careful, the motorcycle battery terminals are close to the frame and it's easy to short to the frame with big jumper cable clamps.

3. BMW battery required? I think you will find almost unanimous opinion here that the BMW battery is NOT required or suggested. The Odyssey PC680 is a good choice for a replacement lead-acid battery. Some folks have gone for lithium ion as it's lighter weight but in general a bit more expensive. The original battery on my 2009 lasted five years and 58K miles, I replaced it in 2014 and the replacement PC680 is still going fine 30+K miles later. (Hey forum folks - doublecheck me on the PC680, I'm going from memory. Thanks.)

Judging what you've described, I would not hold out much hope for the battery that's in the bike unless it was recently replaced.

BTW, don't forget to do a full evaluation once you get the bike running. A full fluids replacement should be on your to-do list - oil/filter, transmission, final drive. Perhaps timing belt. As well as inspect the tires for cracking. I'm sure others here will have suggestions on how to bring the bike up to top-notch condition.

Best wishes.

JayJay

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome to the forum and to the RT, Dave. You've come to the right place to get multiple and varied feedback.

A couple of observations before getting into your specific questions. Firstly, if this is a 2006 and this is the original BMW battery, you are living on borrowed time at best. Most of us here get on the order of 5 years or so out of the original battery, and you are at 2.5 times that. So if this is the original battery you might want to consider replacing just for peace of mind that you won't get stranded somewhere.

Secondly, lead-acid batteries do not always resurrect after a deep discharge. There are battery chargers that have desulfation cycles that can sometimes permit recovery from that, but if the battery deep discharged and stayed that way for a while, it may not be recoverable. Ask your cousin how long it sat.

If you left it on 2 amps overnight, say 12 hours, then you put 24 amp-hours into it. That is rough order of magnitude around the capacity of the battery, so it should have gotten it at least to a point where you can detect life. Best way to know if it worked would be to put a voltmeter on it. Anything less than 12 volts with an overnight charge of 2 amps would indicate to me that it's not responding.

So, to your questions:

1. 10 amps and watch it? Would not hurt, but feel the battery periodically to be sure it's not overheating. And don't leave it much beyond 4-5 hours.

2. Jump start? Standard 12V is fine, but be careful, the motorcycle battery terminals are close to the frame and it's easy to short to the frame with big jumper cable clamps.

3. BMW battery required? I think you will find almost unanimous opinion here that the BMW battery is NOT required or suggested. The Odyssey PC680 is a good choice for a replacement lead-acid battery. Some folks have gone for lithium ion as it's lighter weight but in general a bit more expensive. The original battery on my 2009 lasted five years and 58K miles, I replaced it in 2014 and the replacement PC680 is still going fine 30+K miles later. (Hey forum folks - doublecheck me on the PC680, I'm going from memory. Thanks.)

Judging what you've described, I would not hold out much hope for the battery that's in the bike unless it was recently replaced.

BTW, don't forget to do a full evaluation once you get the bike running. A full fluids replacement should be on your to-do list - oil/filter, transmission, final drive. Perhaps timing belt. As well as inspect the tires for cracking. I'm sure others here will have suggestions on how to bring the bike up to top-notch condition.

Best wishes.

JayJay
Thank you for the detailed response. I certainly didn't have much hope that the battery would come back. It's definitely the original. He said he had it running about two months ago. Fluid changes are definitely on the calendar.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If it's been sitting so long discharged, just get a new one. Doesn't have to be a BMW brand. Don't pump up the current. Most likely it's just chemically dead from sitting for so long. Get any brand battery that fits the fit and your budget.
Thanks, Pappy! Budget? ha! :grin:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts