BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I've been riding for a while: started with a 650CSR Kawasaki in the early eighties; switched to a 94 Harley Heritage Classic, then an 03 BMW R1150R and now a 03 Harley Sportster I've had converted to an old school rigid bobber (which will be with me till the day I can't ride). I have my eye on a 1999 K1200LT with 61K miles and am hoping all y'all can give me an idea of what to be on the look out for with this bike....any known 'gotcha's' or some problem consistent with this particular year.

Thanks in advance!
Bill

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
The 99 is a good bike, as are all years of the LT. Maintenance records are helpful, a list of what has been replaced/serviced. Has the bike been stored for a while? If so, any fuel stabilizer added? How does it run? Normal bike stuff.

Final drive is one of the big buggers, and clutch and/or slave problems can also be a real PITA (and expensive if you do not do it yourself). Brake lines have been an issue for some LTs, and climate band as well as indoor or outdoor storage can be a factor.

There are many here who have forgotten more than I know about wrenching an LT, and some of them will likely chime in on this thread. You can also check the Hall of Wisdom and technical documents on tho site, and the search feature may also be quite handy to you.

·
Registered
335 Posts
bsndscrn said:
=and now a 03 Harley Sportster I've had converted to an old school rigid bobber (which will be with me till the day I can't ride). =

Thanks in advance!
Bill
You've got the right idea about that Sportster, Bill - hang on to that baby. I wish I still had mine. It was my first motorcycle, a '60 XLCH that I customized (rigid and raked) beyond rideability. It looked great and sounded even better. I would love to have it now to fire it up and blast down to the cantina and back. For anything further though, I gotta have the LT.

Tips

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Welcome aboard Bill. I think Tony & Bob have pretty well covered your questions. There is a lot of reading material on this forum and if you can't find what you are looking for, just ask. Members here are not short on opinions and advice. I like my 99 just fine and a plus for me is that it DOES NOT have integrated brake system. Makes things much simpler. Best wishes :D

·
Registered
426 Posts
Most LT's 2003 or newer don't have the rear drive failure concern.

·
Registered
339 Posts
And, if you do a pre-emptive rebuild [less than $100 with local member assistance or with instructions from this web sight] you'll likely have no problems with the final drive. Mines a 2000...also non-linked brakes and simpler abs and no servo assist...all positive points to me.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The bike has 98,000 KMs on it and I love it! I put 21,000KM on my 99 and so far I had to replace 1 front brake line, fork seals and starter relay due to old style welding itself in the on position. Easy to work on when you get past all the plastic.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey! Thanks all, I've been tied up with some family issues & would have thanked y'all sooner. Well, between the family stuff and my waffling about whether or not I should buy it....someone else bought it :( (1999 with 61K miles $5995) I see another one 2000 K1200Lt-S with 48K miles $6995. I'm thinking I want to find a 'C'ustom primarily for the heated seat since one of the primary reasons for buying the bike is to increase the number of days I ride (I don't mind riding in the rain except my current bike has no front fender or windscreen, nor do I mind riding in the cold (live in Cleveland, Ohio) a fairing & heated seat will make it more comfortable).

I am primarily searching Ebay and Cycletrader online for bikes....any other sources that anyone would recommend?

Thanks again all!

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
The classifieds on this site. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
bsndscrn said:
Hey! Thanks all, I've been tied up with some family issues & would have thanked y'all sooner. Well, between the family stuff and my waffling about whether or not I should buy it....someone else bought it :( (1999 with 61K miles $5995) I see another one 2000 K1200Lt-S with 48K miles $6995. I'm thinking I want to find a 'C'ustom primarily for the heated seat since one of the primary reasons for buying the bike is to increase the number of days I ride (I don't mind riding in the rain except my current bike has no front fender or windscreen, nor do I mind riding in the cold (live in Cleveland, Ohio) a fairing & heated seat will make it more comfortable).

I am primarily searching Ebay and Cycletrader online for bikes....any other sources that anyone would recommend?

Thanks again all!
Sent you a PM :bmw:

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
bsndscrn said:

Thanks again all!
Based on what others have been posting, those prices seem a little on the high side. Check the classified on this site, and there is also craigslist.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
I ride mine daily year round except for the very few days we have ice or snow on the roads. We do get some rain here in the Portland, OR area :histerica and as long as the idiots in the cages roll along at 15 mph or so I don't get wet. Unbelievable weather protection. Being able to lower the wind screen in the summer for increased airflow is a big help too.

You need to find one soon so you can start to wear the goofy grin we all get when we ride.

Loren

bsndscrn said:

Thanks again all!

·
Registered
22 Posts
bsndscrn said:

Thanks again all!

I hate it that you didn't get the bike, however it may be that your loss was in fact my gain. This sounds like the bike I just bought from All Seasons two weeks ago. I've put about a hundred miles on it so far and after 23yrs of Harleys, I'm lovin it. Can't wait for the regular warmer temps.... Best wishes on your search.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
TimmyT4Bass said:
This sounds like the bike I just bought from All Seasons two weeks ago. I've put about a hundred miles on it so far and after 23yrs of Harleys, I'm lovin it.
A hundred miles in two weeks??? Typical H-D rider! :rolleyes:

That is what a typical LT rider does BEFORE even stopping for that first cup of coffee. I bet you were able to cover eight or nine biker's bars for cold brewskies in those hundred miles, though.

Kidding aside, welcome to the neighborhood from one former Harley driver to another. I DO miss my FLHRCI, she was a one of a kind beauty. I love my LTs, though, the sure are a one of a kind riding machine.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Well, NO cold brewskies here. It's still 34 degrees in the mornings with a couple days in those two weeks hitting 45 or up. Now if I lived in Texas, I'd ride 200 miles each way to work everyday on this beast. Never would have happened on the HOG. I tried to get with my other three local K1200 owners and found 1 still had his bike in storage; 1 was here at work with me and the other... Was on his way back from Texas on his bike. :)

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
Ya mine is still in under cover in the garage. :( Can't wait for spring. Or at least more than one warm hour in a row. Crazy Ohio weather. Warm rainy, sunny cold , warm windy, then snow.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, I am making a little trip next wekend to take a look at another 1999 with the intent of making a purchase!!!
Re: a hundred miles or so in two weeks...hell! I put about 100 mi (round trip) the last time I had my rigid out....told the wife I was going out for a beer :histerica

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
TimmyT4Bass said:
I hate it that you didn't get the bike, however it may be that your loss was in fact my gain. This sounds like the bike I just bought from All Seasons two weeks ago. I've put about a hundred miles on it so far and after 23yrs of Harleys, I'm lovin it. Can't wait for the regular warmer temps.... Best wishes on your search.
Yep, Tim, I do believe that was the bike! I just waffled too long...good for you Tim! What do you think of the dealer (All Seasons)?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts