BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok guys the newbie biker wants to make a major trip, with my LT to Amarillo,Texas, Iowa and back to Tampa, Fl. I have the new (used) bike 2002, K1200LT and getting my license class done this weekend. This will give me until 3rd week of July to get as much driving experience with the touring bike as I can. There no time limit on getting there with lot's of stops seeing family along the way. "BUT" unless I don't feel competant to do it safely I will be compelled to postpone the trip. All that being said I'd like people to chime in on things a newbie should take along that I might not even think about or even helpfull tips. I already thought about the hemaroid cream! LoL

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
558 Posts
Beautiful bike! The main things to take are rain gear, camera and phone. If you intend to camp you will need at least a tent and sleeping bag. Many take cooking eqipment as well as eating utensils. At that time of year you shouldn't need cold weather gear. I try to carry a water jug as it can be a thirsty ride especially that time of year. Enjoy your trip.
 

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
Joined
·
8,603 Posts
If you have a smart Phone or other way to connect to this site make sure you take it. If something does come up you can post it here & people will come to help.
Other then that drink lots of water , I like vitamin water myself. Take breaks every 100 miles or so. If you start getting TOO tired STOP !!!! I would get a small 12 volt compressor & a tire plug kit to take care of a flat. (If you have it you will NEVER need it) :rolleyes: The main thing is to have fun. :wave
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,567 Posts
It is a nice looking bike and should be up to the trip. I think as new bike rider I would limit myself to 2 hours or so of straight riding. I have been biking about thirty years and know the longer I am in the seat the more likely that I will make a dumb decision. After a couple of hours stop at a scenic outlook, truck stop or small town start a conversation with someone have a coffee etc. after 20 minutes it is amazing how much more alert and aware you will be. On long trips I tend to get up early, 6:00 or so, have a quick coffee and then hit the road for a couple of hours and then have breakfast, back to riding and a couple of hours you'll be in need of a comfort break.......... One thing I can't state strongly enough is keep hydrated, drink lots of water, much more than you would hanging out at home. People will get dehydrated on a long ride and that will contribute to accidents as much as drinking and driving does.

I think you can do it and don't forget to take photos and have fun

Gerhard
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
Hi,

Having just got back from a somewhat shorter trip, 1000 miles around Cornwall which has a lot of very narrow roads, some single track with passing places, very steep bits with hairpin turns. My main recommendation is to do a dummy pack a good time before you go and practice practice practice. You only need to do this at the slow speeds. Carpark , junctions etc. Once up to 5mph you will never have trouble. If you want to be brave, also try this on wet grass and loose gravel. You do not always have the choice to avoid such things. The distance will not be a problem, it is the most comfortable mile eater I have ever ridden. You also have the luck to have the most comfortable and fastest colour.

By the way, you have never answered the question about 'where is your screen' !

Regards

Tony
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
216 Posts
Great to hear you are making the trip. I would suggest adding a 12V port to charge your cell phone as "smartphones" tend to suck up the battery life. Plus, you can listen to some great podcasts.

I would also look at taking your bike apart to do some general maintenance -- it will help if you have not done this already. On my trip to Savannah GA (on 4 wheels) last month, I pretty much drove 11 hours non-stop -- I was able to do this due to my smartphone being connected to many podcasts. It kept me mentally alert -- and a cup of coffee was a nice jolt too.

Keep us posted on how you make out.

Glenn

P.S. Read some old posts about the tools your should carry.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
katnapinn said:
If you have a smart Phone or other way to connect to this site make sure you take it. If something does come up you can post it here & people will come to help.
Other then that drink lots of water , I like vitamin water myself. Take breaks every 100 miles or so. If you start getting TOO tired STOP !!!! I would get a small 12 volt compressor & a tire plug kit to take care of a flat. (If you have it you will NEVER need it) :rolleyes: The main thing is to have fun. :wave
I have the tire repair kit with three Co2 cartridges. Don't know how to use it but at least I have it. I also will be taking my droid phone and ipad. Good idea about asking for help on the site. That would make a good forum heading for asking for emergency help for bikers on the road..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
tombstone said:
Hi,
By the way, you have never answered the question about 'where is your screen' !
Regards
Tony
I did but I guess you missed it! I thinnk I broke the record for fastest windscreen breakage. The first hour I owned it I was trying to put it on the centerstand and wasn't use to the weight. It feel over againt the wall and broke. Ordered another off eBad.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,897 Posts
RonHolly said:
I have the tire repair kit with three Co2 cartridges. Don't know how to use
Maybe grab an old tire and practice... It will never happen at a turn-off under a shade tree. I carry a tire repair kit and a tiny compressor. If I really needed to add air, the cartridge would be too small.

A search of this forum will also bring up a long list of things that some people carry on trips. I make sure to have the BMWON name and number booklet too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
338 Posts
All of the advise is good--though I am bit surprised. I would ask that you take a riders safety course, the LT is not the easiest bike to ride and for a beginner ?? Couldn't you have started out with something smaller, lighter ?
In any case, I wish you a safe trip !
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
185 Posts
"Cotton is rotten".. Gets wet stays wet. Wally world and others have inexpensive microfiber type shirts and underwear.

Texas in the summer you might want to consider a "coolvest". Keep it damp in a ziplock bag and freeze or refrigerate overnight if possible.

Hydrate, Hydrate, Hydrate.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
lesn said:
All of the advise is good--though I am bit surprised. I would ask that you take a riders safety course, the LT is not the easiest bike to ride and for a beginner ?? Couldn't you have started out with something smaller, lighter ?
In any case, I wish you a safe trip !
My safety course is this Saturday and Sunday. Then I get my license Tuesday. This is actually my fourth bike with a bunch of years in between. It is the heaviest one I've owned though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
228 Posts
RonHolly said:
Ok guys the newbie biker wants to make a major trip, with my LT to Amarillo,Texas, Iowa and back to Tampa, Fl. I have the new (used) bike 2002, K1200LT and getting my license class done this weekend. This will give me until 3rd week of July to get as much driving experience with the touring bike as I can. There no time limit on getting there with lot's of stops seeing family along the way. "BUT" unless I don't feel competant to do it safely I will be compelled to postpone the trip. All that being said I'd like people to chime in on things a newbie should take along that I might not even think about or even helpfull tips. I already thought about the hemaroid cream! LoL

Maybe it;s just the pic but has your bike been touched up or repainted?
The reason I ask is on the rear side bag the paint don't look right where it meets the chrome.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,024 Posts
Nice looking Bike!!! :D
+1 on what has already been said. especially the stay hydrated part.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
285 Posts
RonHolly said:
Ok guys the newbie biker wants to make a major trip, with my LT to Amarillo,Texas, Iowa and back to Tampa, Fl. I have the new (used) bike 2002, K1200LT and getting my license class done this weekend. This will give me until 3rd week of July to get as much driving experience with the touring bike as I can. There no time limit on getting there with lot's of stops seeing family along the way. "BUT" unless I don't feel competant to do it safely I will be compelled to postpone the trip. All that being said I'd like people to chime in on things a newbie should take along that I might not even think about or even helpfull tips. I already thought about the hemaroid cream! LoL


You have heard the replies about hydrating. I never go on a road trip without a camelback (backpack that hikers use) strapped on the passenger backrest. When you stop for fuel, fill up the bladder at the fountain machine and buy a 1 liter bottle of water and it will last at least to the next fuel stop. I have ridden across Kansas in early August at over 100 degrees all afternoon.

Lowell
 

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
Joined
·
8,603 Posts
RonHolly said:
I have the tire repair kit with three Co2 cartridges. Don't know how to use it but at least I have it. I also will be taking my droid phone and ipad. Good idea about asking for help on the site. That would make a good forum heading for asking for emergency help for bikers on the road..
The 1 & only time I tried the Co2 cartridges 4 of them only filled the tire about 1/2 way up. Get a small 12V compressor you will not be sorry. Also as Dan said if you have an old tire try putting a few plugs in it so you know how to do it.
 
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top