BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My throttle is very slow to turn.

It has resistance to it.

I am going to a junk yard in Florida that had 2 K1200lt (1999 and 2003 years).

I am going to take more parts, like the throttle assembly off the 2003 if it is still there.

Some one told me there was a redesign of the Throttle assembly, but I do not know the year of the change.

I am planning on spraying some lithium oil or Teflon in the cables.

Some one suggested about a spring at the end of the throttle cable to tight?

Another other ideas or suggestions?

Thank you.

PS.

I actually like working on this motorcycle.

It is either I have the time and no money or have money and no time.

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
I don't know the year it was changed but I can show you what to look for. Any kind of lubrication is not recommended for these cables. The throttle is heavier than on other bikes but there are things that can contribute to it being too stiff. The new cable design helps. There is also the possibility of gunk under the throttle and the heated grips turn it to tar. In order to get the grip off, you have to thread the electrical wires out from a hole up at the front of the bars. Tie a string on it as you pull it out so it is easier to get back in.

You will need to get the underside plastic cover to the right side as there is a hole in it ( or make a hole in your own ) for routing the new cable design if you find one of the LT's have been updated. Here is what to look for in the pics below. One of my new style pics seems to have one the return cable missing but it still gives you an idea of what to look for.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,949 Posts
Check out this BMW Bulletin

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts