BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi this is my first post I'm based in Sydney Au. I've recently decided to add another bike to the garage, and are considering the K1200LT, purpose being long distance two up touring, I really love the look of this bike, but my main concern is mostly on reliability and power to weight, I see lot's of documented issues, how reliable is the bike? I already own a '07 XX Blackbird and absolutely love it for one up riding, it is awesome, power, handling, acceleration, reliability etc it's really a fun very powerfull bike to ride. What it does lack is the ability to tour long distances comfortably with a pillion. I'd like the best of both worlds (if there's such a thing) so I figure the blackbird stays for solo rides and I invest in a serious tourer for weekends away with the wife or son. Has anyone considered this option of a sports bike and a tourer? Any advice or expiences is appreciated. BTW - excellent forum!!

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
Welcome!
I had an ST1100 for years before getting the K1200LT, a fast tourer, but limited me to 5 hours riding.
The K1200LT easerly doubles that and add luxury comfort for the pillion.
I don't notice any lack of accelleration and the ST is a fast bike - the police used to use them here.
Reliability - on a forum like this you will see people asking questions when things go wrong. This is not a good way of guaging the reliability.
Many people here have over 100,000 miles trouble free riding.
I, on the other hand, have been delt a duff hand. But it is still the best bike for the job of 2 up, long distence luxury on 2 wheels.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
I love mine. Reliable, I took a 99 from Florida to Alaska and back, last year. Had zero problems.

Greetings from Florida..........

·
Registered
256 Posts
My '02 has failed exactly once in about 25,000 miles. The battery died at home, in the garage, and I lost no vacation riding time, and was not inconvenienced at all. For me, that's reliable enough.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts