BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced my throttle cables. Thanks to all who have posted their process and the link to get the bulliten. It took a bit of work but in the end success was had. I did however have a stiff/sticky throttle even after putting the new ones on. I talked with Chris at BMW Denver who asked if I routed them correctly. Well, I thought I had. I was looking at the photos in the PDF and thought I had it right. Wasn't until I realized Acrobat allows you to zoom in on the document that I saw I was a little off. Didn't look like it would matter much but it did. The rerouting made a difference but it was still not quite free enough. Chris also mentioned to clean the return springs with carb cleaner. After I did this a couple times and then used a Teflon based dry spray lubricant (from Home Depot) it is now working like better than I remember it new!
Now I don't want to use the higher gears because there is so much response in the lower ones now. What a joy!

·
Registered
564 Posts
I posted about a similar experience I had when I changed my cables back in December. I found the lube on the bar where the grip rotates had congealed to the consistency of something akin to the adhesive on a Post-It note. It had a real tack to it which you could feel when rotating the throttle. I cleaned that off and relubed. That alone would probably have solved most of the problem without replacing the cables. Combined with the new cables, the difference was like night and day.

Like you said, what a joy!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts