BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
50 degrees on January 2nd....yeah I'm going for a ride.
Quick loop down to the coast at Ocean Bluff in Marshfield Mass, cool mural as a backdrop for these pics that was across the street from an old WW2 concrete artillery fire control tower.

Attachments

·
Registered
2018 R1200RT
276 Posts
It is raining here in Ohio, but I took the RT out for a ride anyway. I have not rode the RT in the rain, so it was a chance to see how it does in the rain as well as get a ride on the 1st day of the year. Bike did well in the rain. Very happy with how it handles both wet and dry.
I could have sworn that it snowed in Ohio in winter. Here in Northern Idaho, it's been sub-20F for about a week, though it's warming. Warming, just in time to add another 12" of snow over the coming week, on top of the existing, maybe 8" base, and I'm in the not-so-snowy part of N. Idaho, too.

My RT is sleeping hard, for the winter, though I expect to wake her up to start adding the farkles I've been collecting. I don't see getting out for a ride, snow, rain, or shine, until April at the earliest. You winter warriors impress the heck outta me. 👍

(But then, I'm a California transplant, I've lived in 4-season climates before this, but I'm still not the hardy Idahoan type. My neighbor has been running up and down the street on his 4-wheeler in 5F weather, plow attached, just plowing everything in sight (i.e. we have city plows come through; he's finishing their minimally done job). I told him that I could tell that he's going through winter withdrawals by his 4-wheeler action, i.e. he can't wait to get out on his snowmobile. 🤣🤣🤣 These folks born and raised here are a different breed. Of course, they're all smart enough to have better winter gear than I have, but still, IT'S FREAKING COLD OUT THERE!! 😒)

·
Registered
2018 R1200RT
276 Posts
Quick loop down to the coast at Ocean Bluff in Marshfield Mass, cool mural as a backdrop for these pics that was across the street from an old WW2 concrete artillery fire control tower.
That's DEFINITELY a faked picture. That bike is WAY too clean for a winter ride in Massachusetts. I was there over a year, commuting from Westford to Boston, and I can remember NO 50F, snowless, winter days during my time there. All I recall is feet of snow in Westford, icy roads in, and bitter, blowing cold in Boston. Still, it was a great experience, took the whole family along on a year long business consulting gig, and had a blast.

Nice bike, nice pix, great winter ride! 👍😁🍻

·
Registered
27 Posts
That's DEFINITELY a faked picture. That bike is WAY too clean for a winter ride in Massachusetts. I was there over a year, commuting from Westford to Boston, and I can remember NO 50F, snowless, winter days during my time there. All I recall is feet of snow in Westford, icy roads in, and bitter, blowing cold in Boston. Still, it was a great experience, took the whole family along on a year long business consulting gig, and had a blast.

Nice bike, nice pix, great winter ride! 👍😁🍻
HA!
I can usually squeeze at least a day or two in each of the winter months here. I try to avoid recently salted roads and keep an eye out for black ice.
Bike is a filthy mess now and will get a wash after a another 50 degree ride on Wednesday, after that the long term forecast doesnt look good.

·
Registered
173 Posts
1More, in the town with the tower is that where they filmed Equalizer 2? Sure looks familiar.

·
Registered
27 Posts
1More, in the town with the tower is that where they filmed Equalizer 2? Sure looks familiar.
Same state but the movie was filmed in Boston and Lynn.
Place I was today is south of the city closer to Plymouth and Cape Cod. :cool:
There a few similar towers along the New England coast, they were used as spotters for coastal defense artillery.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Same state but the movie was filmed in Boston and Lynn.
Place I was today is south of the city closer to Plymouth and Cape Cod. :cool:
There a few similar towers along the New England coast, they were used as spotters for coastal defense artillery.

Thanks, now I had to go find it. Tower scene was in Brant Rock.

Reactions: 1More

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I could have sworn that it snowed in Ohio in winter. Here in Northern Idaho, it's been sub-20F for about a week, though it's warming. Warming, just in time to add another 12" of snow over the coming week, on top of the existing, maybe 8" base, and I'm in the not-so-snowy part of N. Idaho, too.

My RT is sleeping hard, for the winter, though I expect to wake her up to start adding the farkles I've been collecting. I don't see getting out for a ride, snow, rain, or shine, until April at the earliest. You winter warriors impress the heck outta me. 👍

(But then, I'm a California transplant, I've lived in 4-season climates before this, but I'm still not the hardy Idahoan type. My neighbor has been running up and down the street on his 4-wheeler in 5F weather, plow attached, just plowing everything in sight (i.e. we have city plows come through; he's finishing their minimally done job). I told him that I could tell that he's going through winter withdrawals by his 4-wheeler action, i.e. he can't wait to get out on his snowmobile. 🤣🤣🤣 These folks born and raised here are a different breed. Of course, they're all smart enough to have better winter gear than I have, but still, IT'S FREAKING COLD OUT THERE!! 😒)
You are right about the snow in Ohio,and I am not looking forward to it. I do live south of the snow belt,but we still get snow just not as much or as often. Most winters my bike stays in garage from end of October till April. Most years I am just not interested in riding once the leaves are off the trees and everything looks dead. This year has been different. I got the RT last April and never rode it much. I have been busy building my resto mod 46 chevy truck . Now the truck is not done, but is starting to look like a truck and I can see the end in site ,I have been riding when I can,even if it is just short rides. Cold is coming.

·
Cat Herder
1,620 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Reactions: Convince Me
1 - 20 of 41 Posts