BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Friday to all. My name is Mike. I live in N.W. Pa., and trailered home a 2001 K1200LT yesterday with 8061 miles on the clock. I bought it with a dead battery in a "will not run" condition. As a former Mercedes Benz tech and also a licensed aircraft mechanic, I thought with the proper schooling and advice plus some money, I could make this into a Sunday afternoon cruiser that my wife would feel secure on. So after removing the battery to see if I could resurrect it, I hooked up my Troybilt tiller battery to check electrical functions. Everything seems to work. I then managed to get it on its center stand, put the side stand up, put it in neutral, put the kill switch in center and with the clutch pulled in......nothing. Any advise from you seasoned weight lifters? Thanks in advance, Mike.:frown:

·
Registered
84 Posts
Greetings ,..and you've come to the right place. Lot of very experienced LT owners that will help get you going. Usually, after the battery completely dies or has been disconnected, then reconnecting fresh, the alarm goes off, so possibly something with immobilzer. Do you have all the panel lights lit? On center stand, in neutral, the side stand kill switch wouldn't be in play.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Make sure it's not in Reverse. Knob on the left side of the bike above the footpeg.

·
Premium Member
630 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello again. Thanks to all who replied to my post last week! I followed the link sent by Alabrew and she started right up! I need to sort out the windscreen as it appears as if someone coated it with some sort of instant headlight renew! Alcohol dissolves it but to do the whole thing would be painstaking. Considering a new one to get the bike on the road faster. So all pride aside, I tipped it twice in my garage trying to reposition it for more working room. At 61 with more than my share of arthritis, I don't know if I could pick it up myself on the street or not without help. That said, it is a 2001 with 8061 miles and should give long term service with a few upgrades. Thanks to all! Mike.

·
Premium Member
7,623 Posts
Hello again. Thanks to all who replied to my post last week! I followed the link sent by Alabrew and she started right up! I need to sort out the windscreen as it appears as if someone coated it with some sort of instant headlight renew! Alcohol dissolves it but to do the whole thing would be painstaking. Considering a new one to get the bike on the road faster. So all pride aside, I tipped it twice in my garage trying to reposition it for more working room. At 61 with more than my share of arthritis, I don't know if I could pick it up myself on the street or not without help. That said, it is a 2001 with 8061 miles and should give long term service with a few upgrades. Thanks to all! Mike.
At nearly 60 myself, I don’t try to move the LT by walking beside it as I do with almost all other motorcycles. I only move it while astride it. If you are walking beside it and it gets more than a couple of degrees tilted away from you, it is very unlikely that you will keep it upright.

Reactions: kbob12

·
Registered
332 Posts
Don’t ever push her around your garage without having the side stand deployed! When in doubt I pull her to me onto the side stand.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am learning that i must be on the saddle while moving around the garage. I am alone a lot since I am retired and my wife has a few more years to go. So instead of re-injuring my back I put a nylon sling on the left side lift handle and lifted it with my cherry picker. Was a little unsure if the single lift point was stout enough, but it did the job.

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
I am learning that i must be on the saddle while moving around the garage. I am alone a lot since I am retired and my wife has a few more years to go. So instead of re-injuring my back I put a nylon sling on the left side lift handle and lifted it with my cherry picker. Was a little unsure if the single lift point was stout enough, but it did the job.
I am 63 years old, and I weigh 135 lbs., am 5'8" and I paddle around sitting on the bike because it is scary trying to push that much weight around! Occasionally, I will move the bike around, but mostly I will sit on the saddle when I move it around.. I am surprised I can put the beast on the center stand after each ride... when I can't I will buy a new, lighter motorcycle.
I love my 2000 KLT!
You will, too!
Cheers!

·
Registered
601 Posts
I too am 60 this year but I consider myself fit and strong for my age. I still do a physical job for a living. However I have never moved the LT while standing beside it. I always sit on it and in most cases move it under it's own power. Even though it s an 05 it didn't come with the electric centre stand, previous owner removed it when it failed. I am surprised at how easy it is to put up on the centre stand for it's weight. Seems to be a lot of us here in this age bracket.:toast:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts