BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems there is a pecking order around here and some crappy attitudes. I just wanted to learn a bit more about my bike, not put up with BS from liberals and ego driven people. So, I bid you all farewell and safe riding.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
glapple said:
Seems there is a pecking order around here and some crappy attitudes. I just wanted to learn a bit more about my bike, not put up with BS from liberals and ego driven people. So, I bid you all farewell and safe riding.
I reviewed the posts in the other threads you've participated in, and with the exception of the England thread, the responses have been overwhelmingly helpful/encouraging -- so I'm calling B.S. on you child-like tantrum.

When you objected to the avatar in the manner you did, you moved directly away from your self-professed "I just wanted to learn a bit more about my bike" bit -- YOU started a bar fight, coming into a more-than-a-decade-old community and assuming that just because YOU didn't like an avatar, you had the right to demand its immediate removal. Ironically, the term "holier than thou" comes to mind for some reason.

If you had a lick of sense, you would have clicked that little button at the bottom that allows you to report something you found offensive and communicate with a mod to learn whether your view was shared. Then, on seeing the response (or lack thereof, as appropriate -- the moderators have a *great*, well-time-honed sense of what can/should go/not go here), you could have decided whether you wanted to stay or not.

The point is that you should be clear that that WE are not the ones driving you out -- this is entirely a decision made by you, in a situation entirely brought on yourself. Believe it or not, you would still be welcome to stay -- YOUR choice from here.

This is a *remarkably* open, tolerant and accepting group, particularly for a faceless Internet forum. Indeed, the group has often accepted the return of those that have "blown a fuse" and stomped out of the room like a 4 year old (this from someone who has seen for the last decade or so the efforts behind the scenes that the moderators go to to be light and even-handed, while still maintaining a "family-friendly" atmosphere -- yeah, I was a mod for several years).

And before you start throwing the labels around (which, I note, is usually the sign of the one with the most intellectually bankrupt views -- resorting to name-calling when they have no intellectually substantial position with which to engage in honest sharing of divergent views) -- don't bother with the "L"-word, as I'm solidly to the right of center -- yet obviously more tolerant of differing opinions than you.

Personally, I thought the avatar was hilarious, on several levels. Of course, that may be because I see 99% of Christians and 99% of Islamists embracing their respective faiths without trying to impose their beliefs on others, and understanding the difference between personal experience of spirituality and reflexive, mindless dogmatic fixation on symbols.

FWIW, I readily acknowledge that you were offended by the avatar, and believe it or not, I do not dismiss it as not important to you. On balance, however, the community's desire for open (WHILE REMAINING RESPECTFUL OF OTHERS) discourse suggests that the avatar should not have to be removed. If it is too offensive for you to continue to bear here, that will be a shame -- you could benefit from the BMW knowledge here, and we will miss out on the discoveries/knowledge/contributions you likely would have contributed. But again, that will be your call, not ours.

·
Miles of Smiles
1,054 Posts
Mark, what brand of oil would be good to use in the new 1600GTL ?

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Hilton said:
Mark, what brand of oil would be good to use in the new 1600GTL ?
:rotf: :histerica :rotf: :histerica :rotf:

HEY! No religious zealot discussions here! :D

:thumb:

·
Registered
726 Posts
glapple said:
I my self have not found any thing but GOOD remarks here! WTF Are you talking about?
This form has helped me many times and is a very valuable place to get those questions answered! :mad:

·
Registered
327 Posts
glapple said:
From another new member, what a shame it seems that in this day and age someone who appears to be able to function professionaly and internationaly and who enjoys riding wonderful motorcycles has such a small amount of tolerance for difference. This sort of intolerance is what drives hatred and bigotry. I think that you will like England. Much of the year the weather is as miserable as you seem based on your intolerant little rant.
By the way, Im not really dadicool59. I am Brian and so is my wife! :histerica
C'mon stick around and have some fun :wave

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
glapple said:
Well as a Moderator I went back & looked at all your post ,even the one you posted then deleted at 7:42 PM last night, so Who did you "Report" to about your dislike of an avitar that NO ONE else including many Christian forum members like myself have not objected to? Not all mods are on here all the time that is why we have many of them to look after this site. Some only look after parts of the forum & other over see everything.
That being said your welcome to stay or go it makes no difference .

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
glapple said:
YOU are wrong in so many ways.... and you are the one who will loose......

There is a reason why I support this forum (I am a PAID member) with more than lip service and that is because in the years that I have been a member I have NEVER used/read/frequented/heard of another that was so professionally run or gained so much from.

Because of the amount of help and knowledge SHARED with everyone and so generously, I would be embarrassed to not contribute at least a dollar month. In fact, I feel that everyone who gains from this site should at least share an hour of service shop time annually as their contribution

I probably would not have kept the bike were it not for this forum, nor would I have received so much pleasure from it, were it not for this forum.

From time to time, I do get to read things that I don't necessarily agree with, but that's about 1% of the time. Occasionally a thread will take a side trip, but that too is the exception and not the norm.

I have met some of the nicest people I know here and cannot begin to count the amount of knowledge that is so quickly and generously shared.

Reading your comments embarrasses me because I know , over the years that I have been a member, how much the volunteers and moderators put into making this the best possible forum.

Please tell me another that is better and so full of help in all areas of life, not just your motorcycle? Where can you get the help we all get here at any cost? Where can you get it for free if you are so inclined?

·
Registered
737 Posts
"Nutten~Honey". Self-serving noobie imploded.

He did indeed, as he noted in that thread, send me a rather "unpleasant" email to re-enforce his name calling and intolerance of other people opinions.

Based on that, I honestly think he's making a good decision to stop using the forum. I seriously doubt he can participate in any open forum without inevitably being "offended" and shooting his mouth off.

Maybe he just doesn't know how forums work. Maybe he needs to hit this link and learn something.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Well, all I can say is, from my very first post, all I have received has been consideration and helpful comments. Sometimes there is humor as well which must be taken as intended. I might say that in many cases you get what you give :D

Since you have indicated that you are leaving, you probably won't see the responses (or are you lurking in the shadows :p ) In any case, my response is "If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen" :rolleyes:

BTW, make sure that fish oil is OMEGA III, your LT will love you :D

·
Registered
60 Posts
My post count is low but I am not new here as I check in a half dozen times a day and have for years. The interpretation may be accurate or misguided or the the avatar owner may simply own a "Captain D's" or two. Perception can be reality but it rarely is. Proctor & Gamble come to mind. Not that it matters, but it does not offend me for many reasons, I neither know the background or the intent. We embrace symbols we agree with and disgrace those we don't, in the end, they are just symbols, not the real thing.

I wish you well but a word of advice, DO NOT GO TO THE ADV. SITE.

Ride safely ya'll

Terry

·
Registered
216 Posts
In the immortal words of Curly Bill (Tombstone), "Well... bye. "

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
I thought it was hilarious especially the "trek" response....Good one..:rotf:

You are obviously one of those religious zealots we all hear about...

You take yourself and "your" God so seriously that you are intolerant of others..

Just the opposite of what "My" God would want...

So now that we've determined that "your" God and "my" God are different..

We can have jihad...

Jihad on you and your intolerance of others...Death to the infidel.....And all that crap...

Please stick around and try to not take yourself so seriously...

You should hear some of the jokes Jesus tells..

You do know Jesus was a drunk, Don't you ? Why else would he turn water into wine..

John

·
Premium Member
5,852 Posts
mneblett said:
And here we have the winner in the category of the best avatar for the subject matter of this thread award! :rotf:

See post #15 and #26, et seq. here: http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51724

Funny how the OP took offense at chips, but not trek in your ealier post in the same thread. Selective sensibilities??
Mark,

Are you serious, THAT is the problem he's taking his ball and goes to play somewhere else?

Why in Ceiling Cats name is that offensive? I have been accused in the past (sometimes correctly) to be insensitive but in this particular case I really will be. Whatever you believe why this is offensive I don't get it, and quite frankly I don't want to get it. The avatar in question is funny and well thought out.

... Just had to ask one of my (very) religious co-workers if he could see anything even remotely offensive in the avatar. When I showed him the avatar his first reaction was to laugh about it, and after being explained the situation his statements aren't even printable here, but suffice it to say they ended with something like This guy's should get his head examined, .... Just not as polite.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
andy said:
Mark,

Are you serious, THAT is the problem he's taking his ball and goes to play somewhere else?
Yep, Andy -- that be the one. :thumb:

I suspect he wasn't expecting to get quite the response he's received in this thread. :D

1 - 20 of 68 Posts