BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok..... I made the plunge... Going to pick up a Uni-Go trailer in Salt Lake City on 9/07/2006. Scheduled SLC BMW service my LT and install the wirering harness .

It is an 2003 Classic with a Uni-Go LT hitch, & extra tire.
Question for all of you LT's that pull Uni-go's

1. What do I need to look for ?
2. What need's replaced after being used. IE wheel bearings ect.
3. weight distribution ????
4. Any good after market part sites.
5. Any thing I should need to know before I pull it back to Albuquerque NM?
Your input will be greatly appreciated.
Please any comments referring to me being as dumb as a stick for pulling a trailer need not be posted.. Just kidding :rolleyes:
Thanks in advance :thumb:

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Make sure the universal hitch moves freely in both directions. The bearings for the universal tend to lock up over time. There is another thread where Don Norwood identified a location for a "better" replacement bearing. Haven't got time now to search for the thread but know its out there. Ditto what Dave says about weight, it is not fun at all with it empty, when loaded you don't know its there.

·
Registered
208 Posts
also

A while back there was some issues with the uni-go trailer blowing fuses. It happened on mine and Bruce Yate's at the time. THe fix was to uncrimp the wiring in the braklight housing in the unigo trailer.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Tomakazie said:
Ok..... I made the plunge... Going to pick up a Uni-Go trailer in Salt Lake City on 9/07/2006. Scheduled SLC BMW service my LT and install the wirering harness .

Please any comments referring to me being as dumb as a stick for pulling a trailer need not be posted.. Just kidding :rolleyes:
Since you have the extra tire you shouldn't need much more. I'll agree that you should have *some* weight in it for highway speeds but other than that you won't know it's back there.

There are a couple of threads you can search for that give you the part number for the wheel bearing & a better universal for the hitch, but the new American made may not need the universal joint, who knows?<shrug>

Uh, weight distribution? If you got an anvil, put it over the wheel. Other than that there ain't much "distribution" you can do........

Stick's advice about learning to use the mirrors to back it is spot on! Lookin' over your shoulder will only make it harder. Trust me, I know...........

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,458 Posts
hoodoodrum said:
Wonder if pulling a trailer precipitates rear drive failure?
Doubt it - take a look at the sampling of members with rear drive failures (click the survey button above) who responded to that question - I think it wuz like ~15% pulled a trailer and ~85% didn't. About the same with us locals who've had rear bearing failures - 1 outta the six with a failure pulled a trailer.

·
Premium Member
2,062 Posts
Tomakazie said:

Here is link to Hall of Wisdom on trailer and much info on the Uni-GO..

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/faq.php?faq=how_index_1#faq_how_faq_acctrailer

Hope this helps...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts