BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

New top case fro 2014 RT

Tags
box case top
5K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  jimjim 
#1 ·
Other than BMW what options do I have for a top case. It seems that Givi does not have the adaptor bracket for the 2014 RT yet. What works best? I need a large size case.

Ian

#2 · (Edited)
Firstly, let me qualify my following statement: I have NO previous experience with Givi products, but I understand that they make a nice topcase. Givi makes topcases and mounting brackets for the 2013 R12RT's (and prior). A BMW topcase for a 2013 R12RT will fit a 2014 R12RT...if that is the case then a Givi mounting bracket for a 2013 12RT should fit a 2014 12RT. Is my logic flawed?

#3 ·
#5 ·
A 2013 BMW top case costs about half the cost of a 2014 top case. 2014 RT owners around here, including me, went with the 2013 top case.

#7 ·
I'm not sure, but I'm thinking the Givi adapter plate for the 14s may be, MAY be, different than those from previous years. TRanger's logic should be sound, but the overall shape of the 14 rack may be slightly different than the previous years. The mounting holes may be the same, but the overall shape may not and that may necessitate a different plate.

#8 ·
I use the Givi Trekker 52 L top case with their rack and backrest when I use one. If I remember from the application chart, the mounting adapter plate for my 2009 was kind of "universal" and left quite a bit of latitude on how it fit.

Givi now has a 42-L "Outback" case that I probably would have bought if it had been available when I got my Trekker.

JayJay

Attachments

#12 ·
I have used this Coocase on several bikes and like it, it is 48 litre and comes with inner liner top and bottom. I although I already mounted it with universal
mount that is included, I just discovered they have an RT adaptor so I just ordered it, I didn't like the way the mount sat on the rear rack, I hope the adaptor will cure this, the case with mount is $300ish, the RT adaptor is $15.

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/attachm...ent.php?attachmentid=64858&stc=1&d=1409783632

Attachments

#13 ·
I have a 2016RT that I used the standard plastic monokey apapter plate for my GIVI case.
The hardware provided is not adequate and must be modified. The gullwing brackets provided aren't long enough to grip the plastic rack properly and will fail. The screws also aren't long enough and 50mm lengths were needed. I made my own brackets out of 1/8" x 1" steel. The front brackets were gull wing style but just long enough to fit in rack, rear bracket was ~7" long with 1/4" wings to prevent slippage due to vibration. Installation is tricky and unless you have ready access to a hardware store I'd suggest another brand.
PS. My case and plate came off bike within 50 miles using provided brackets!
Jim - StL MO

#14 ·
Givi makes a nice aluminum rack SRA 5113 (mono key) for the 14-16 RT, but it's a pain in the butt to install.

I prefer Givi over BMW to be able to change top case sizes depending on my needs

I think I posted on here last year

#15 ·
#16 ·
I wish someone would make an adapter that you could attach to a small Seahorse/Pelican type case that you could then attach by means of quick on-off release to the stock rack. I ride a lot without my side cases and never use the top case unless on a trip. A black Seahorse top case and a tank bag would be perfect for me on most day rides.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.