BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to drop in and say hello. A little about me..... I'm a speed freak by heart, but lately I have been looking for a cruiser. I found a K1200LT that has totally stole my heart. It's a 2001 with 6K miles on it. Its been kept in an airconditioned shop and looks like new. I am stoked about this bike. I can't sleep at night just waiting to pick it up. I should take delivery of the bike next week and will post pics of it a soon as I can. Here's a pic of my current bike. It's a Turbo Hayabusa with a GT35R turbo stage III race kit, sporting 550HP at the weheel. Told I was a speed freak...LOL... Pics of the K1200LT coming soon.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I have a question about the K1200LT. One thing about the bike I'm getting is the ABS light is blinking on and off on the dash. How do I fix this? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Welcome. The LT will not be "quite" as fast as your current machine but if you keep the rpm's up I'm sure you will be pleasantly suprised.
Flashing ABS - top up the brake fluid resevoir on the right side behind the drivers seat (partially under the pillion seat). It only has to be a little bit low to set off the flashing.
Paul Sayegh from this site sells an incredible repair video that is "must have".
Check back often --- this site has been the best resource I have ever found --and enjoy your ride.
Oh and BTW - if you do find that this site has helped you thru the "rough spots" don't forget to make a donation:dance:

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have ridden the K1200LT once already and I was surprisingly shocked at how well it moved for the size of the bike. I was cruising along trying to get comfortable with all the gadgets and gauges, before I knew it I was cruising at 85 MPH and it felt more like 50MPH. My Busa will go from zero to 200MPH in 8 seconds so there's not much on 2 wheels or 4 for that matter than can shock me in the speed category. I have taken the Busa up to 230MPH to satisfy my need for speed but the BMW is for class and a cruiser. I really want to take a long road trip and the Busa is just to uncomfortable for long trips.

How do I make a contribution to the site? I would love to donate to the cause because believe me, once I get the bike, I will be asking some questions. Most of my question will be searchable so I will do my best not to ask nagging questions that have been answered before.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Long trips are what they are made for:) .
As to making that donation -- go to the home page and you will see, in highlighted blue, a link called "to become a supporting member" or "donations".
Hope to see you on the road.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
PhantomK12LT said:
Just wanted to drop in and say hello.]
And Hello to you too. Nice paint job, your own work? or did you get it done for you. There is a thread currently running about custom paint jobs, you might be able to contribute to that. Anyway, welcome and enjoy the bike.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
myk_edwards said:
And Hello to you too. Nice paint job, your own work? or did you get it done for you. There is a thread currently running about custom paint jobs, you might be able to contribute to that. Anyway, welcome and enjoy the bike.

Thanks for the welcome. I had the bike painted in Pasadena at Mike Milburns paint shop. The artist was Don Tipton (TIP).

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Hey Terry...welcome to the loony bin. :crazy: Nice Busa. Have you "officially" been clocked at over 200? Inquiring minds and all. I'm guessing you're buying the LT because the Busa's not the best choice for cross-country trips. ;)

Speed freak here as well. And though I've never had a bike turbo'ed, my ZX-11 was purty quick. Then again, it was my other daily rider and I could ride it for 800 miles a day as well. My current GT don't suck in the speed department...though it tops out in the upper 150s.

Those disco ABS lights may be caused by low fluid. Just an ounce or two low in the rear reservoir, and that'll happen.

Don't be a stranger. You'll find this forum to be one of the most friendly, and most informative forums in cyberspace. Not just for the K1200LT, but all things relating to riding...especially long-distance touring. :)

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Terry,

Welcome to the site and to the "new" to you LT. When you get a chance scroll down to the Regional boards and check out the South Central board.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Hey, welcome to the family. Great looking 'busa. You didn't say whether you rode the LT, but if you didn't. the ABS lights will flash until the bike hits about 3mph, then they go out. If you did ride it, then topping off the fluid may solve the problem.

Stay safe and find a safe place in the garage for that 'busa because once you get the LT it probably won't be seeing much use! :histerica

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
RiderRay said:
You didn't say whether you rode the LT, but if you didn't. the ABS lights will flash until the bike hits about 3mph, then they go out.
Good point. More specifically however, the ABS lights flash until the front wheel rotates and the ABS system is synced. I can't remember the number of revolutions (or distance) specifically though. :eek: It's approximately 20 feet.

A few other tidbits regarding flashing ABS lights. Some have reported that a weak battery can cause this. Others have reported that disconnecting the battery for 30 minutes and reconnecting will reset the error code. And lastly, (worse case scenario) some ABS error codes have to be cleared at the dealer before the lights will stop.

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,458 Posts
PhantomK12LT said:
I have a question about the K1200LT. One thing about the bike I'm getting is the ABS light is blinking on and off on the dash. How do I fix this? Thanks in advance.
When you take delivery of your LT, be sure and ask the seller for any documentation (in the form of booklets; Rider's Manual - Service & Tech Manual - Radio Manual, etc) that came with the bike. Good basic information there, which can be followed up with the purchase of a shop manual - either OEM one or one from Clymers.

If this scan prints out readable, here's what the Rider's Manual has to say regarding early model year LT ABS system.

Welcome aboard the forums. You'll find 'em helpful and full of knowledge about this bike, and others in the BMW line-up. Ride safe.

Attachments

·
Registered
237 Posts
Out of curiosity, just where does one ride in excess of 200 MPH, legally or otherwise?

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
juggler said:
Out of curiosity, just where does one ride in excess of 200 MPH, legally or otherwise?
In your dreams, most likely. :)

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,175 Posts
messenger13 said:
Good point. More specifically however, the ABS lights flash until the front wheel rotates and the ABS system is synced. I can't remember the number of revolutions (or distance) specifically though. :eek: It's approximately 20 feet.

A few other tidbits regarding flashing ABS lights. Some have reported that a weak battery can cause this. Others have reported that disconnecting the battery for 30 minutes and reconnecting will reset the error code. And lastly, (worse case scenario) some ABS error codes have to be cleared at the dealer before the lights will stop.
Let's not forget an obvious reason: your pads are running thin, causing the fluid level to go low and trigger the warning lights. Just topping off the reservoir then will NOT solve the issue, so make sure you also check your brake pads, especially since the bike is new to you and you may not know its history (maintenance performed).

·
Registered
797 Posts
PhantomK12LT said:
My 01 did the flashing ABS lights because of a bad battery. I replaced it and everything has been fine.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have not been offically clocked at 200+MPH at a event or anything. My 230MPH run was GPS confirmed. Since then I have up graded the Turbo system and had OD 5th and 6th gears installed. Gearing calculations say it will go 272MPH at redline. I do plan on taking it to the Texas mile this spring and get an official time on the bike. The Texas Mile is held near Goliad TX.

History on the K1200LT. All I know is that the previous owner put a strip of black tape on the dash so the blinking ABS lights would not bother him while he rode the bike. He told me the bike has had battery problems, I think he said it has had 3 maybe 4 batteries so far. I know it was dead as a door knob when I first looked at it. He put a charge on it for 24 hrs, I came back and it started right up, but the ABS lights kept blinking. Alternating left, right, left, right.

You guys are the coolest. You have given me some great ideas to look for and I'm hoping it will be an easy fix. I did alott of searching on this site and It looks like the ABS thing is rather common thing on these bikes. Anyway, Im excited as I can be about the LT.... Should be mine in the next few days.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I've noticed some real nice trailer set ups as well. What is the towing capacity for the LT? I'm wondering if it would pull my Busa? I' going to Daytona for bike week, and if the LT will pull the busa, I plan on making an all bike road trip. I should be able to get my tent and enough close in the cases to last 5 days maybe 6.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts