BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, My name is chris and i have been scouring the site for a few days to learn all i can before asking any questions. that said i am looking at this bike http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/mcy/2150396292.html or
http://www.motoworkschicago.com/new_vehicle_detail.asp?sid=06987726X1K15K2011J5I26I10JPMQ6213R0&veh=328&pov=1820892 its being sold on consignment by Motoworks in chicago (the second link)

first off, thanks for any help. Now the large amount of miles is disturbing, but they say it has a good maintenance record and it averages to 12k or so a year. Also the new tires/ battery line is comforting. reverse doesnt concern me so much but i guess it would be better if it worked. the guy said that it doesnt do anything when tried. It sounds to me like it may not be plugged in. who knows. I havent seen it in person yet but am planning on looking at it on tuesday night. other than obvious fluid level/ quality stuff is there anything else i should be mindful of. I have read about the final drives but i dont think there is a way for me to tell right away if its bad or not. the clutch leak thing should be easy to spot. what things go bad on a high mileage bmw that dont go bad on a lower mileage one? Is that too high a price or have i just let out the deal of the century? Around here there arent many of these for sale especially in the winter and from what i am seeing they go from 4500 to 7000 in the 35k to 75k range so i think the price reflects mileage. anyway thanks for reading my ramblings and for any input. Oh and if this is someone on here selling this let me know how it is. :)

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
Hi Chris and welcome...

Just a few things come to mind. 1. The reverse is not working. The miles and the price.... If you are adapt at working on the bike, it might be a good deal. It would not be hard though, to put several $1,000 in repairs, so why not spend the money now, say 4-6,000 for a newer bike with a lot less miles that has everything working?

I don't know about the reverse, but if it were easy to fix, the dealer would have already fixed it! Just an fyi on the reverse, I use mine.. If you park on an incline it is very helpful in backing up.

Just a few thoughts..

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
as far as working on it myself im not too concerned. Ive been a subaru tech for 11 years now, and have been doing all of my own work on my bikes. just looking for something a little bigger with fairing and a comfortable yet sporty feel. I am also an opportunist, and this looks like a good opportunity to pick up what seems to be a good model of bike for cheap.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Chris...sooner or later you will need reverse--unless of course you can move 800 lbs. up hill easily. That being said...if you can wrench then Clymer's has a manuel and there is plenty of knowledge here on the forum to help you along the way. It is true however, the parts for this bike are very expensive and it easy to rack up a pretty good bill quickly.

I also have a 99 and she is a great bike. My two cents only here...for the money and if she runs well and I could wrench like you...then I would go for it!! :thumb:

You will love her...

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
If the reverse contoller is bad, it isn't cheap:

01 61352305889 CONTROL UNIT BACKUP ASSISTANCE 3.53 1 $1345.86

Beemerbone yard might have a used one for less.

There are bikes with much less mileage for just a couple grand more out there. I'd shop around a little more.

With that many miles, I'd rebuild the final drive preemptively if you plan on venturing far from home. The way to check for FD problems is look for shiney metal flakes on the FD drain plug. Also, with bike on centerstand, push rear brake pads away from the rotor and then slowly spin the wheel with your hands on it to feel for any roughness.

However, if the price is the deal maker for you and you are happy to wrench it might be a good bike for you.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Hi Chris and welcome to the forum. I tried the Craig list link and it has been removed? I did look at the other link. All the advice the other members have given you is very valid. My personal opinion: the bike is heavy and reverse is a vital function and should work. The miles are high and it uses oil :( I think the price is high. If you really want a project bike, maybe you can offer around $1800 to $2000. I would shop around also. Check the classifieds on this forum and ebay.

The LT is a fantastic touring bike and has been discontinued by BMW. There aint no more being made so keep that in mind. IMO, they will increase in value. Let us know how you do with your endeavour. :dance:

·
Registered
635 Posts
Personally even with your wrenching skills I would stay away from it because while you obviously can save yourself the labor costs, parts can be very expensive. For example the reverse controller already quoted is an example. As others have said, you will want a working reverse. I am on my second LT and have used reverse infrequently, but when I have, I really needed it such as even a slight incline or loose gravel are times that come to mind when reverse is essential. I would look to spend a little more and find one in good working order, there are plenty out there.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Chris,
+1 on what others have said here. There may not be many LTs around Chicago, but there are more available the farther out you go. If you have the time, you could fly to where an LT is and ride it home or drive there and trailer it home. (I know I'll get flamed for that! :D ) There are members here all across the country that might be willing to evaluate an LT before you put money on it or travelled long distance to see it. Never hurts to ask. Best of luck, whatever your decision.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks to everyone for the posts. I am going to look at it tuesday 1/18 around 5:30 or so. Ill try to remember to let you all know what i decided I have been thinking about this entirely too much lately so i will have to make sure i take off my rose colored glasses before looking at the bike.

that said even if i have to put some money into it, it would be an improvement for me over the xj. I feel like a gorilla riding on that bike. a 6'5" 280lb dude riding a 450lb bike looks like the shriners are in town. Again, gotta stay objective.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so i looked at it and the service history. it smokes at startup and gets almost clear withing 5 min but didnt seem to go totally away. I kind of expected that with the mileage. new tires new brakes recent fork seals HID headlight, perf fuel map of some sort tons and tons of oil changes and that was just to 09. their records go back to 2006 and the person is the sole owner of the bike. I was told he was going on another trip with it which is why the new tires and brakes and then he found a concours he wanted. now has two bikes and only room for one apparently. as the ad said no reverse at all but i pushed it backwards on a flat surface (not a hill i know) and had absolutely no problem. I made the mistake of sitting on it and now i really want it. I offered 2600. Ill find out tomorrow if he accepts. as for waiting and getting a lower mileage one. It would probably be a good idea but i havent seen many of these for sale at all let alone for less than $5000 and i dont have that kind of money to spend all at once (I would also prefer not to have a loan on a motorcycle) so thats the update i promised in case anyone out there is still interested.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Carsucharda said:
so i looked at it and the service history. it smokes at startup and gets almost clear withing 5 min but didnt seem to go totally away.
If an LT is on the side stand, it will always smoke some at startup, just FYI. Mine does that, and it is a 2009 with 800 miles on it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yup, If this site has taught me one thing its that a side facing engine will likely burn oil (especially on startup on the side stand) I would also imagine that if you were to continually circle to the left you may eventually get some smoke after an excessively long time circling.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Boatzo said:
The LT is a fantastic touring bike and has been discontinued by BMW. There aint no more being made so keep that in mind. IMO, they will increase in value. Let us know how you do with your endeavour. :dance:
Increase in value?.... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Maybe I should have said "become more valuable"? Supply and demand! I think once the supply of good used LTs slows down, folks will want them even more. I, personally am not excited about the GTL, but then I am an old man and do not like change as much anymore.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Boatzo said:
Maybe I should have said "become more valuable"? Supply and demand! I think once the supply of good used LTs slows down, folks will want them even more. I, personally am not excited about the GTL, but then I am an old man and do not like change as much anymore.
Yes, as time goes on they will definitely become more difficult to find. Especially in great condition and with low miles.

·
Registered
86 Posts
AlexKilpatrick said:
If an LT is on the side stand, it will always smoke some at startup, just FYI. Mine does that, and it is a 2009 with 800 miles on it.
The guy at Dream Machines told me to NOT start it on the side stand because it would smoke. They didnt tell you the same?

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
If it has been sitting on the side stand for any length of time, it will probably smoke when you start it. Best thing is to switch off when in the vertical position, remove your gloves, and do what ever before you put it on the side stand. I do this all the time now and very rarely ever get smoke.

I start it on the side stand all the time like after gassing up, going into a store or a restaurant. No smoke if I switched off vertical.

I park the bike in my garage on the center stand.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
all good advice. so I pulled the trigger. I pick it up on tuesday, so long as there isnt snow on the roads. :D Im looking forward to the maiden (for me) ride home despite the forcasted high of 28F. I am hoping that the combo of my cold gear and the bikes fairing make my ride home a safe and reasonably pleasant one. well that should do it until i get the bike :wave

·
Registered
26 Posts
You are going to love it! As a matter of fact the hardest thing for you and me will be waiting for better weather! Right now my alley is Ice bound and I don't usually want to wrestle the beast on
the slippery stuff.
I live near Midway and have an 07'. If you ever want to get together and ride or jaw or whatever, drop me a line .I am through Downers Grove all the time. Enjoy!
Tom Czerniak

·
Registered
47 Posts
Congrats :bmw:

You will enjoy your ride see you around.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts