BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I bought my first two LTs about a month ago (I was not sure which one I wanted so I bought both and will sell one later). I am going through the manual to change the fluids since each bike is about 60k miles and I am unsure of the history. Please don't laugh at the questions, but I don't want to mess anything up....

I changed the oil and filter (easy to do). I added the 3.5 quarts back in with the additional oil in the filter before I put it back in (thanks for that suggestion here on the website). Started the bike and no issues. I went to change the gear oil at the rear tire and when I pulled the drain plug, brand new oil came out?? I quickly put the plug back in since I was expecting a dirty, heavy weight gear oil to come out not the new oil I just put in the engine. Is the oil in the engine the same as the oil in the rear wheel? What oil (gear oil) needs to be changed?

I was looking for the transmission fluid change directions in the repair manual but could not find anything. I have read about the 14mm hex nut and using the bottle to let the fluid drain without the mess on the website but would like to read about it in the manual before I actually do it. Where in the manual are the directions?

Here is the list of fluid changes I am going to do - did I miss anything you guys know about?

Oil/Filter - Done
Rear Gear oil - ???
Brake fluid - done
Transmission fluid - ???
Anti-freeze flush - still need to do
Clutch fluid flush - still need to do
Replace Spark plugs - still need to do
Air filter - still need to do
Fuel Filter - still need to do but like the external suggestion here on the website

Thanks for the advice and help.....

·
Registered
654 Posts
... Is the oil in the engine the same as the oil in the rear wheel?
No

What oil (gear oil) needs to be changed?
.6l of SAE 90 hypoid gear oil

I was looking for the transmission fluid change directions in the repair manual but could not find anything. I have read about the 14mm hex nut and using the bottle to let the fluid drain without the mess on the website but would like to read about it in the manual before I actually do it. Where in the manual are the directions?

page 50 (Changing gearbox oil)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you know why the new oil I just put in came out of the rear wheel drain plug? The pictures in the manual are pretty good so I am sure I was pulling the correct plug? Thanks

Jim King

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Not a fluid change, but ...

jkkj71 said:
Hi,

... Here is the list of fluid changes I am going to do - did I miss anything you guys know about? ...
Not a fluid change, but with an unknown history, I'd check the valve gaps. If any of the gaps are tight, go to www.gunsmoke.com & look up Scot Marburger's directions on how to re-gap valves on his K12RS (same basic engine as our LT, valve-wise).

- Bob

·
Registered
68 Posts
Try draining the rearend oil anyway and see if the engine oil level drops. The rearend oil volume should only be a little over 2 cups. If that's all the oil that drain out, then I suggest the person who had the bike brfore you may have done the oil change. If it IS the engine oil, then you have some seal problems, I would suppose.

Robin

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
There's no way the engine oil can come out of the rear diff. Maybe someone put the wrong oil in the gear box, drain it.

·
Registered
284 Posts
rear dif oil

maybe the person u got the bike from just changed the rear dif oil

i've changed mine twice and it always looks as new coming out as it did going in

there is no way that the oil in the rear dif is coming from your engine oil pan

search this site for fluid changes and u will find good detailed info on how to do every step of it

good luck

kip
99 champagne LT

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Gear Oil

The gear oil that you take out if changed regularly will look new..
It's hard to tell the difference between 15W50 and 90W gear oil at room temperature... The gear oil has a different smell....

The only real reason you're changing it is to inspect the magnet for metal and to look for anything obvious in the oil. It doesn't collect carbon or get hot enough to break down so it will always look new...

Good Luck

Spence

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Your rear drive probably had synthetic 75-90wt gear oil in it. Synthetic oils flow much better than dino oils.(appear thinner) Changing rear end oil is fast and easy, so do it again. The transmission is a little more time consuming but still easy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts