BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI all.

Just traded in my R12GS for an "09" K12LT.

Hoping I did not make a HUGE mistake. But knowing I will love the new bike all the same. Just going to hang out in the back of the room and get to know everyone.

I live in Phoenix AZ and have been riding for 40 years. (Yikes, has it really been that long!) :eek2: :eek2:

Hope to meet up with you all on the road somewhere.

Kevin

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
Welcome aboard!

There are so many things to learn about your new bike. I'm guessing you sorta figured that out.

So, Read through the "HOW" link.. off of the "Technical" link on top of the forum...

Enjoy!

·
Registered
929 Posts
Kevin,

Welcome to the forum--just a few tips...check out the hall of wisdom with your many years of experience I think you will appreciate the wisdom that can be found around here. And whatever you do--do not ask anything about "the best kind of oil to use" :stir: Oil threads can evoke a very caustic response...although an entertaining one.

Enjoy your new ride and drive safe!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Kevin, hope you like the LT. Let me know what you think of it after awhile as I'm thinking of going the LT way as well. Not sure yet, still miss my goldwing, but thinking. I might just wait to see what's on the LT and goldwing horizon for next year and compare.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Morning RR

I kind of think it is a little of both. I just had my 50th and am getting tired of the dirt. My wife and I rented an LT for a weekend. We were thinking about doing a tour in Europe and this was the bike we would rent. We loved the bike but when I went to book the tour they no longer offered this bike.
Mary (the wife) still talks about that weekend. She can see over me on the LT so she just enjoys riding that much more.
I am looking forward to longer trips WITH her, as well as by myself. We talked about the Goldwing and just can't see ourselfs on one.
There is much to learn and even more to see so we went with the LT.

RocketRon said:
Kevin,
WELCOME!!!

Curious.....are you just getting older and want a luxury ride or do you have passenger that's pushing for one?

Either way.....it'll be different but I think you'll enjoy it.

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Howdy Kevin :wave

I'm an LT newbie as well. Got mine in October, and really like it. This forum has a wealth of information (trust me) that you will find very useful.

I dropped mine within the month while backing out of the garage...... :histerica , and man it is a load to get up-right. Luckily, the tip over bars protected the bike. Not even a scratch on the bike...... Sure was embarrassing though. :eek:

Have fun and enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
929 Posts
cwo said:
Howdy Kevin :wave

I'm an LT newbie as well. Got mine in October, and really like it. This forum has a wealth of information (trust me) that you will find very useful.

I dropped mine within the month while backing out of the garage...... :histerica , and man it is a load to get up-right. Luckily, the tip over bars protected the bike. Not even a scratch on the bike...... Sure was embarrassing though. :eek:

Have fun and enjoy the ride.
Welcome to the club--sooner or later it happens...

·
Premium Member
1,486 Posts
kevincaron said:
Morning RR

I kind of think it is a little of both. I just had my 50th and am getting tired of the dirt. My wife and I rented an LT for a weekend. We were thinking about doing a tour in Europe and this was the bike we would rent. We loved the bike but when I went to book the tour they no longer offered this bike.
Mary (the wife) still talks about that weekend. She can see over me on the LT so she just enjoys riding that much more.
I am looking forward to longer trips WITH her, as well as by myself. We talked about the Goldwing and just can't see ourselfs on one.
There is much to learn and even more to see so we went with the LT.
My primary reason for riding the LT is the fact my wife enjoys riding with me. In her words, I've never had a more comfortable bike for her to ride pillion (she regularly falls asleep in the back). I added a pair of Don Mudiman's arm rests for her and she's one happy camper now.

Enjoy the ride and welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Congratulations on your new bike! I'm fairly new to the LT as I got my 2000 model about 3 mos ago and I have to say, I love it. The only thing that I don't like about it is the ease of dropping it as you stop. I've done it twice, now, after 45 years of riding a bike and never dropping a bike when stopping before. It's hard to remember to be careful about using the front brake during the final part of stopping. If I don't and the front wheel is the slightest turned...it goes down. It's a bitch to pick up, too. Not to mention you look like a rookie with your shiny bike laying on it's side...Once moving though, what a ride! We went from Granbury, Tx to Possum Kingdom Lake yesterday via the nicest, windy road [FM4] and just had a great ride. I love running in 3rd gear weaving through 25 mph curves about 40+, powering out...letting the engine slow you for the next one [being as smooth as possible in consideration of the wife]. Hope you have many happy rides.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm getting my first LT tomorrow. A slightly used '09 (only 250 miles!). Got what I think is a great deal. The PO said it was too much bike for him and bought a GS. I'm keeping my '09 RT. The LT is for riding with the wife. Got my first bike in '05, a 2005 Concours, so I'm used to top heavy bikes. I've got some questions, but that's for another thread.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well from a slightly less new member welcome to the board and the world of the LT. Yes, it has been confirmed that LT does stand for "little truck" or maybe "light truck". But anyway you say it it is one heck of a motorcycle. I have all of 350 miles on mine now and am just waiting for the weekend to roll around. The wife and I are heading up to the high country this weekend just to escape the heat. A long day ride with a return home after dark.
God,I love this bike!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Kevin - welcome from a fellow newbee -- you have found the best resource for all things "LT" I like your description of the "light truck" but you forgot the other acronym for B-M-W also know as "Break My Wallet" which as an LT owner you will find out really fast (it starts with the $24.00 oil filter and go's from there) but no price can compensate for the big smile the big bike will leave you with!!!

Enjoy!

Bill

·
Registered
656 Posts
Welcome to the asylum Kevin you'll not find a better source of information for all things LT.

Enjoy your new ride I know I do

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Over here in the Southwest 'BMW" stands for

"Bring more Wampum!"

Chilly said:
Kevin - welcome from a fellow newbee -- you have found the best resource for all things "LT" I like your description of the "light truck" but you forgot the other acronym for B-M-W also know as "Break My Wallet" which as an LT owner you will find out really fast (it starts with the $24.00 oil filter and go's from there) but no price can compensate for the big smile the big bike will leave you with!!!

Enjoy!

Bill

·
Registered
533 Posts
If you want to save money and like to work on your own bike, the BMW K1200 Lt Service DVDs are a good investment. They were made by one of the members here and walk you through all the standard maintenance.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts