BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just changed the tranny oil and only had some fine metal slivers on the drain plug.

Rode easy for a couple mornings but later decided to take my (8) 40 mph curves in at 60 and out near 80. Usually in 3rd gear powering out but shifted into 4th as I came on out on a couple. The noise I've heard (only in 4th) I first thought was a spark plug misfire, but finally decided it must be a sprocket jumping a cog in the tranny. Runs smooth slowing and cruising, but under full power I can make it sound like a cog jump.

Anything like this happen to someone else and what did they/you find out?
Thanks in advance for serious comments.

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
The transmission relies on "dogs" small interlocking pieces next to and part of the gears via splines to engage the gears. These wear for various reasons. This bike has flat dogs as opposed to ones with 2 or 3 degrees of interlocking face contact. Yours are worn out and slipping under the right circumstances. The rebuild of this transmission is near or above 2000$. Then there is the 8 hours labor to remove and install it. It is an old bike. You need to make a decision. Sorry. There are a couple of shops on the east coast that rebuild these if you go that way. Some internet searching will get you there. These bikes are being scrapped out these days. A used but good tranny would be the easy way to go. I even think there is a scrap on on this forum. If you do pull the transmission, do "the" oring in the final engine seal area, probably a clutch and then fresh seals in the tranny plus an new slave cylinder and all rubber parts that are exposed while doing this work. When all done you will have another hundred thou miles. Or find a low mileage bike and start over.

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The transmission relies on "dogs" small interlocking pieces next to and part of the gears via splines to engage the gears. These wear for various reasons. This bike has flat dogs as opposed to ones with 2 or 3 degrees of interlocking face contact. Yours are worn out and slipping under the right circumstances. The rebuild of this transmission is near or above 2000$. Then there is the 8 hours labor to remove and install it. It is an old bike. You need to make a decision. Sorry. There are a couple of shops on the east coast that rebuild these if you go that way. Some internet searching will get you there. These bikes are being scrapped out these days. A used but good tranny would be the easy way to go. I even think there is a scrap on on this forum. If you do pull the transmission, do "the" oring in the final engine seal area, probably a clutch and then fresh seals in the tranny plus an new slave cylinder and all rubber parts that are exposed while doing this work. When all done you will have another hundred thou miles. Or find a low mileage bike and start over.
Yep, I believe you are right on. I wasn't sure what the gear shapes were in the tranny.
I do have my tranny from the '03 I had. It's probably worn out too. Ugh!
I turned 76 last Monday so think for now I'll just keep riding it as it is.
Thanks for you input.:serious:

Reactions: Patric

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,254 Posts
I have been in several transmissions with 100 K + and never saw a worn dog. These pics are from one that had 120K on it. Bearings yes but dogs no.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks jzeiler . Good pics. Still not sure what I'm hearing. Gonna think on it awhile before I decide what to do. Way to big a job for my gravel floored garage. I can crawl around for general maintenance, but not this.

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts
I have been in several transmissions with 100 K + and never saw a worn dog. These pics are from one that had 120K on it. Bearings yes but dogs no.
How about wear on shift drum and forks? Or a bent fork? These can cause issues with staying in gear.

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How about wear on shift drum and forks? Or a bent fork? These can cause issues with staying in gear.
But, wouldn't a bent fork show up in ALL gears under power and not just 4th?

Bottom line is that I need a different transmission installed.:serious:

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts
But, wouldn't a bent fork show up in ALL gears under power and not just 4th?

Bottom line is that I need a different transmission installed.:serious:
No, generally, each fork only can engage two gears as it can slide the collar only two directions. Most transmissions have two or three shift forks. I would have to check the manual and I'm camping at the moment, but I think the LT has three forks. Could also check Kirk's video.

You likely don't need a different transmission, but that may be the easiest fix.
:smile:

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update 7/25/2016.

Transmission locked up in 4th on my morning ride about 8 miles from home. I left a 75 foot tire mark/slide on the asphalt. Glad the road was straight and I kept it on the road. YeeHaa!

I have the bike in neutral, but rear wheel still won't turn/rotate. I had help getting it on my trailer and will stay there until I figure a method of getting it off.
I suspect I'll list it on Ebay with pics soon. $1800 bucks. I'll list it as a fix'er upper.

So I will be looking for a '02. '03, Or '4 with less than 70,000 miles on it.

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here's a pic or two. Bike is for sale $1800

Attachments

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Listed this 2002 bike on Ebay. Item #162152831743 vernvernvern 7/29/2016 for 7 days Starting price is $1200.

I tried to put it on the classifieds here but don't think it got posted

Thanks, Vern

1 - 11 of 11 Posts