BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow K1200 LT riders Have been riding a nine-t and really enjoying it. I recently found a barn find 2001 K1200LT, It had been setting for two and a half years. I have started to sort it out and joined this forum for information and suggestions. It took three days to clean it up and see what I have. I managed to test ride it and think I did okay. Looks as rear main is leaking and seems to have cam chain noise. The appearance isn't to bad, some one scratched wind screen up cleaning it and has a couple scratches in front fender. one saddle bag lid has a gouge. Looking forward to meeting fellow members and restoring this beautiful machine

·
Registered
4 Posts
Welcome Rick. Similar to you, I’m an ‘07 1200R owner that recently picked up a 99 LT. Hope your barn find treats you well. Wade

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
Hi Rocket Rick! Welcome
It sounds like you have a great ride if it started up after sitting for 2 1/2 years! The rear main leak isn't good, though the cam chain noise may be normal. I am sure people will chime in. Members of this site have helped me tremendously over the last five years of ownership. My ride was in terrible shape after sitting for 6+ years, and now it runs great! It sounds like you are way ahead of the game! Cheers!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Welcome! KLT is an amazing bike. You'll find a wealth of info (use the search on the K1200LT forum) on replacing that seal. Brake lines should be stainless. The OEM rubber ones fail. Fuel system should be thoroughly checked since it has sat for so long. Ethanol is very hard on the fuel lines. All these issues are well documented here. Main seal is a job. The rest are much simpler. Good luck!
-Dean

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the welcomes' The previous owner had the brake lines done at Grand Rapids BMW. I have the paperwork and it was a pricey update. The fuel lines seem okay but will keep eye on them. Who ever worked on the body works lost most of the little washers over well nuts causing squeaks and vibrations but I am sorting it all out. Seems like an amazing ride and I will enjoy as much as my nine-t. The real problem seems to be parts availability up north here, closest dealer is two hundred miles from me.

·
Premium Member
1,520 Posts
Welcome to the Group Rick ! ..Man , There is a big difference between your R9T & the LT, but both are fun bikes to ride. When my friend moved north, I road his R9T up for him to Gaylord 2 years ago. It was only 200 miles , but that is a fun bike.

·
Premium Member
1,520 Posts
Welcome to the Group Rick ! ..Man , There is a big difference between your R9T & the LT, but both are fun bikes to ride. When my friend moved north, I road his R9T up for him to Gaylord 2 years ago. It was only 200 miles , but that is a fun bike.

Reactions: rocket rick

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
Thanks for the welcomes' The previous owner had the brake lines done at Grand Rapids BMW. I have the paperwork and it was a pricey update. The fuel lines seem okay but will keep eye on them. Who ever worked on the body works lost most of the little washers over well nuts causing squeaks and vibrations but I am sorting it all out. Seems like an amazing ride and I will enjoy as much as my nine-t. The real problem seems to be parts availability up north here, closest dealer is two hundred miles from me.
The well nuts fail over time. Someone is selling them in the classifieds. I purchased a dozen of them to replace mine, and they made a big difference to removing and installing the 'Tupperware.'
You can get most parts online. I have only been to a dealership twice in the last five years!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Patric and you are so right about the nine-t. Every time I ride the thing it makes me grin like a kid. I changed all the fluids and checked everything over on the k1200 and rode it today for a hundred miles. What a nice riding motorcycle, very smooth to me. It's no slouch in the handling department either, dragged the stands no problem. I even scuffed my boots a bit, great fun. I also did the fifth gear roll on and I will need to do a clutch job and rear main seal. I am retired mechanic so I will do repairs on my own.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The well nuts fail over time. Someone is selling them in the classifieds. I purchased a dozen of them to replace mine, and they made a big difference to removing and installing the 'Tupperware.'
You can get most parts online. I have only been to a dealership twice in the last five years!
Thanks kbob12 I saw that link some where and was thinking of doing the same.(y)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts