BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all,

I just picked up my bike this morning, for what I believe was a smoking deal. 46k on the clock and in incredible shape for 19 year old bike.

I was curious if there were any switched power points for driving lights. The PO wired them directly to the battery with a relay, but there is an LED on the switch that stays on all the time with it wired this way. I don;t like anything draining a battery if I can help it and would like to add them to a switched circuit.

Thanks in advance and thanks for the knowledge on this forum, as I researched heavily here before buying.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Greetings all,

I just picked up my bike this morning, for what I believe was a smoking deal. 46k on the clock and in incredible shape for 19 year old bike.

I was curious if there were any switched power points for driving lights. The PO wired them directly to the battery with a relay, but there is an LED on the switch that stays on all the time with it wired this way. I don;t like anything draining a battery if I can help it and would like to add them to a switched circuit.

Thanks in advance and thanks for the knowledge on this forum, as I researched heavily here before buying.
======================================
Hey Five69, welcome from another '99LT owner~

I picked mine up just six days ago, and am *loving* this bike! Here in Colorado, there are miles and miles of open roads and gorgeous scenery to explore and see! With hundreds of destinations to visit, I'm sure I'll be out of the house a lot!

You're going to find a ton of helpful folks here (I lust had a reversing, side-stand issue that was resolved quickly), and am looking forward to gleaning thoughts, tips and tricks that will save me a painful crawl through the steep "learning curve" I would have had to go through if not for the good people here!

Regarding your driving light question, mine has lights mounted near the upper wind deflectors close to the mirrors. The wires go to a switch on the side of the stingray, inside the fairing, and direct to the battery. Not sure if this is the best way to do it, but it works fine!

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
Welcome to the forum Five69. Under the rear seat is the plug for the heated seat. That is a common switched source for a relay. A meter will tell you what wire is hot key on. It looks like Green with a brown stripe and is in the bottom position on my bike.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
No factory switched power take off points for direct hook up, several to splice into to power a relay for a fuse panel. Do some searching here and find how to install your own fuse panel via a relay and a trigger wire when the bike powers up. Take your needs off that.
Look up other new bike owners and the list of stuff you need to address as your bike is 20 years old. Start with replacing the rubber brake lines with spigler. Also replace the ignition wires with something from beemerboneyard or euromotoelectric.
All the folks who have the Lt (light truck in my way of thinking) love them so enjoy. Come here for any info you need as there are plenty of folks with the answers and there is nothing new under the sun as they say. Summer is here enjoy.

·
Registered
550 Posts
The advice you'll get here is amazing. Find a Fuzeblock and install it, grabbing switched power from the front or rear heated seat connection. Then it's easy to add whatever toys you'll need, or don't need.

Use the search function here-I don't think the engineers who designed these bikes know them as well as the crew here. Enjoy the ride.

Reactions: Voyager

·
Premium Member
7,614 Posts
The advice you'll get here is amazing. Find a Fuzeblock and install it, grabbing switched power from the front or rear heated seat connection. Then it's easy to add whatever toys you'll need, or don't need.

Use the search function here-I don't think the engineers who designed these bikes know them as well as the crew here. Enjoy the ride.
+1 on the Fuzeblock. Mine has worked well for 10 years and makes adding accessories much easier without having to continually hack into the factory harness.

I think the engineers who designed them know them really well, but we have no access to the design engineers. We do have access to this forum. :grin:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No factory switched power take off points for direct hook up, several to splice into to power a relay for a fuse panel. Do some searching here and find how to install your own fuse panel via a relay and a trigger wire when the bike powers up. Take your needs off that.
Look up other new bike owners and the list of stuff you need to address as your bike is 20 years old. Start with replacing the rubber brake lines with spigler. Also replace the ignition wires with something from beemerboneyard or euromotoelectric.
All the folks who have the Lt (light truck in my way of thinking) love them so enjoy. Come here for any info you need as there are plenty of folks with the answers and there is nothing new under the sun as they say. Summer is here enjoy.
The bike already has speiglers, a skid plate, and tethered mirrors. I'll check the ignition wires, thanks for the suggestion. I ordered what I need for a diy relay triggered fuse block and a new set of tires today :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts