BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
209 K1200LT and 2021 R1250RT
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased a used 2021 RT,. It has fairly new Shinko R009 Raven tires, I have never heard of this brand so I am asking if anyone has experience with this brand. I rode the bike home in the rain and rode 500 miles, no issues, but coming from an LT with ME888s I would like to know what to expect from these tires and if I should consider what my next set should be. Will be riding two up on longer trips with this bike, Like the first 500 miles!

Thanks
Rick

·
Registered
2018 R1200RT
263 Posts
I can't speak to the Chinese brand Shinko tires (no experience with them), but I believe that they're pretty popular on sport bikes. What I would do on a used bike with unknown tires, is check the mounted tires against spec. Are they properly rated for the load the RT represents. Other than that, look for user feedback. If you don't trust 'em, it's not a crime to simply dump 'em for new Pilot Roads, Metzler, or whatever it is you prefer. (You can try selling off the Shinko's or actually dump 'em.)

You're (a) traveling a lot of miles, and (b) traveling 2-up. In my mind, that justifies a new set. As to WHAT set, my preferences are the Michelin P.R.s. I had great experience with the Metzler's I once put on, but I only got about 5K miles a set (i.e. soft, great traction and handling, but poor wear). I hated the Dunlop's, Bridgestone, and Continentals. Pirelli Diablo's are another tire with a short lifespan, and I didn't like their handling.

I have a new-to-me 2018 RT, and haven't mounted a new set of tires since I sold my 2005 RT back in 2014 (many tire generations ago), so others here will probably offer better (at least more current) advice.

·
Premium Member
209 K1200LT and 2021 R1250RT
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can't speak to the Chinese brand Shinko tires (no experience with them), but I believe that they're pretty popular on sport bikes. What I would do on a used bike with unknown tires, is check the mounted tires against spec. Are they properly rated for the load the RT represents. Other than that, look for user feedback. If you don't trust 'em, it's not a crime to simply dump 'em for new Pilot Roads, Metzler, or whatever it is you prefer. (You can try selling off the Shinko's or actually dump 'em.)

You're (a) traveling a lot of miles, and (b) traveling 2-up. In my mind, that justifies a new set. As to WHAT set, my preferences are the Michelin P.R.s. I had great experience with the Metzler's I once put on, but I only got about 5K miles a set (i.e. soft, great traction and handling, but poor wear). I hated the Dunlop's, Bridgestone, and Continentals. Pirelli Diablo's are another tire with a short lifespan, and I didn't like their handling.

I have a new-to-me 2018 RT, and haven't mounted a new set of tires since I sold my 2005 RT back in 2014 (many tire generations ago), so others here will probably offer better (at least more current) advice.

Thanks for the note, I failed to say these tires have 1000 miles on them by the time I returned home with the bike, I just have no experience with this brand, I ran Metzler's on my LT. As I understand it Shinko purchased Yokohama tires, Designed in Japan but produced in South Korea. So I will need to consider what my next set might be, The trip home, in quite a bit of rain, gave me no concerns about traction or handling I see on the work order the BMW Tech added 10 weights to the rear wheel and 6 to the front when they balanced and mounted them, Not sure what that tells me either :unsure:

·
Premium Member
6,155 Posts
Thanks for the note, I failed to say these tires have 1000 miles on them by the time I returned home with the bike, I just have no experience with this brand, I ran Metzler's on my LT. As I understand it Shinko purchased Yokohama tires, Designed in Japan but produced in South Korea. So I will need to consider what my next set might be, The trip home, in quite a bit of rain, gave me no concerns about traction or handling I see on the work order the BMW Tech added 10 weights to the rear wheel and 6 to the front when they balanced and mounted them, Not sure what that tells me either :unsure:
You are going to find a lot of opinions. No rights or wrongs. My '21 RT came with Metzler Z8, and I will be replacing them in a few 1000 miles from now (I have almost 6k miles on the clock, and tires usually last for more than 10k miles for me). I will be replacing mine with the new Michelin Road 6 GT. Personally, I like the Michelins the best, having ridden with the PR2GT all the way to Road 5. Tried the Pirelli Angel GT, which is one that I will never, ever go back to again!

Reactions: rhansen

·
Registered
2021 BMW R 1250 RT, 2020 BMW R 1250 GSA, 2014 HD FLHTK, 2005 Honda Goldwing
46 Posts
Truly like the Michelin PR5 GT on the RT but did not care for the Michelin PR4 GT on the GTL at all. Early cupping and poor highway stability being the two main issues. They came off with less than 3500 miles on them. Read and heard some pro's and con's about the new PR6 GT. Some folks prefer the 5 over the newest iteration.
The Metzeler Z8 is not spectacular but still a solid all around Touring tire that works well on the RT in my humble opinion. The Dunlop Roadsmart 3 is also not a bad choice.
@ PadG - What didn't you like about the Angel GT's?

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Shinko are Japanese design made in South Korea, I had them on K100, K1100 and Vstar 650, preferred them over top brand name tires. The Shinko I would like for the RT is not sold in Canada :-(

Reactions: beech

·
Registered
2022 R1250 RT
81 Posts
What should one expect for miles out of the Metzler Z8 delivered on a new 21/22?

Trying to determine if they will accommodate a upcoming ride and have 2000 on them now.

Tread depth is 5/32 F and 7/32 B.

Would they last another 6000 miles?

Last pair of Michelin Road 5s on my MV Agusta Turismo Veloce lasted 12,000 miles.

·
Registered
'21 R1250RT
539 Posts
What should one expect for miles out of the Metzler Z8 delivered on a new 21/22?
Depends on your riding style, but I got about 8500 miles out of my set with mostly two up riding. Seem to note similar mileages from others too.

Truly like the Michelin PR5 GT on the RT but did not care for the Michelin PR4 GT on the GTL at all. Early cupping and poor highway stability being the two main issues. They came off with less than 3500 miles on them. Read and heard some pro's and con's about the new PR6 GT.
Just a slight correction, Michelin dropped the "P" from series 5 onwards. They just call them Road 5/6 :) The 5 GTs were definitely improved over the PR4 GT lot, feel, mileage, cupping was all better, but still present to a lesser degree. Might be going for Road 6 GTs next since most reviewers seem to rave about them on their videos..

·
Registered
143 Posts
I found bad cupping on my Road 5 GTs on the RT. After 3500 miles I would have ditched them but hung on until 5k miles. Trying Z8s to see if they wear better, based on dealer recommendation. It's a shame - I really liked the Road 5s on my R1200R LC and got 7k miles out of them and no cupping - better than Pilot Road 4s

·
Premium Member
6,155 Posts

Trying to determine if they will accommodate a upcoming ride and have 2000 on them now.

Tread depth is 5/32 F and 7/32 B.

Would they last another 6000 miles?

Last pair of Michelin Road 5s on my MV Agusta Turismo Veloce lasted 12,000 miles.
The mileage you get is strictly dependent on how you ride! I think that based on conversations with you, you probably ride in the same manner that I do, and so you should be able to get 10k+ miles from those Z8s. My '15 RT came with the Z8 and I changed the tires out early (about to go on a long trip) at about 10k miles, and still have enough rubber for a bit more left. My present '21 RT also came with Z8s, and I have close to 6k miles on them now, with lots of rubber left. DO be aware though that the Z8 have very thin layer of rubber in the center, and many people have reported of fabric showing very soon after when they thought that the tires are almost ready for replacement.

Reactions: Dalton 5 and Fast1

·
Registered
2022 R1250 RT
81 Posts
The mileage you get is strictly dependent on how you ride! I think that based on conversations with you, you probably ride in the same manner that I do, and so you should be able to get 10k+ miles from those Z8s. My '15 RT came with the Z8 and I changed the tires out early (about to go on a long trip) at about 10k miles, and still have enough rubber for a bit more left. My present '21 RT also came with Z8s, and I have close to 6k miles on them now, with lots of rubber left. DO be aware though that the Z8 have very thin layer of rubber in the center, and many people have reported of fabric showing very soon after when they thought that the tires are almost ready for replacement.
Thanks if I can get 10,000 miles out of them I'll by fine. I've got an upcoming ride that will be about 5000-6000 miles, with 2000 already on the tires. Trip departure isn't till early/mid June so I expect o have close to 3000 miles on the Metzler Zs then.

Do you (or anyone else) happen to know the tread depth of the Metzler Z8 when new?

Apologies to the OP about hijacking this thread.

·
Registered
2021 BMW R 1250 RT, 2020 BMW R 1250 GSA, 2014 HD FLHTK, 2005 Honda Goldwing
46 Posts
My respect to anyone who can get 10,000 miles out of these tires. BMW RT or BMW GSA - the tires are toast by the time they reach around. 7,000 miles. Regardless of brand.
PS: Never got more than 6000 out of any set on the GTL. That bike ate tires like a monster.

·
Registered
2022 R1250 RT
81 Posts
What is the new tread depth front and back for the Metzer Z8s?
Anyone?
If I know that I can estimate longevity based on current wear for the first 2000 miles.

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
What is the new tread depth front and back for the Metzer Z8s?
Anyone?
If I know that I can estimate longevity based on current wear for the first 2000 miles.
Measurements all in 1/32”. Measurement taken 1” from left and right sidewall and in the tire center.

Front - 4/32, 5/32, 4/32
Rear - 5/32, 8/32, 5/32

·
Registered
2022 R1250 RT
81 Posts
Measurements all in 1/32”. Measurement taken 1” from left and right sidewall and in the tire center.

Front - 4/32, 5/32, 4/32
Rear - 5/32, 8/32, 5/32
thank you, and these measurements are for a new Metzler Z8?

I measured my tires again and get these results from the center most tread depth possible

Front 4/32
Back 7/32

Looks like I've used 1/32 in 2000 miles of easy break-in and getting to know the moto.

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
Metzler Z8 tires are a great choice for an RT. You will get way over 6K miles. But like any tire especially Michelin do not ride them to the end. This was my go to tire for my RT bikes. Glad someone pointed out Shinko is not a made in China tire. It is a perfectly good and economical tire. Change your rubber tire valves every 4 years. Do not use cheap Asian units. Get ones made in Europe. Wunderlich sells them too. I bought some cheap ones on line and they did not last 6 months, not good.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts