BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m waiting on delivery of a (new to me) 2019 R1250RT and want to have opinions on 2 things.
What are the best:
  • Engine protection bars – and why
  • Tank bag, decent size, say 15+ litres
FYI, this is my 4th RT and 8th R series (I like them!)

Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,841 Posts
Congratulations!

My preference for the front bar is Ztechnik. It's clean and very compact looking, but quite strong and very well made. You can have the optional BMW's LED light with BMW's mount together with this bar with zero issue. All bars uses the optional LED mount hole on the bike as the upper mount point. Wunderlich provides alternate mounting holes in their bracket near that point, and so it's OK as well. You will need to find alternate way of mounting the LEDs with Ilium bars. I have had Ztechnik bars on my prior '07 RT, and now on my '21 RT. Had the Wunderlich bars (front and rear) on my prior '14 and '15 RT, mainly because Ztechnik didn't have one available for at least a couple of years after the '14 RT came out. I don't like the Wunderlich front bars because it WILL touch-down at times, if you frequently drag pegs! The rear bars are OK, and won't touch down, but if you ride with a pillion (I never do), the rear bars may interfere with their comfort! Ilium seems to be the popular one for most riders on this forum, but quite frankly I don't like the looks! On top of that, be warned that (from another rider's report and photo) the Ilium rear bars will touch down in aggressive riding.

Tank bag - I use SW Motech City Bag and like it a lot! NEVER buy the BMW tank bag!!!!

Reactions: MacBM

·
Registered
242 Posts
Another vote for SW Motech tank bags here. At least they don't pretend to be waterproof, unlike the BMW ones, which claim to be but aren't. You get a waterproof cover for the times that it's needed.

·
Registered
'21 R1250RT
295 Posts
Like the esteemed gentlemen before me, also an SW Motech tankbag user, because you can buy it locally (Motorcycle Accessories – Motorrad Garage) the quality is very high and the fixing rim over the fuel filler is almost invisible when the bag is off. Not cheap but...

I prefer valve cover protectors because they protect for stationary or slow speed drops as much as an engine bar, but they are far less intrusive. I would use bars if I wanted highway pegs, which I don't because the fit for my anatomy is spot on on this bike.

To compliment the valve cover protectors I also use pannier protectors that work very well for similar damage prevention as long as the panniers are fitted. There is a left and a right set: Impact Protection System For Touring Panniers | Ballina Motorcycles

·
Registered
169 Posts
I’m waiting on delivery of a (new to me) 2019 R1250RT and want to have opinions on 2 things.
What are the best:

Thanks
I use a Hepco and Becker "STREET Tourer M" on my 2019 RT. I love it as it is very well built and functional. Price is also very reasonable... If you can get one. Size is 8 to 13 liters. The "STREET Tourer L" is the next size up (14 to 19 liters).

Here's a pic of the Tourer M expanded on the bike.

Tire Wheel Cloud Sky Vehicle

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
10 Posts
What are the best:

Thanks
I ride a 2013 RT. I put on Ilium drop bars in the rear. I’ve dropped it twice since. Other than scratches on the bars, no other damage. The scratches were fixed easily with black paint. As for the tank bag, RK is the best without exception in my opinion. Go to RKA-luggage.Com and take a look. The size and versatility can’t be beat and Richard the owner is a delight to work with. Regretfully both of these business are located in California. I use covers on the cylinder heads. They do the job. I don’t know brand.

·
Registered
2014 R1200RT LC
67 Posts
I have a Givi Tanklock tank bag, expandable to 25L. Plenty of room, map window on top (EZPass transponder and/or solar battery), outside pockets, shaped to fit the RT tank’s slope. The security straps are perhaps unnecessary as the spring-lock mechanism is pretty strong, but I attach them anyway across the forks. When I stop for gas, I rest the bag on my handlebars after I remove the key. (Can be a little stiff to unlock with cold hands, perhaps.) It comes with a rain cover, but I’ve been in a downpour without it and the contents, including my Nikon mirrorless, remained dry. The model is the E118; you’ll need to specify the ring to fit your RT and IIRC it comes with bolts which are a bit longer that the ones already on the tank which you’ll remove (except one) for the installation. I paid $120 + the ring (sold separately) earlier this year; I think they’re a few dollars more now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts