BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, all. Just wanted to get involved in your community. Well, actually, have been lurking for a while gathering info to make an informed decision before making my purchase. At any rate, I've found a wealth of info here and plan to find even more as I become familiar with my new bike.

This is my first BMW, and so far I'm overwhelmed with the difference between riding it and the bike its replacing ('98 Kawa Vulcan Classic). I love my Vulcan, but this bike has substantially raised the bar. I did read about it's top-heaviness (in fact, I had a great deal of trepidation about that), but its not as bad as I thought. It does require constant awareness, especially at slow speeds and starting/stopping, but constant awareness should be a trait of anyone on a motorcycle anyhow.

Anyhow, I'll be devouring whatever I can find in here about this bike. I also welcome any insight into this model and any quirks for this year in particular. The first thing I want to do is to go over all of the maintenance details. It has 20K miles on it and is in pristine shape, so I want to make sure it stays that way. I currently work on my own bikes, so I'd like to do as much of the maintenance as I can myself, but I also know I need someone for the more difficult stuff. I've searched the Dealership forum for a recommendation on a service center, but nothing came up from my area (Western PA). If anyone has any recommendations on a good service center in my area, I'd love to hear about it. I'm willing to travel (another excuse for a bike ride) anywhere from Eastern Ohio to Central PA to Northern WV and Maryland. I know there is a BMW dealer north of Pittsburgh (Wexford), and one in State College, but I'm also willing to take my bike to a reputable local guy. I have a guy that I take my bikes to now, but he doesn't do BMW's.

Thanks!

Stay safe.

Attachments

·
Registered
866 Posts
Congrats!

I had a Graphite 05 and if I had to do over again I would have gotten a BLACK 04 just like yours!! It's a beaut. Most all maint can be accomplished by yourself with the help of the maint manual. Just get to know your bike slowly. You will be very happy with it! Might need a few new tools is all.

My first ride after taking possession was 600+ miles back home from Coos Bay Oregon to east of Spokane WA,,, What a blast thru snow, wind, rain, darkness, etc.. Handled it all with aplumb.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Congrats on your new ride. You've come to the right place. Keep the front wheel straight when you come to a stop, or she may take a nap. Lots of help and good advice here as you will soon find out. Oh, and good people here too! :wave

·
Registered
787 Posts
Yes you have the fastest most reliable color. I have a 2007 bought used with 1100 miles and would not have bought it without spending a lot of time on this web site and others deciding between a Goldwing, FJR, new Concours and the BMW. Since my purchase I am on this site almost everyday. I have learned so much and it has given me confidence to do a lot of my own PM. After a while you feel like you know the guys from reading all there posts and it feels like a family. Love the bike and hope you love yours and enjoy many safe fun filled miles as I have.

·
Registered
149 Posts
If you do your own work on your past bikes, you can do it on the beemer. I enjoy working on my old cars, and some work on my bikes, but bought the BWM knowing I needed to put in a new clutch. I bought the parts and put in the clutch and found out this wasn't near the difficulty I was thinking of. Have a bit over 5 thousand miles on it since and love it more everytime I ride it.. Mine has 102,000 miles on it and runs like a dream, learn to do the maintenace items and you'll get years of enjoymemt before any serious mechanical work needs done.

OH, welcome aboard.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I appreciate your warm welcome. Glad to know that I have the 'fastest most reliable color'! Thanks to the fine contributors in this forum, I've been able to get an online version of the manual (though I will still get a hard copy), and have begun to get a handle on the maintenance. By and large, its not that far removed from the maintenance I've already done on my other bikes, and with the instructions and photos I've been able to find here on the site, I'm confident I'll be able to do the majority of it myself.

I've also been getting used to the riding the bike, and it is truly a pleasure to ride. It handles more like a sport bike than a tourer on the road (not in the driveway, though), but is still more comfortable than my cruiser. The strangest thing has been the sound. First, it whines like an idling jet engine as opposed to the v-twin rumble. Also, its so quiet on the road that I can hear a bunch of sounds that I never heard before while cruising on my Vulcan. I guess I should get some CD's in the changer!

Thanks again for the warm welcome. I'll be around.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts