BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
Just purchased a (new to me) 1999LT and took it out for the first ride after the test run yesterday at the dealership.

Yesterday was a good biking day here in the mountains of Colorado; our town is a re-fuel stopping point for various clubs and this LT had some heads turning and thumbs up gestures. It's in great shape, looks like it's been garaged for most, if not all, its life. It has a few very small blemishes (no deep scratches), no fading of black plastic, and is in good condition mechanically (speakers buzz some at higher volume). Got lucky at the price they asked ($3K).

The big issue is reverse. I saw the salesperson use the gear, but I'm not having any luck going backwards. I read the posts on the reverese issue, but the issue is the failure as soon as I got the bike home. Could it be a loose wire after I flipped up the seat?

The Process:
I start the bike, go neutral, lower gear changer to "R", press starter button; no joy.

Any help is appreciated, good to be here, and see you on the road!

Craig

Attachments

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
Hi All,
Just purchased a (new to me) 1999LT and took it out for the first ride after the test run yesterday at the dealership.

Yesterday was a good biking day here in the mountains of Colorado; our town is a re-fuel stopping point for various clubs and this LT had some heads turning and thumbs up gestures. It's in great shape, looks like it's been garaged for most, if not all, its life. It has a few very small blemishes (no deep scratches), no fading of black plastic, and is in good condition mechanically (speakers buzz some at higher volume). Got lucky at the price they asked ($3K).

The big issue is reverse. I saw the salesperson use the gear, but I'm not having any luck going backwards. I read the posts on the reverese issue, but the issue is the failure as soon as I got the bike home. Could it be a loose wire after I flipped up the seat?

The Process:
I start the bike, go neutral, lower gear changer to "R", press starter button; no joy.

Craig
Welcome to the forum Craig. You have the procedure correct for activating reverse. Remote troubleshooting reverse if you already have the procedure correct is somewhat difficult. There is the possibility of an issue with the switches located under the reverse knob of which there are 2 and they are easy to damage if removed improperly or possibly the reverse controller is having an issue or just a bad connection somewhere. I believe there is a power relay on the reverse controller that also might be suspect. Your best buddy besides this forum would be a Clymer manual as it has pretty good schematics for circuit tracing.

When you press the starter button in neutral with the revers engaged, does the engine RPM increase at all or is there no difference at all?

·
Premium Member
7,546 Posts
Hi All,

The Process:

Craig
Are both brakes released? If memory serves, the EHCS will not activate if either brake is applied. It is for use on level ground only.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome to the forum Craig. You have the procedure correct for activating reverse. Remote troubleshooting reverse if you already have the procedure correct is somewhat difficult. There is the possibility of an issue with the switches located under the reverse knob of which there are 2 and they are easy to damage if removed improperly or possibly the reverse controller is having an issue or just a bad connection somewhere. I believe there is a power relay on the reverse controller that also might be suspect. Your best buddy besides this forum would be a Clymer manual as it has pretty good schematics for circuit tracing.

When you press the starter button in neutral with the revers engaged, does the engine RPM increase at all or is there no difference at all?
Thanks for the help!
Lever is firmly engaged, the "R" is lit, but no RPM increase.

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
Thanks for the help!
Lever is firmly engaged, the "R" is lit, but no RPM increase.
OK, by chance do you have the side stand down? If you saw it work at the dealer, then it should at least make an attempt to move the bike unless you have done some work on it that we don't yet know about.

·
Registered
59 Posts
These guys here are great, aren't they! :yeah: I haven't tried my reverse yet. I guess I should see if it works! :surprise:

·
Registered
273 Posts
Crusin',

Welcome to the Forum! Glad you got your issue solved.

IF you need further answers and want some local help, I'm up in Longmont.

radar

·
Registered
161 Posts
Welcome aboard!

My Gotcha... was leaving the lever in "R" after backing into a spot at rally.

Must have pushed the start button 20 times and about to really start troubleshooting before the guy next to me said - "Is that lever suppose to point towards R".

Kind of thing you only do once..

Just another heads up... If when pushing button it backs up, goes a few feet, stops, button, few feet, stops, etc.... Remove the sensor on the side of the tranny and wipe it off.. Been there.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts