BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new r1200rt,but the other day I found a nice old 1997 r850r with 11,000 miles on it. It runs good and sounds like a fine swiss watch running. Very smooth bike. I have never seen one before. It is one of the 100 used in the1996 Olypmic Alanta . Very trim nimble bike. Vintage beamer in the garage now. Would you pass on it?

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
svt40 said:
I have a new r1200rt,but the other day I found a nice old 1997 r850r with 11,000 miles on it. It runs good and sounds like a fine swiss watch running. Very smooth bike. I have never seen one before. It is one of the 100 used in the1996 Olypmic Alanta . Very trim nimble bike. Vintage beamer in the garage now. Would you pass on it?
I remember them from the Olympics. Great bike, simple by todays standards. Very reliable. I have it's big brother, a 1996 R1100RT and love it. And unless you really overpaid, it will hold it value. My vote: Keep it!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Paid 4 grand and he put new battery in it. Has not rode it for 2 years because of parkinsen 's. He bought a Corvette rag top to ride. He really had a hard time seeing her go and wants to visit it. His wife is a pal of my wife's.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 96 r850r with 100K miles. The only problem with the older oilheads is the transmission. Mine as well as most, start to pop out of third gear at about this milage.
But a very nice bike. I also have a 94 1100rs. both are fun to ride.I wold keep it if i were you. enjoy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts