BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my name is Charles. I just recently purchased a 2006 K1200lt, I really like this bike. I have a couple of small issues do any of the members live near Dothan, Al. I need someone to listen to my bike and just tell me if it is normal noise. Thanks in Advance

·
Registered
689 Posts
Welcome from Kennesaw GA!

Dothan is a bit out of my zone and I'm not really an LT guy, but maybe someone will come along who's in the area and knows more than me.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Hi, my name is Charles. I just recently purchased a 2006 K1200lt, I really like this bike. I have a couple of small issues do any of the members live near Dothan, Al. I need someone to listen to my bike and just tell me if it is normal noise. Thanks in Advance
Hi Charles, and welcome to the asylum.

Can you provide some information on what noise you are concerned about, the mileage on your bike (congrats on the purchase by the way), and when the noise appears. You could also make a video so we can hear but I believe you need to increase your number of posts before you can upload.

Either way you will see that this site will be of immense help!

·
Registered
256 Posts
What you will quickly understand is to NEVER run the engine without your helmet on. The assorted noises will scare you to death! Mine still does after ten years of riding an LT.

Some of the noise comes from bits of bodywork vibrating, so if you are worried, try putting a litle hand pressure at various points to locate it. Even found there may not me a lot youcan do.

·
Registered
599 Posts
If you watch a lot of youtube about the LT you will notice that they all have this kind of gravelly sound about them. The engine has been described as sounding like a box of rocks.
When I have mine sitting on the side stand and start it up it can sound like someone is shaking a wooden box full of stones. Then when I sit on the bike and lift it to the vertical most of that sound goes away. So I believe what I am mostly hearing is the plastic relaxing into one position when on the side stand and when stood up the plastic hangs equally off it's mounting points.
When I realized this I felt more at ease with the symphony of sound that the bike produces. When I am under way my bike is actually very quiet and smooth.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have noises only when accelerating. I was worried it was pinging, I only use premium, and even added octane booster. I still have the same noise.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,254 Posts
Don't know what kind of bikes you came from but the LT does like the higher revs. Hard acceleration under 3,000 RPM is not good. First gear is good to 62 MPH then you will hit the rev limiter. She really comes alive above 4,000 RPM. So your shift points should be above that RPM.

Reactions: NGABMWLT and kbob12

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have been riding 1500 Goldwings for a long time. I have been researching the Lt, and shift around 4000 or above. Just want to confirm that the noise is mormal, for the Lt. I am also a mechanic, and have never owned a bike or car, that was noisy 'normally '. I also owned a BMW car you could not hear run except for the exhaust.

·
Registered
29 Posts
What you will quickly understand is to NEVER run the engine without your helmet on. The assorted noises will scare you to death! Mine still does after ten years of riding an LT.

Some of the noise comes from bits of bodywork vibrating, so if you are worried, try putting a litle hand pressure at various points to locate it. Even found there may not me a lot youcan do.
:rotf: So true and even better use earplugs.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I recently bought an 06 LT and have been concerned about the noises when accelerating. I've been riding a Harley Electra Glide for the last 17 years and am not used to the pinging type noises or the high rpm shift points being discussed. You all are really shifting above 4K rpm?

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts
I recently bought an 06 LT and have been concerned about the noises when accelerating. I've been riding a Harley Electra Glide for the last 17 years and am not used to the pinging type noises or the high rpm shift points being discussed. You all are really shifting above 4K rpm?
I am not sure what to make of the “pinging” noises as my LT doesn’t have any noise I would describe as pinging.

I shift anywhere between 3,500 and 8,000 depending on what I am doing. For leisurely cruising at low throttle openings, shifting at 3,500 won’t hurt anything. I try to shift so that I never drop much below 3,000 AFTER the shift. However, if I am in a hurry at all, I will shift at 5,000 or so. And if I am running around Watkins Glen, I used only 1st, 2nd and 3rd and shifted just before hitting the rev limiter. It was great fun.

And lest you think I wasn’t getting much speed using only 3rd gear, keep in mind that the LT will do about 100 MPH in 3rd. :grin:

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I recently bought an 06 LT and have been concerned about the noises when accelerating. I've been riding a Harley Electra Glide for the last 17 years and am not used to the pinging type noises or the high rpm shift points being discussed.

You all are really shifting above 4K rpm?
Forget your habits from HARLEY or anything similar with high torque at low rev - having 2 big pistons and a tach red line around 5500 RPM.

The k1200LT like most 4 cylinders have a higher max RPM AND a different torque/power curve. The K1200LT engine is not comparable to a 4 cylinders on a Japanese sportbike of course. However the "official" red line on tach of a K1200LT is at 80000 RPM AND the torque curve PEAK is at 5250 RPM for 2005-2009 models (was 4750 for 1999-2004 models)

SO... you have to work with the caracteristics / power / torque curve of what you ride. If you need pulling power you need to shift near this 4750 for 1999-2004 OR 5250 for 2005-2009. If fully loaded or on a big hill, a bit more RPM is even better because although you have reached PEAK torque, you have not reached peak HorsePower until close to red line.

Do not worry too much about 5000 or 6000 RPM for a long time if you want - this will cause much less wear or strain than shifting too early during acceleration (too early would be below 3000). In Germany, on Autobahn, they use these higher RPM for long period everyday.

OF COURSE, you have 5 gears to select, so one does not ride at constant speed on highway at PEAK torque RPM just for fun. It is OK ride at lower RPM to cruise at constant speed. But if you have a big hill or need power to accelerate to higher speed, you need to use the RPM properly (or get a "feel" for the engine after a while without looking at tach).

P.S.: if engine is properly tuned (valves, spark-plugs, air filter, fuel filter...) it will NOT "ping" when shifted properly. If shifting at too low RPM OR using cheap low octane fuel, it might do some pinging so you have to be very careful to listen for these signs - on the long run this will damage the engine as there are no "knock sensors" to compensate on these K1200LT.

Reactions: kbob12

·
Registered
12 Posts
Appreciate the gouge. Old habits are hard to break, but I'll get there. Have had the LT since July and riddin it more in 3 months, than I rode the Harley in the last 3 years.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts