BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

New to Forum and BMW

952 views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  shasta 
#1 ·
First ride on the '05 LT yesterday, 200+ miles. combined highway and mountain curves. This is a 49 states bike with 23K, looks new but I don't have the service records. Couple questions please :confused:

1. Notice a pronounced burning oil smell on cold start, goes away once motor is warm. Normal?

2. Much break dust coating rear wheel after this ride. Also Normal?

The bike runs and rides perfectly and averaged ~45miles/gallon. Thanks in advance, any and all input appreciated.

#2 ·
shasta said:
First ride on the '05 LT yesterday, 200+ miles. combined highway and mountain curves. This is a 49 states bike with 23K, looks new but I don't have the service records. Couple questions please :confused:

1. Notice a pronounced burning oil smell on cold start, goes away once motor is warm. Normal?

2. Much break dust coating rear wheel after this ride. Also Normal?

The bike runs and rides perfectly and averaged ~45miles/gallon. Thanks in advance, any and all input appreciated.
If you parked on the side stand for any length of time, then, yes, you will get some smoke and oil smell at start-up. The cylinders are on the left so when leaned left a small amount of oil runs past the rings and is burned at the next start.

If you have break dust, then I'd look to find what broke! :) If you have brake dust, then this may be normal although my 07 which still has the OEM rear pads doesn't generate all that much brake dust either front or rear. Then again, I'm not real hard on brakes and I live in a rural area so I don't need to use the brakes in stop-and-go traffic. You may have aftermarket pads given the miles on your bike and they may dust more than the stock pads.

#3 ·
Sounds normal, a good way to clean the rear wheel is with spray Windex. Just spray it down and wipe with a rag and it will look like new. Now go ride some more your going to love this bike!

#4 ·
Smoke on startup is normal - only when u park on the side stand. You could also leave the bike upright ~30 seconds after you shut it off so the oil has time to fall back into the pan.

break dust could be normal - depends on what kind of pads you got. Stock pads or the EBC pads don't cause that much dust, if it bothers you just change the pads.

Enjoy!

#7 ·
shasta said:
OK, I did in fact have the bike on it's side stand for days prior to running...one more for you all please; Former owner was running Mobil 1 10-50 for autos. Do I need to drop this for motorcycle oil?
My Opinion: NO,this bike has a dry clutch and doesn't need motorcycle-specific oils.
Waste of money. I use Pennzoil 20w50 oil from wally world.

Dan

#8 ·
Short answer: no. Many people run a variety of synthetic (Mobil 1, Amsoil, etc) or "regular" dino. The weight you use will depend on your weather, temperature, etc. 15w50 is common, along with 10w30, so your 10w50 is not out of spec.

Long answer: If you use the search function here for "oil thread" or something similar you will find a wealth of material. Some of it almost becomes a flame war, as oil seems to be like an opinion :-} Do some reading here and elsewhere and come to your own conclusion.

You can always check with a local dealer and see what weight or brand they use.

Happy hunting!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.