BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,157 Posts
Welcome to bmw and to this site. These guys are awesome! Any question or concern they can help. You will love the experience!

·
Registered
323 Posts
Wonderful bike. I wish you thousands and thousands of miles of safe and happy riding.

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
Welcome on board.

Glad you are here and I know you have made the right choice in bikes, but please share with us what it was about the ST1300 that didn't quite make it for you?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Welcome!

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
hopz said:
Welcome on board.

Glad you are here and I know you have made the right choice in bikes, but please share with us what it was about the ST1300 that didn't quite make it for you?
St1100.
The RT's are looking better and better! :bmw:

·
Registered
241 Posts
Welcome, join in the mosh pit.
I will be traveling up into Canada late this Summer.
I have posted my itinerary over in "Ride Tales" and would
appreciate any advice/input you may have.

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65684

From the stickers - it looks like a 2012?
Give us the low down.
Farkles?

BTW - sweet pic.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the welcomes. The Honda was a ST1100 and I had it for 13 years and there really was nothing wrong with it but new shiny toys tempted me. It looks like a nice trip you are going on but I have very limited knowledge of BC, only been there four times and then traveled by rental car.

The R1200RT is well equipped with the tire monitors, electric suspension control, audio system, cruise control and the large top box. I really like the bike and if I were to pick it's weakness it would be the mirrors, I just haven't found the right position to have a good view of what's going on around me.

Thanks again

Gerhard

·
Registered
28 Posts
+1 on the mirrors and Welcome.

I also bought a new 1200rt this week and have really enjoyed the rides. Mine is a twin to yours option wise and color.

I still have a HD Street Glide and It's gonna get some idle time because this RT has my full attention.

I live 7 miles from Sedalia Mo. Hope to see you at the BMWMOA rally this summer

Have fun and ride safe

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Mirror Solution

Welcome Gerhard and Dirtdreamer:

There is actually a simple solution to the mirror problem.

I had some extra handlebar clamps, which have mirror mount threads, from my R1200R after mounting RT handguards. A similar clamp without the mirror threads is used on the RT bikes, and you can add the GS/RR mirrors simply by changing the top part of the clamp which solves the limited view of the standard mirrors on the RT. I only use the stock mirrors for direct rear view now.

The number inside the clamp is the BMW stock number that can be ordered.

After installation it looks like this:

Notice that I added some stick-on wide angle mirrors to eliminate all blind spots. For those wondering about the toggle switch and the "volume control" knob: The toggle switch activates the RT-P fan installed behind the oil radiator, and the knob is the brightness control for the Clearwater Kristas.

Overall view:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Re: Mirror Solution

Welcome, I bought a new R1200RT about a month ago now and have put 2,000 miles on it. Love it, and doing all my own maintenance on it. Surprising how cheap the couple of tools needed are when compared to taking it to the dealer.

I had a ST1300 for the last 5 years along with an Ultra Classic. Loved both, but also needed a change. One thing to agree with, what was BMW thinking with those mirrors?

-Mark

·
Registered
323 Posts
Had the mirror issue on mine as well, got some GS mirrors and the problem went away. Sometimes I think designers don't think as much as they could about function. Stock mirrors certainly integrate into the lines of the bike, but don't work as well as the GS mirrors. I've even put small spot mirrors in the corners of the stock mirrors. When it comes to safety and seeing what's behind you the more mirrors the better.

Would love to see more photos of the Krista lights.

Mark

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
The first thing I did to mine was put the mirrors on the hadlebars. You can see so much more with that modification. you are going to love the bike.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
gphusky1 said:
Would love to see more photos of the Krista lights.

Mark

Here ya go Mark:

The brackets are the Clearwater supplied items for the RT, and are easy to install with the supplied hardware. The nice thing about the mounting position is that there is no turbulence generated into the rider. Toughest thing is drilling holes in the mirror fairing to mount them. That is painful, but the instructions are very clear and self evident when you place the brackets to mark the drill points. The only suggestion I would make is to take a Dremel tool and slightly radius the outside holes on the bracket to allow moving the aim point of the lamps outward a bit. They are fine as they are, but a wider spread would be better. The other thing is to put anti-seize or some kind of lubricant on the threads of the mounting bolts when running into the lamp housings themselves. The threaded area is very tight and easy to cross thread if you do not take care to line up the bolts. Start the threads in with fingers only to avoid major FUBAR . The Kristas are pricey, but are very high quality and give outstanding performance.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I picked up my 2012 R 1200 RT two weeks ago. I am so far enjoying most everything about the bike with the exception of the mirrors. I must say that this is a design flaw that shouldn't have to be corrected after market. Thanks to those of you who posted your suggestions to corrective action. Also, my legs are a little cramped up, what suggestions might you all have for this issue? I have looked at the after market floor boards - yuck for aesthetics. Recommendations if any would be much appreciated. :)

·
Registered
287 Posts
gphusky1 said:
Had the mirror issue on mine as well, got some GS mirrors and the problem went away.

Sometimes I think designers don't think as much as they could about function. Stock mirrors certainly integrate into the lines of the bike, but don't work as well as the GS mirrors.
My guess is that the stocks mirrors are postioned where they are to provide wind protection for the hands.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Very plausible.

I guess I'm a little sissy, but on damp and overcast days here in Oceanside, CA, when the temps are in the 50s, my hands to get cold from the wind. I should probably get better gloves. :)

Mark

1 - 20 of 29 Posts