BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The newest thread on tires I could find is 2011, so i'm starting a new one. Need recommendation on a High mileage tire for my 06 LT. Some of the older threads mention tires that are no longer available. I'm looking for a high mileage tire. I'm not one to do a lot of twisties and seldom (if i can help it) ride in the rain. Very conservative rider who tries to keep within speed limits. SUGGESTIONS? RECOMMENDATIONS? Will be going on a 3 or 4 k mile trip in the next month or so, and want to find a good dependable tire.

·
Registered
275 Posts
The newest thread on tires I could find is 2011, so i'm starting a new one. Need recommendation on a High mileage tire for my 06 LT. Some of the older threads mention tires that are no longer available. I'm looking for a high mileage tire. I'm not one to do a lot of twisties and seldom (if i can help it) ride in the rain. Very conservative rider who tries to keep within speed limits. SUGGESTIONS? RECOMMENDATIONS? Will be going on a 3 or 4 k mile trip in the next month or so, and want to find a good dependable tire.
I'm running 880 Metz on front and 888 Metz on rear. Supposed to be best tire for high mileage. The Metz is not as good as others in rain, but my plan is to ride slower in rain. Have no complaints so far. The 888 is about a 1/4" wider at it's widest point, so after install, take a peek at clearance between tire and swingarm. I thought it was a little close, so added a second wheel spacer. Some people don't have rubbing but some do.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Your options for the rear are limited as you probably read. The Avon Storm 3D XM, Bridgestone BTO20-M and Metzeler ME888. From my understanding the Metzeler last the longest with the Avon having the best traction and the Bridgestone being in the middle.
There is the Shrinko 777 that is rated 79H for the rear. I've heard that they are a decent tire but that about all I know.

The front has more options to pick from. Some prefer a matched set, some prefer mixing brands for longer wear. I like traction so I'm running Avons front and rear.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Put an 888 on the front and rear. By far the best tires I've used for milage and dependability. The front is 10 mil wider and taller then recommended but wanted the 888. Didn't like the 880's.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts