BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My 2009 LT,with 37k, defintely needs new shocks. It feels like a new GW in the corners (lol). I called Ted Porter BMW and spoke with Ted. He suggested the Yacugar shocks made in the Netherlands, instead of the Wilbers. He likes the larger 16mm shaft of the Yacugar over the 14mm shaft of the Wilbers along with some other points that only a "suspension guy" would really appreciate. I ordered the new set and can't wait to try them on a Colorado ride next month. Anybody have any experience with the Yacugars? Ted says they're very popular in Europe but just getting to the states and that's why they are discounting them down to the Wilbers prices. Just wondering.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Wilbers HAVE a reputation ... That other one I Can Not even pronounce :rolleyes: not so much.

Servicing them years from now also something to consider ??????????????

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I understand, but at least they have the same 5 year warranty and they're steel bodies so the rebuild is easy...according to Ted, they'll be somewhat cheaper to rebuild because of the design. I guess only time will tell.

·
Premium Member
2,024 Posts
Good luck with your "new suspension." If they perform anything like Wilbers, Ohlins(mine) or Hyper Pro, the difference will be amazing. No experience with that brand, keep us posted.

·
Premium Member
2,967 Posts
simoncharles said:
Google says that the company was started by ex WP employees in Holland after KTM closed the factory and moved somewhere else.

More info . . .

Attachments

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the article. Ted told me the story about the company. Apparently when WP decided to move to Austria (I think) several employees didn't want to move to another country so they started the new brand. Ted said they were excellent engineers and the product is an extreme hit in Europe and is expected to be so here...just takes time. I'm really excited to get something new. My LT is not handling well at all and I'm going thru "withdrawals" not riding her like I usually do. I'll let you folks know after I try them out. Once they're installed, the wife and I will be taking a trip to the high county of Colorado (Montrose, Ouray etc) for 8-10 days to really test them. In case you're interested, the price currently is about $1,400 for the front and rear built to your riding weight and your passenger's weight plus gear. Install is been quoted by by dealer, and Ted, as approx. 5 hrs labor. The tupperware is the main labor factor. Like Ted said, the shocks are done, just have to put them in but the LT is time consuming getting access to the areas affected. Thanks for the responses.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Have to disagree there.

Virtually no tupperware needs to be removed to install the rear shock unless they are designed differently than other shocks.

To install the front one, some previous knowledge of how the front suspension was built would be a great help.

Five hours sounds slightly more than I would expect, unless it´s the first LT they have worked on.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm living in Europe, being a motorcycle enthousiast and have never seen or hear anything about Yacugar... But I may have missed something.
Personnaly I've changed the shocks for Fournales ones, front and rear. 1000 euros or 1400 dollars with taxes. Really cheaper than Ohlins, but may be less efficient. I can't tell.
I'm very happy with them. As the principle is different than with a spring, the Fournales uses air instead, the confort is good because it's more progressive.

I've asked the factory to increase the lenght of the rear shock of 8 mm, or 3/8 of an inch, to enhance the maniability. The Light Truck feels 50 kg (110 pounds) lighter in the curbs.
It did not transform the LT into a mopped but it's very noticeable, especially in the beginning of the curb, despite the Metzeler.
The wobble in the connection of tar seems to have disappeared.
Sorry for my poor english, I think that Fournales shocks would be hard to order here but no matter the brand it's interesting to increase a bit the lenght of the rear to upgrade the bike.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts