BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have put on 36,000 miles on my ‘03 LT and plan to keep it for a few more years, so I have been thinking that it might be time for some new shocks. I can replace the stock shocks for about $2100 (parts and labor at the dealer) or I can replace both shocks with Ohlins for $2500 (parts and labor). To me this sounds like a no-brainer, go for the Ohlins! Are there any issues I’m not considering?, Considering I am a somewhat conservative rider (especially two-up), can I expect better performance with the Ohlins?

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Agent86 said:
I can replace the stock shocks for about $2100 (parts and labor at the dealer) or I can replace both shocks with Ohlins for $2500 (parts and labor).
The list price for Ohlins for your LT is approx $1600. That means the dealer is quoting you $900 labor. Even if they had shop rates of $100 an hour that is 9 hours labor. I would think an experienced tech would do the job way under 9 hours...

If the labor rate was a more realistic $75 a hour that equals 12 hours labor.. :confused:

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,175 Posts
Agent86 said:
I have put on 36,000 miles on my ‘03 LT and plan to keep it for a few more years, so I have been thinking that it might be time for some new shocks. I can replace the stock shocks for about $2100 (parts and labor at the dealer) or I can replace both shocks with Ohlins for $2500 (parts and labor). To me this sounds like a no-brainer, go for the Ohlins! Are there any issues I’m not considering?, Considering I am a somewhat conservative rider (especially two-up), can I expect better performance with the Ohlins?
Take a trip on the bike to Los Angeles, California and we'll have a tech session. The shock replacement would take a whole day.
Be sure to invite Ken Meese to assist that day. I saw him remove the Ohlins from his old LT and put back stock shocks in just a few hours, so it can be done. No special tools required, just a torque wrench.
How does that sound?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
jackd said:
The list price for Ohlins for your LT is approx $1600. That means the dealer is quoting you $900 labor. Even if they had shop rates of $100 an hour that is 9 hours labor. I would think an experienced tech would do the job way under 9 hours...

If the labor rate was a more realistic $75 a hour that equals 12 hours labor.. :confused:
I found the Ohlins online for about $1350 and the dealer said he would match that price and the install would be around $800. On line I can save the sales tax or from the dealer I can save shipping.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
zippy_gg said:
Take a trip on the bike to Los Angeles, California and we'll have a tech session. The shock replacement would take a whole day.
Be sure to invite Ken Meese to assist that day. I saw him remove the Ohlins from his old LT and put back stock shocks in just a few hours, so it can be done. No special tools required, just a torque wrench.
How does that sound?
Why did he replace the Ohlins with stockers? Selling the bike?

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Agent86 said:
I did the same (Ohlins) w/ my '03 at around 32K miles and the bike became better than new. I purchased them online for about $1,300 and my dealer installed them for $175.

Have about 11K on them now, w/ no problems whatsoever - love 'em!!

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,175 Posts
Agent86 said:
Why did he replace the Ohlins with stockers? Selling the bike?
Selling his bike with almost 100k miles and he is riding his new GT

·
Registered
150 Posts
The installation you're being quoted is quite high. Replacing the shocks yourself isn't too difficult a job but will take some time. I would recommend getting a friend to help though. Sometimes having someone to move the rear wheel up and down a bit is helpful while you align the shock. The front is easier to manage.

If you're just not inclined to work on the bike then shop around for another resource, your's is overpriced!

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
The last time I did the shock swap from OEMs to my Ohlins after having them rebuilt was just under 4 hours and that included taking the tupperware on and off. I've got to do it again to get the Ohlins on the replacement LT. It will take me a little longer this time as I have to modify some lights with disconnects to make removal and replacement easier.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts