BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I install new Wilburs shocks on the bike this year and never got attention to the fact that the bike now cannot have a 'swing' when on the center stand. Both tires are almost touching ground.
Is it 'normal' for a set of Wilburs (I was told that they are 1/2" high) or I'm missing some adjustment?

I use to free spin the real tire, but now it's almost touching ground, and when I balance to the rear, the front tire will never leave ground.

All this on the center stand.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
strsout said:
I install new Wilburs shocks on the bike this year and never got attention to the fact that the bike now cannot have a 'swing' when on the center stand. Both tires are almost touching ground.
Is it 'normal' for a set of Wilburs (I was told that they are 1/2" high) or I'm missing some adjustment?

I use to free spin the real tire, but now it's almost touching ground, and when I balance to the rear, the front tire will never leave ground.

All this on the center stand.
If I read your post correctly you loose a inch of rear wheel clearance when on the center stand. Due to the increased length of a half inch F-R. Sounds appropriate for the increase in shock length.
So what's the problem?

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
murray said:
If I read your post correctly you loose a inch of rear wheel clearance when on the center stand. Due to the increased length of a half inch F-R. Sounds appropriate for the increase in shock length.
So what's the problem?

Pete,
you understood right. :)

My question is there if it is a problem or not, and how others are doing with this situation.
There are only 2 problems I could tell:
1) It's harder to rock the bike out of the center stand now.
2) The front wheel won't spin free any more. (good when you are putting air on tires, removing the front breaks, etc.)

My questions is there is any thing that could be done? Or just live with it?

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I just put Ohlins on and it raised the bike by an inch. I to noticed that the bike is harder to get off the stand, I have about 3/4" clear under the rear tire. I did notice that when I put the peg lowering kit back on I can now do twisties and not drag so much peg that it hikes the rear wheel off the ground.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
strsout said:
Pete,
you understood right. :)

My question is there if it is a problem or not, and how others are doing with this situation.
There are only 2 problems I could tell:
1) It's harder to rock the bike out of the center stand now.
2) The front wheel won't spin free any more. (good when you are putting air on tires, removing the front breaks, etc.)

My questions is there is any thing that could be done? Or just live with it?
Elton although the wilbers are a half inch longer I thought the shock length was adjustable from the opposite side of the shock body. If so and you want to shorten the shock length do so evenly F-R.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BikerBob said:
I bet it's easier to put her up on the center stand
Ho ye!!.. now is just a small push and it's there :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts