BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced the crankshaft seal in the timing chain cover due to it leaking. New seal, still leaks:crybaby: I just realized the flexible part of the seal which contacts the shaft, is facing/pushed out (I guess you could say) away from the engine which seems like the oil could be forced out (B). After installing the timing chain cover, should that flexible teflon seal be rolled back towards the engine?(A) (see diagram). Which is correct A or B? Or what else could it be?
Thanks,
Doug

Attachments

·
Registered
220 Posts
Typically the sealing lip faces the oil side. Some seals may additionally also have a dust lip which will face the dry side, but the sealing lip should face the oil side like in your sketch A (assuming the arrow points to the dry side).

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
Every oil seal I've ever seen is tapered towards the oil source. This tightens the seal with pressure rather than lifting it off the shaft. Looks to me like it's on backwards. That would certainly explain the leak.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,358 Posts
The factory manual has you install the cover THEN install the seal. Apply tire lube to the out side of the seal then insert with special tools that force the lip inward. The lip should be dry. They cover can be installed with the seal in place but you have to be very careful on the lips.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts