BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
Just traded in my 94 K75 for a new R1200RT. It has been sitting in the shed and today was the day it came out. I ended up riding 150 miles today. I love this bike.
One problem though, my right shoulder is killing me. I have been looking around at other forums and everyone else says they love the Ilium Works bar risers. Does anyone else have this problem, or am I just a 28 year old whimp?
Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
3,286 Posts
Yes the Ilium risers are very nice and work well.

However I would take a few more rides to be sure.

Were you tense on the bike. Did your excitement have you sitting the bike different then you may when used to it more?

And I would think riding position is different from your previous bike and it takes a while for you to develop muscle memory in a new riding position.

All that said I needed to put them on my 15 RT as my right shoulder hurt also. The Ilium risers did solve that.

It just took me a while to follow advice and ride a few rides to make sure it is not me or a bad habit making me sit the bike different then I normally would before I added something to the mix.

The other thing is if you are going after another seat that may affect this also, sitting you one way or another.

Not trying to talk you out of risers just trying to make sure you need them before you spend money and time on something you may not need.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the tips.
Im sure I was tense seeing that it was my first full true ride. All I know is that I can't have my shoulder hurting like it did last night.
I will take it out a couple more times before I get the risers.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I echo LAF's advice; every time I change bikes it takes my body a bit to adjust to a new riding position. I try to resist the urge to start changing things like windshields, handlebars, and seats until I have a few thousand miles on the bike.

Congrats on the new RT! It's such a great bike!

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have to say the same as laf. You need to get used to the bike first. Get the new muscle tone working and then make a decision.

I put the ilium bar backs on mine. I prefer a more upright position, it takes pressure of my wrist.

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
I put the Illium bar backs on because my wrists were getting sore. Once I got them installed, my wrists were sore enough that it took them a few days to return to normal. But, what I noticed immediately on my first ride with the bar backs was how much more relaxed my shoulders and upper back was. Good advice above about giving your body time to adjust to your new bike, but there are fixes if you need to adapt the bike to your body.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.