BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I guess I’m a reluctant RT owner because this is the third time I’ve tried an RT and I’m hoping this time it sticks. Just sold my ‘06 RTP and picked up a ‘14 RT lc. Only got the RTP in November but had the chance to move up so I did. Looking forward to good info and participating on the forum.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Hope you like it. I'm more of an oilhead guy, having owned four GS's (the newest was a 2008) and only one RT (an 1100).

I'm replying to your intro simply to share an anecdote. I used to have a really great BMW mechanic, he was the Service Manager at a major BMW dealership (I say "used to have" because he has since moved out-of-state), very highly respected. Back in 2012 or 2013, whenever, he flew back to Germany to spend six weeks at the BMW factory getting certified for the waterboxer prior to its release.

When he came back, he told me that the waterboxer was fantastic! He could not believe what a jump shift it was from the oil-cooled boxers. He was EXTREMELY impressed. But, as a mechanic, there were some things he didn't like. I asked him, "like what?" I still remember his reply that if you have a problem with the waterboxer transmission, the fix is -- replace the transmission!

Looking at the fiche for your bike, he's kinda right--there's just one part number for the RT transmission and that part costs $4700. This, after he tore apart the transmission on my R1150GSA to replace a $40 bearing. So, I expect the bike will be hugely smile producing for you, but if and when it breaks hopefully it will be something that's easy to fix.

Have fun! (And welcome to the forum of course.)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
With encouragement like that I think I’ll put the For Sale sign on it now.

·
Registered
'18 R1200RT, '18 Abarth 124 Spider, '87 VFR 400R & an everyday sedan.
149 Posts
I have yet to read of rampant transmission issues with the RT-LC version so I can't see selling the bike. It's a great bike with many very happy owners. If you're that concerned think about buying a good extended warranty/service contract. I'll be keeping my '18 RT until I have to either downsize or stop riding for physical or other health/safety reasons.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I just love those posts that complain of how something comes apart. The 14 redesign changed everything and since then they have basically changed nothing, even on the shift cam, it did not touch 90% of the motor/transmission etc layout. The efficiency and power output is great, and the one wear item we can agree on, the clutch is easily reached now. I also have an 18 and with an ECM tune, have the same power as the shift cam.

·
Registered
92 Posts
With encouragement like that I think I’ll put the For Sale sign on it now.
If you are going to let one negative post decide what bike you shall own you are in big trouble. I'll share my positive story. I've owned eight BMWs since I was 17 years old (now 54), have had issue with some of my bikes, but still love them. My favorite? My current R1250RT. Best bike I've ever owned. I also bought the extended warranty for piece of mine. Of the things that have gone wrong in nearly 750k miles of riding, the transmission is not one of them on any of the bikes. However, my 1994 R1100RS did a new transmission under warranty, but not because it broke. Any bike you get is a crap shoot as to whether stuff will break. Now that you have your R1200RTP, ride it and enjoy it.

My bikes through the years and miles on the bike when sold and some of the issues.
1977 R100/7 - 250k - stuck carb floats(gas soaked boots), worn rear drive spines, diode board, starter
1984 R100RS - 123k - stuck carb floats(has soaked boots), diode board
1985 K100RS - 52k - Muffler heat shield fell off.
1994 R1100RS - 169k - Too numerous to mention (includes transmission). BMW installed nearly 12k in parts under warranty
1998 R1100RS - 38k - Leaking battery, leaking rear main seal. All done under warranty.
2001 R1150RS - 43k - ABS pump failure. Replaced under warranty.
2005 R1200RT - 129k - Horn circuit shutdown. Connected one horn to battery via relay myself. Three warranty items. Nothing else to report
2019 R1250RT - 14k... and counting - Keyless ride gas cap failed. Replaced under warranty.

Knocking on wood.... I've never been stranded because of a failure due to the bike.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My comment was aimed more at the response to my intro than at the bike. My first post and someone’s telling me what’s wrong with the bike AND he doesn’t own or ride one. Really? I’m not in the least bit worried about the tranny, never heard of one going south and it must be pretty robust to withstand all the clunking! First week and first 1000 miles and I don’t dislike the bike. Actually getting to like it a bit more as it feels more familiar. Did someone say ECU reflash?

·
Registered
'17 RTW; Dark Blue; Illium barbaks and crash bars; Sargent seat, Aeroflow Tall windscreen.
131 Posts
My comment was aimed more at the response to my intro than at the bike. My first post and someone’s telling me what’s wrong with the bike AND he doesn’t own or ride one. Really? I’m not in the least bit worried about the tranny, never heard of one going south and it must be pretty robust to withstand all the clunking! First week and first 1000 miles and I don’t dislike the bike. Actually getting to like it a bit more as it feels more familiar. Did someone say ECU reflash?
Donk:

Mine got better with more miles. They loosen up a bit. They're also a bit more fun when the gadgets are all understood and can be worked with muscle-memory. It's so tempting to screw around with that stuff while you're riding. Best safety tip....Don't be afraid to go out on your own with it and pull over frequently until you have things down. Then repeat after reading about whatever it is.

I have a wireless helmet communication thing, my 3rd try at them. 1st was a unit that came with a Schuberth helmet...build into the collar of it. It was rubbish. I bought a normal collar and removed the thing. Then came a Sena 30S. Nice unit, but not very compatible with BMW's not that great built-in entertainment system. ('17 RT).

Finally, I broke down and bought a Cardo Packtalk Slim. It's very good. It's more compatible with my RT's system. I can use my iPod through the bike and it sends to my helmet. Allows me to skip, stop and replay with the handlebar wheel. Volume adjustment still requires reaching up to the Cardo or "Hey Cardo, Volume Up." The phone is still a bit iffy. Sometimes, it works, usually no phone calls. This isn't all bad. I love going out on a bike and not thinking about answering a phone. Hooking these up should be easy...but it's really not.

I don't pair with the GPS. As a result, I don't get my address book on my GPS. I don't get to dial from GPA. Usually, I just pull over, dial a number and talk through the helmet.

I can stream from the phone, but my phone isn't wired to the bike for charging..and it sucks power from the phone a lot when you steam tunes through bluetooth. When i use the phone for tunes, the telephone function works correctly through the helmet. When I use my iPod, I get the skip/stop/replay function on the handlebar. Why can't I have it all? Oh well.

Still, I agree with the others. LC RTs are terrific. Smoother and just plain better....and I really loved my '05 RT with Wilbers 3-way adjustable shocks. The new bike has more poke and it's smoother and just nicer to live with.

Reactions: taran1900
1 - 8 of 8 Posts