BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've been a member here for a while and I hope my contributions have been helpful from time to time. As you'll see from my avatar my other passion is gliding. I'm pleased to say that I've just recently set a new record and did a write up about it which you can read by following the link below. Before you click can I ask a favour? Please click on the 5th star to rate the article if you like it. (If you don't, please, please, please don't click on any. As my mother would say, if you have nothing good to say, say nothing!). This request is not driven by vanity. We (the gliding movement) are in dire straights here at the moment and we are trying to use this event a to generate as much publicity as possible. If enough people vote the article will make it into the 'Top Rated' section and be more visible for longer.

Thanks.

http://soaringcafe.com/2014/07/irelands-first-500km-flight-kevin-houlihan/

·
Premium Member
1,392 Posts
Congrats! :bmw:

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,458 Posts
Great accomplishment to be proud of, Kevin. And a great read too. Best to you on future challenges, and do share 'em with our community. 👍

·
Miles of Smiles
1,054 Posts
Congratulations Kevin.
Nice write-up, wonderful, respecting nature in all her moods.
Enjoy the summer.

·
Premium Member
4,883 Posts
Congratulations on the record flight and a very good article. We have a soaring club at our local dropzone and I love to watch them fly. Every now and then I catch a cloud and get to stay up a little longer under canopy and play with your buddies.... Again, really nice article.

How was that end of the day beer?

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,175 Posts
You got my vote!;)
Good read too! Thanks!

·
Registered
513 Posts
+1 from me! like the article. congratulations!!

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Congratulations on your record :thumb:

Got a question (probably a dumb question), do you ever run into clear air turbulence? Just wondering how you manage that without thrust.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys for your votes and your tributes here. The piece seems to have got way more votes than most other articles but has not yet made it into the 'Top Rated'. I don't know why. Maybe that's refreshed every month, or maybe it's because there have been a couple of votes less than 5 stars and the others have only 5. In that case the only hope is to swamp the poorer votes with 5 stars - so keep them coming please.

Thanks Dan for your comment as well. I read that before I came on to this site and suspected it was you. If it was a good read then it will have been a success. If it gets you back in a glider then it will have been a great success! - even better if that flight is here with us! FYi, I used about 33,000 feet on the flight. That's roughly 3 skydives for you lasting what? 5 minutes each? Just for comparison.

Gruivis yes we get all kinds of turbulance. We just make sure the straps are tight and fly through it. Gliders are incredibly strong. Our training two seaters have G loading limits of +7 and -3.5. I blacked out a guy once teaching steep turns at less than+2.

Keep the 5 stars coming guys please. Kevin.

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
Congrats......very nice read.

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
Just gave you another 5. Good writing.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Gliders are incredibly strong. Our training two seaters have G loading limits of +7 and -3.5. I blacked out a guy once teaching steep turns at less than+2.
Wow, who knew? Here I was thinking these were 'mopeds of the sky' :D

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well then this should blow your mind. I've driven sports cars, including around a race track, fast bikes and flown airplanes and the fastest I've ever gone, 270kph regularly, has been in a glider - with no engine!

·
Registered
560 Posts
A great read and congratulations. Brought back a lot of memories when my younger brother and I worked ground crew to receive flight training at Harris Hill near Elmira, New York. Learned to soar in the old Schweitzer 2-22 back in 1967. Unfortunately, we moved before I had the chance to solo. I was only 16. Your story makes me want to knock off an item on my bucket list to go back and solo.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It just worked fine for me. Please be aware that they've removed the voting and the 'likes' for the comments from everything in the website. It seems a friend of theirs, who has just thrown his toys out of the pram, was getting adverse reaction. But if you'd like to read my 'howidunnit' the link should work.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts