·
Registered
1,706 Posts
(Homer sez) Mmmmmmmmmmmmm ad ven ture! :cool: :cool: :cool:

·
Registered
197 Posts
Just shoot me

PLease if you ever see me on top of one of these, GS or GS Adventure.

These have got to be the uggliest looking piece of machinery ever build by man. These things are uglier than Gremlins. I will have a station wagon Pinto before I ever bought one of these..............

·
Premium Member
2,645 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
RaffyK said:
OMG...

You wouldn't harass me if I let go of the LT for one of these will ya?
No, because I own both (Not the Adventure, but a R1200GS and K1200LT)

·
Registered
567 Posts
Where do you mount the loaderbucket & backhoe attachments

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Darcy, Darcy... you pick on the looks of the GS, the top selling bike made by BMW, and you're restoring a Water Buffalo??!!

Just think of it as a two wheeled Hummer, an A-10 Warthog, or a Dodge Power Wagon. Purdy it ain't from clean lines like an LT, but functional as hell it is. Oh, yeah, and you never need to clean it, just hose off the big clumps now and then ;)

Let us hear how the buffalo project comes along. That's a fun one!

·
Registered
216 Posts
quandary??

Guys,

I am sorry, I have been pondering the thought of a GS. I can't afford both, but the GS is calling my name when I am thinking of heading way north, but then the LT cradles me back in when I think about all the comfortable/exciting miles we have spent together. My GL1800 comrades think I am crazy for wanting the GS, but my 29 y/o kid at heart says that I could overcome the North with ease on a GS....

The '06 doesn't seem to help...

·
Registered
197 Posts
Point

Pete...Pete sir you sure have point, specially since the guy that had my buffalo before me painted yellow....aghhhh!!!

And BTW I found the a bike even more horrifying........Triumph's new Scrambler.
http://www.onyertriumph.net/2006/scrambler.htm

Man this one tops the Water Buffalo, which as a matter of fact will get her first trip to North GA Mountains tomorrow, throttle still sticking a little but I think she is ready. Bought that bike to restore it and sale it, think I am going to keep it.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Thanks for the scrambler page...another retro bike that sorta looks like a Honda 70, or 90 or so...for those who want something that reminds them of what they thought was cool at the time, but couldn't hope to afford it or the girl that went with it at the time. The Bonnie is on that list for me, but if I get a Triumph next year it would be the Daytona 675. I find it exciting. CHeep, 124 horsies, pretty good suspension...I hope they sell a ton of them.

Here is a great funny article on the water buffalo.

http://www.motorbyte.com/mmm/pages/oldbike/tob3_98.htm

·
BMW Guru
8,469 Posts
ATLDB said:

These have got to be the uggliest looking piece of machinery ever build by man. These things are uglier than Gremlins. I will have a station wagon Pinto before I ever bought one of these..............

It's not about how it looks!!:( It's all about doin' stuff like this:D -

·
Registered
205 Posts
ATLDB said:

You sound like you must have been a Harley rider at one time (like most of us) if you're concerned abut how a bike looks. I've been through 16 new bikes in the last 6 years and I've got to where I don't give a flip about how a bike looks or even what color it is. I just want a bike that performs and handles the way I want it to.

You say you would never be caught on top of a GS. Well it's like the LT, if you don't ever want to own one, you had better not ride one. I've never had a bike surprise me so much in my life. This is the most enjoyable, versatile bike I have ever owned. It will even out corner my Yamaha FJR1300, you can load so much gear on it for my Alaska and Mexico trips, it is light and great for around town, and it is a very comfortable touring bike. Needless to say, I love it. I've had 3 LT's, RT, KRS and the GS. It is my favorite.

I had a $25,000 Ducati follow me around the Deal's Gap area for a day since he didn't know the roads. When we got back his statement was, "I've never seen such a tall, ugly bike corner so well in my life."

Doug Hines
Benton, AR

·
Registered
354 Posts
Woooooow..... What an awesome ride. Hmmm, maybe that boxer will get me off the LT?

·
Prodigal Son
1,297 Posts
OK, enlighten me--
Wire wheels-- off road--heavy bike--Why?
Lighter wt, hammer it out off road repairs or another reason??

·
Registered
36 Posts
You got it

Except for the lighter weight( very little diff if any). You pop a spoke or 3 you can make field repairs to be able to limp back home, same damage or hit to a mag wheel would most likely destroy it and good luck limping back home.

It all depends on how much off roading you want to do, I went with the Mags because I will be doing more pavement than heavy off roading. Less maintainance too (trueing the spokes is a pain)

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
early1 said:
OK, enlighten me--
Wire wheels-- off road--heavy bike--Why?
Lighter wt, hammer it out off road repairs or another reason??
Strength and flexibility and reparability. They take quite a licking and keep on going. Though its a PITA, they can be trued after a bad hit.

War story: Roaming around a subdivision after dark last year, I hit a standard street curb at a 60 degree angle at 30 mph. I maintained control, and could not tell that either rim hit anything!

The alloy rims are very strong too, and should be adequate for most rides. Though it may be mainly perception, you might get a good portion of their cost back on resale.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts