BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 1996 R1100RT with 89,000 miles on it. It came with service records. What sold me (other than the test ride, which was great!!) was that, even with a 30" inseam, I was able to sit flatfooted!
Are there any issues with this model I should be aware of?

·
Registered
112 Posts
motormouse said:
I just purchased a 1996 R1100RT with 89,000 miles on it. It came with service records. What sold me (other than the test ride, which was great!!) was that, even with a 30" inseam, I was able to sit flatfooted!
Are there any issues with this model I should be aware of?
Ride with caution if you have flat feet?

·
Registered
444 Posts
Congratulations on your new bike. I really enjoyed my '97 R1100RSL. There might have been some issues with earlier R1100 transmissions and the annoying ABS light if there is not enough voltage to sync the ABS at start up.

I would suggest checking out the wrenching section on Oilheads on the BMW Sport Touring site.

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=1&page=1

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
The few things I can think of are the Hall Effect Sensor; early RT models (yours) had wiring insulation that would become brittle from the engine heat and crack causing the engine to run like crap if at all. Check the records to see if the wiring and/or the HES has been replaced. If not that may be a project you'd like to consider. (Beemer Boneyard among other places)
You should be coming up at the 96k mile mark for a new alternator belt.
I'd check the clutch free play.
The cam timing chain tensioner on the left side is known to give problems. If you hear what is described as a "death rattle" upon start up you would want to change the original with a updated version. (Rubber Chicken Racing)

Other than that, they're solid, relatively simple bikes to care for. Compare the maintenance records with the maintenance schedule and see if there's any discrepancies. There's not much maintenance that you can't do yourself if you're a little mechanically inclined. Lotsa knowledge and help on this forum and the BMWST.com forum. Not to mention the IBMWR forum. Also, BMWMOA site.

Enjoy the bike.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
The R1100RT is a sweetheart compared to some of the newest bikes..
Lots less to go wrong and leave you on the side of the road..

I just replaced the O-ring behind the fuel pump/sensor assembly.. Walked into the shop one day and there was a puddle on the ground under the bike..
Mine has never let me down... (shouldn't have said that !)

Yours might be a lowered or low seat model if you aren't having issues at 30". I'm 34" and just get a good flat foot..

I still say that this body style which includes the LT is a much prettier, smoother, more aerodynamic style than the new ones...

Enjoy your bike... Keep off other BMW's to avoid having a stable full... DAMHIK !!!

John

1 - 5 of 5 Posts