BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everywhere i've searched brings up very old posts, so i'm trying again. Does anyone have a stash of OEM Rubber well nuts that they'd be willing to sell at a reasonable price? I just can't bring myself to pay 6 bucks each at the Stealer, and the Aftermarket ones are terrible. (at least those that i've found). Worth a try. I had found an old (2016) post from a member who had some for 2.50 each, and emailed him, but he never responded. At that price, i'd buy 20, so if anyone has any, please feel free to email me at [email protected].

Attachments

Reactions: Hilton

·
Premium Member
5,122 Posts
Reactions: 58caddy

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no.. I tried these aftermarket ones, and they just don't work right.. I found someone though, so thank you

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
I found some at Napa Auto but they were completely smooth and would not stay in the holes to be tightened. I have several I would also like to replace, maybe all of them if the price was good.

·
Registered
181 Posts
What stands out about the OEM BMW well nuts is the incorporated washer which sits in the head of the well nut. I have yet to find another well nut like it. I suppose you could get some non-OEM ones and just glue a washer to the head or just use the non-OEM ones as they come. Once again BMW uses a non-standard part that no one else does, which allows them to charge whatever they want for replacements.

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
It's been a few years so I don't remember what the prices were, but I bought some that were advertised as being for the LT, but they didn't have the washer and didn't fit quite right, so I ended up ordering from Max. As I recall the price seemed a bit better than any place else, but still more than what they should be. I find Max usually has better prices than other dealers and you can't beat the service (not to mention the M&Ms.)

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
If the OD of the nut is not sized correctly, the resulting expansion of the rubber will not tighten adequately inside and from behind the cavity it inserts into..

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
Denise at bentonville (AR) BMW. She's always been able to beat max and my local steeler...

·
Cat Herder
1,486 Posts
Free to good home... I don't have an LT anymore. Use them before they dry rot...

Attachments

·
Registered
4,356 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
If anyone needs some well nuts, message me. I'll give you the phone number of a guy in kY that has a whole bunch of OEM ones. I just bought 20 of them for 48 bucks. that's 2.25 each and 3 for shipping. Private guy not a dealer, and he says he has a bunch left. I don't want to give his number out in the open on the forum, but he said i could pass it on to anyone interested.
Joe

Reactions: bmwcoolk1200

·
Registered
92 Posts
How many of these well nuts are used on the LT?

I just got a 99 LT. Next weekend I plan on air filter, oil change, trans and final drive oil change, spline lube, and new plugs. The bike has 109,000. Thankfully I have a lift!

I am going to be undressing the old girl and figure I will be needing some. How many should I get?

How much different is a spline lube from a k100rs,rt? I am thinking the only difference is just the slave cylinder instead of clutch cable. OH and all that tupperware

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
How many of these well nuts are used on the LT?

I just got a 99 LT. Next weekend I plan on air filter, oil change, trans and final drive oil change, spline lube, and new plugs. The bike has 109,000. Thankfully I have a lift!

I am going to be undressing the old girl and figure I will be needing some. How many should I get?

How much different is a spline lube from a k100rs,rt? I am thinking the only difference is just the slave cylinder instead of clutch cable. OH and all that tupperware
edited: I quickly count 14. 6 on each side of the bumper rail assembly and one at the back side of each wing that goes into the fairing plastic.

Not sure if there are more elsewhere off the top of my head.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,257 Posts
Those are just like many that are available but they also lack the little "nubs" that hold then in the hole as well as the captive backup washer. OEM are unique.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
Those are just like many that are available but they also lack the little "nubs" that hold then in the hole as well as the captive backup washer. OEM are unique.
+1

I've tried the generic well nuts and found them very lacking. It's very aggravating having them spin in the hole when you are trying to remove a screw. Which by the way can happen with the OEM nuts as well if they are old and have been removed a number of times, but happens consistently with the generic nuts even when new.

I still have a bunch of the generic nuts I would be willing to send to anyone wanting to try. You just have to wait until the divorce is over so I can get to my stuff.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts