BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well tonight i broke a personal record for myself. I live in Northern NY, 50 miles south of Montral Que. From March 3 of this year to tonight, I rode the K1200LT every day to work. My shift starts at 1:30 pm to 10 pm 5 days a week. Ride to work in the daylight, back in the dark. Pulled in the garage tonight, was checking the bike out, seen canvas showing on the back tire, guess thats it until i get my new tires on.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Very nice, congrats! What's the current mileage on the odo, must be good?

·
Registered
912 Posts
Way to go!. March to November is darned impressive for upstate NY. Lucky you. I cannot imagine the many s'miles you put on the LT this year..
:bmw:
Bil

·
Registered
54 Posts
Nice. Very impressive. How cold were you OK in, and how cold was painful but you did it anyway?

I'm a little further south on Long Island. I also commute every day, and I really try for 200 days a year. I don't ride in the snow. Did you? If so how did it go?

With my last bike, (Vstrom), I was good with the tall windshield down to about 25F. With the LT I feel like a wuss with heated grips and a butt warmer and an adjustable windshield, but I'll try and manage. :D

I am shooting for a low temp of 10F and still be able to take my helmet off myself and feel my fingers.

Riding a motorcycle because I want the best gas mileage without feeling like a dork in a little economy car I would need a can opener to get 6'3" 275 in and out of. The bike is not a sport, not a hobby, it is my main mode of transportation. Great to know one more of us out there.

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
Don't know how you do it in those temps. I hear it gets pretty cold in NY.
I used to commute all year round here, but I had no choice - only had a bike! On top of that, I lived just over 100 miles from work (used to stay over every other shift though). Put 100k on my ST1100 in a very short space of time!
I work from home now - boy do I miss it

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The LT is an 05 and i just turned alittle over 51000 miles. I have rode in temp down as far as 12 degrees. I dont think i want to go any lower. Chuck

·
Registered
263 Posts
Upstate's a piece of cake.

I still ride every day - the bike's outside my window as I type this.

Gerbings...accept no substitute!!!

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Maine here.
yup, i ride 9 months + a year (as long as there is no ice!). i have already ridden in some snow 'showers" this year. (no road accumulation, but a couple of inches on the grassy surfaces... :p )

my '05, which was totalled in may of this year had 72,000 miles on it. and i rode it at least one day every month for 3 of the years that I owned it.

My '09, which I picked up on June 3rd of this year, has just over 7,000 miles on it. the snow showers aren't too bad, as long as the ground isn't frozen. once the hard freeze sets in, I am very careful when I put it on the road. last year, I had the bike out the first week of March, and had parked it after Thanksgiving.

My daily commute is just over 110 miles, and I have done as low as 8 degrees. That is just beyond my limit (NOW!!)

I also did hit freezing rain one morning on the way to work on the '05, and had to drive in the right hand tire track for over 20 miles (10 miles beyond my exit). I could not break out of the slush and ice on either side of the beat down track.

man, what a pucker factor!

I envy you southern riders (NOT!) i have taken the LT to Sugarloaf (www.sugarloaf.com) to downhill ski before. now that did turn plenty of heads! :histerica :rotf:

P.S. I rented equipment that day!

·
Registered
129 Posts
I started riding in Feb. here. I have no plans on stopping soon, unless the roads start to freeze. It was 5F early last winter when I started riding. I just bought a new riding jacket by Tourmaster. I think it is called the transition. I like it alot.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I'd hate to have to put the bike up for the winter, that would be a sad day. My wife and I rode out to East Texas yesterday, temp was about 60 and cloudy when we started, then turned into a glorious sunny day with a high right at 80. Rode 250 miles for the day, had a great lunch in Tyler, got back to Dallas in time for dinner. Still getting used to the (new to me) LT, but am loving it. Rode my '93 K75 all last winter, my low limit is 30, mostly because people leave their sprinkler systems running all winter here, and it's a little scary to find a patch of ice on the ride.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts