BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a 02 LT last night from a guy I work with so I know some of the history on this bike. It has the ABS light flashing, which I have learned is very common on these bikes. The battery is new and the brake fluid reservoirs are topped off.
In addition there is a servo motor that will continue to run after shutting the bike off. The only way to shut down the servo is to disconnect the battery. He tells me this a fairly new problem.
Also the speedometer jumps around from about 20mph to 40 mph no matter the speed, from sitting still to going 60 mph.
Any suggestions are appreciated. This is my first BMW, I previously have been riding a 96 Honda Magna.
Thanks

·
Registered
493 Posts
If it has the servo brakes, do check the micro switches at the front and rear brake levers/pedal. The switches activate the pump. If they’re active the ABS never passes the startup self check. Also, your pumps are running all the time.
To troubleshoot disconnect one at a time to see if the pump stops. Then replace the culprit.
Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Patric

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
speedo wire may be broken wire on the final drive at the zip tie point cut the cable tie and peel back the outer sleeve check condition of the wire, +1 what he said, but more than likely a relay problem with the brakes servo running with the key off.

Reactions: Patric and Munmi

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are those switches at the peddle and grip or back behind some panels? I played around with both, squeezing and releasing each but haven't removed any panels. I found that the pitch of the servo changed with both the front and rear, like it is still be activated. The other thought I have to fix it temporarly is to unplug the electronics from the ABS. Looks like I would need to remove the side panel to access this.
Thoughts?

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
Are those switches at the peddle and grip or back behind some panels? I played around with both, squeezing and releasing each but haven't removed any panels. I found that the pitch of the servo changed with both the front and rear, like it is still be activated. The other thought I have to fix it temporarly is to unplug the electronics from the ABS. Looks like I would need to remove the side panel to access this.
Thoughts?
There is one at the foot pedal under the cover plate and one on the under side of the right hand multi switch. one or the other may need some adjustment or possible replacement after making sure no wires are chaffed on their way back. I have heard of pebbles getting lodged in the real brake pedal keeping it from returning all the way to the home position and keeping the switch depressed.

If you still have the OEM black rubber brake lines, be very careful when pulling the brake pedal panel off. Twisting that around will surely hasten the demise of that short brake line that already needs to be replaced from age and deterioration.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,170 Posts
If your servos run with the key off then there is a failure in the ABS electronics. The brake switches will not cause the ABS servos to run when the key is off.

Reactions: Axle
1 - 6 of 6 Posts