BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've got a few question for you very smart riders.
1. My milage is lower than what I've been reading here says, could this be to not shifting at right rpm? If so where do I shift?
2. Is there any way of moving my bars closer to me? {about 2 inches}
3. Now for the real dumb question Is it a problem not to do the 6000 mile service, and just do the 12000 mile. I know the more service the better the bike will perform, and lessens the likely hood of break down.
This is my first BMW and I want to start out right.
Thanks
Sorry Guys my first post is not showing up on my puter

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
1. I never let RPM fall below 3500
2. cannot move the bars
3. Do the service

·
Registered
558 Posts
You don't mention which year you have. The early years get good mileage. My 99 runs in the 55-60 mpg range. The later years were geared lower and get less mileage. The new ones have more power and likely get less again. Mileage can depend on riding style. If you just check with the computer it can be off as well.

I don't think where you shift would be much of a problem unless you are lugging the motor.

The 6,000 mile check should be pretty much an oil and filter change and check over for the bike. There is no reason to pass on it.

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
I have an '06 with about 9,000 miles on it since last September. ~5000 of those miles are from a recent 9 day trip that included a 1000 mile and 1500 mile Iron Butt Runs.

Mileage on normal running, day trips etc is close to 50 mpg. On the trip one up loaded down and 75 to 80 mph (on ocasion higher...) I was getting about 45 mpg. At fuel stops on the trip I would take up to a gallon less to fill it than a H-D Ultra or a Kawasaki Vulcan that was on the same trip.

Ditto on the 3500 rpms and just do not lug the engine.

There is a after market riser that I have seen advertised but can not remember where. Surf the webb for bmw or metric parts/accessories.

Get the 6K. The warranty is pretty good so you do not want to give BMW an excuse not to honor it. You can do your own service but the warrenty requires a dealer to check the bike at least once a year.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts