BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellas, I am a proud new owner of a 2000 BMW K1200LT and since i have come to the conclusion that people here on this forum have more knowledge about the LT then the Deales do, i decided to become a member. I apologize in advance if i post alot of questions on this board but i am gearing the bike up for a ride from Florida to Canada in about 3 months and i would like to know everything i can about this bike and the accs. i can add. Thanks again. Joshua

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
Check out the Technical section, and read all the headings of interest to you in the Hall of Wisdom, soon you will know a lot of what we have learned as a collective over many years.

And yes, in very many cases we DO know more than many dealers. It is all in the numbers, as many knowledgeable owners together can know more about a subject than one dealer with 3-4 mechanics. Also, as a collective we have come up with fixes and preventive measures that work well, but may not be a "BMW approved" measure. Such as drilling the slave cylinder drain hole, a very valuable one which some dealers will do, but most won't.

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
Welcome. First things first. Just underneath and behind the right fall-down bumper are the two quick-disconnects for the fuel lines. They need to be metal or at least have metal male halves. The plastic male fittings commonly fail and will spew large amounts of fuel onto your leg and can cause the cycle to burst into flames. There's about five torx screws combined in the bottom of the black plastic and chrome plastic cover to check this. If they do need replaced you'll need to pull the right side cover which is pretty imposing the first time but is really not bad at all once you get used to it.

·
Registered
273 Posts
deanwoolsey said:
Welcome. First things first. Just underneath and behind the right fall-down bumper are the two quick-disconnects for the fuel lines. They need to be metal or at least have metal male halves. The plastic male fittings commonly fail and will spew large amounts of fuel onto your leg and can cause the cycle to burst into flames. There's about five torx screws combined in the bottom of the black plastic and chrome plastic cover to check this. If they do need replaced you'll need to pull the right side cover which is pretty imposing the first time but is really not bad at all once you get used to it.
Dean,

Why so dramatic, couldn't you of said that the plastic quick-disconnects may crack and leak fuel. We all know what leaking fuel can lead too! Besides, I doubt that a 2000 model even came with disconnects. This poor guy now thinks he just bought a time boom. :) I just put new metal quick-disconnects on because I had been pressing my luck for the last 62,000 miles. :) Anyway, welcome Joshua and good luck with the new to you ride.

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
Didn't mean to be in the high drama arena, but mine blew out and coated my leg at 60 MPH. I feel lucky as mine was streaming out and not just dripping as most do. You are correct. It's not that big of a deal but it needs to be checked. 2000 model years do have QDs. That's what I have.

It really can be a nuisance though at the wrong time and place. :D

The owner of the cycle in the photo said he noticed the strong odor of fuel, pulled over and put it on the side stand to check, and it ignited.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
deanwoolsey said:
Didn't mean to be in the high drama arena, but mine blew out and coated my leg at 60 MPH. I feel lucky as mine was streaming out and not just dripping as most do. You are correct. It's not that big of a deal but it needs to be checked. 2000 model years do have QDs. That's what I have.

It really can be a nuisance though at the wrong time and place. :D

The owner of the cycle in the photo said he noticed the strong odor of fuel, pulled over and put it on the side stand to check, and it ignited.
One way to get all the "Tupperware off" :histerica

·
Premium Member
4,883 Posts
Welcome Josh,

Lots of great info on this site and a "search" will locate answers to a lot of your questions. Many members on this site seem to know a lot more than the dealers will share and make your ownership much more pleasurable. I knew next to nothing about my bike before my purchase and now do a lot of the maintenance and add-ons.

It is all here for you. Don't hesitate to ask questions or help. You will get more out of your bike because of this site.

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
I agree with Dano as I have never owned a BMW or even considered one till I bought my LT 4 years ago. I found a few people in my area (by using this forum) to help me with the bike, now I'm one of the people who helps others and have made very good friends all over the country and abroad . If you really want to make the most out of this Forum and the bike you should look into CCR . It is the best BMW get together there is. More like a "Family Reunion" then a Biker Rally.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Welcome to the board, you'll find lots of valuable information here. (And a few whiners too)

I've enjoyed my 2000 LT for the last nine years and 62,000 miles, it's been absolutly reliable and I've done nothing but regular maintence. Good luck with your new bike.

The 2000 LTs didn't come with quick disconnects on the fuel lines, if yours has them they were added later.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the warm welcome and the advice. The bike is a 2000 and apparently i have been told it is the elite model because it has all the chrome accs. heated seats and intercom system. I bought it for 7000$ and the bike has 4,100 miles on it. I think i got a good deal but that could just be me excited about the new to me bike. anyways there is tons of stuff i want to do to the bike like adding cb,cellphone cords, and sat. radio just to list a few. so i will have a few questions soon

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Welcome. With 4100 miles, your new LT hasn't been ridden very often or very far. You'll want to get the fluids changed, especially the brake and clutch fluid. Since our double naughts don't have the linked brakes, they're easy to do. Even though the shop manual says you don't need to flush the ABS control unit unless the system has been opened or drained, you might want to run some fluid through those bleeders as well. The '99 & '00 models sometimes have ABS unit failure and it's probably due to lack of fluid flushing. You don't want to know how much a new control unit is. BMW says they can't be rebuilt, but there are a few companies out there trying.

Not to start a conventional vs. synthetic vs. snake oil thread, but until you get some miles on the LT and get the seals swelled and used to being wet again, you might want to stick with conventional motor and gear oil. IIRC, I've seen posts referring to seal failures and synthetics were in the crankcase and gearbox. I'm sure there must be some threads when conventional oils were used, but I just don't recall reading them. I'd do a search, but it's past my bedtime. Morning comes early around here.

Good luck with the new ride. If we can help with questions, ask. Check for Tech Sessions in your area. You can even organize one. If you organize it, they will come. :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
First of all you are about to realize just how nice this bike really is. My face is still grinning to this day after 3 years on mine.
I have though about adding the extras you mentioned but the best advice I could give for touring is simple.
Get a good helmet - I prefer a full face with tinted shield and clear in bag for rain
Get a good jacket that keeps you dry and vented for hotter weather (not the most expensive)
Keep two sets of gloves one for cold and warm weather
Get a set of luggage to fit inside the bags. (EBAY) It makes the hotel/campground trek very easy.
One final recommendation is an air hawk or some other type of seat enhancement if you are going to long distance ride (over 500 miles a day) Well worth it.
Read the other posts about handling. These bikes take a bit of getting used to at slow speeds and have a couple handling quirks like the low speed steering wobble.
Put plenty of time in the seat before you leave. Your body will appreciate it.
Have Fun. Ride Safe

·
Registered
912 Posts
And, especially if you are not over 6 foot tall, a good comfortable pair of riding books goes a long way toward keeping your feet where you put them on the pavement. Of course they are indispensable for fending off rocks and summer bugs no matter who you are. Work boots will do the later, but they just do not have the grip that a good motorcycle boot does.

Bil

·
Premium Member
1,487 Posts
WildBil said:
And, especially if you are not over 6 foot tall, a good comfortable pair of riding books goes a long way toward keeping your feet where you put them on the pavement. Of course they are indispensable for fending off rocks and summer bugs no matter who you are. Work boots will do the later, but they just do not have the grip that a good motorcycle boot does.

Bil
So, how do you pick the riding books back up when you're ready to ride off? Does it take more than one book per side or is that based on your inseam? :histerica

·
Registered
461 Posts
Hello Josh

There are not too many things to watch out for , I have a 99 and do not have fuel line QD's and do not feel that they are that useful to risk a leak . Ride it a while an then you may have some questions . I agree get the safety gear !
Maintenance is not as bad as it looks on the surface for a DIY person

Bob G

·
Registered
220 Posts
Yes, welcome Joshua. I've had a '99 LT for 4 years and it's been a great experience.

If you are going to do your own maintenance check out the thread that's active now about the maintenance videos: They are great and will show you exactly how to take care of the routine maintenance items.

Joe

1 - 18 of 18 Posts