BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Good afternoon to all fellow riders.
My new/old 2006 K1200LT arrived yesterday, bought unseen from interstate due to Covid 19 restrictions. Overall, I'm happy with the bike, engine running good even have 65,000 km already on the clock. The final drive was wiped from black stain maybe leaking oil. Running good apart from the noise in the rear. After my first ride, I checked the source of the noise and looks like the floating rotor has too much play, is this normal? If not what is the replacement part number. Thanks in advance.

Jhun from Melbourne

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
My new/old 2006 K1200LT arrived yesterday, bought unseen from interstate due to Covid 19 restrictions. Overall, I'm happy with the bike, engine running good even have 65,000 km already on the clock. The final drive was wiped from black stain maybe leaking oil. Running good apart from the noise in the rear. After my first ride, I checked the source of the noise and looks like the floating rotor has too much play, is this normal? If not what is the replacement part number. Thanks in advance.

Jhun from Melbourne
Yes the rear rotors on these bikes do have a reputation for being a bit of a cow bell. Very easy and not expensive to replace.

Post some pictures, we would love to see them.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Hi Saddleman,
Is it the MD615 EBC? I see plenty from eBay there but not here in Australia.
I got mine through Beemer Boneyard in the US. But that was before the pandemic and I think I heard that a lot of US companies aren't delivering to us in Australia now.

·
Premium Member
459 Posts

Jhun from Melbourne
Congrats on your new ride.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Hey congratulations Mate, nice looking bike and at those km's it's barely broken in. First thing a would really recommend is change those brake lines for stainless and flush the whole brake system, very important for your ABS health. Is your glove box open in the picture or is that how it looks closed.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Good looking bike! Here's Kirk's video on replacing rear rotor:
Sailor commented elsewhere, "If you have the OEM REAR rotor from factory (NOT 3rd party rotor like EBC), the NEW thickness is 7mm (0.28 inch) and the MINIMUM specs is 6.5mm (0.26 inch). Obviously there is a margin where things would still be safe just a bit below 6.5, but given the size of the rear Caliper and weight of the bike, I would NOT push my luck too far."
Some people (Kirk) replace the rotor just to get rid of the noise, but if your rotor is still thick enough you don't really have to replace it.
--Dean

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey congratulations Mate, nice looking bike and at those km's it's barely broken in. First thing a would really recommend is change those brake lines for stainless and flush the whole brake system, very important for your ABS health. Is your glove box open in the picture or is that how it looks closed.
It's open, I forgot to close when I took my eyeglasses before taking the photo.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sailor commented elsewhere, "If you have the OEM REAR rotor from factory (NOT 3rd party rotor like EBC), the NEW thickness is 7mm (0.28 inch) and the MINIMUM specs is 6.5mm (0.26 inch). Obviously there is a margin where things would still be safe just a bit below 6.5, but given the size of the rear Caliper and weight of the bike, I would NOT push my luck too far."
Some people (Kirk) replace the rotor just to get rid of the noise, but if your rotor is still thick enough you don't really have to replace it.
--Dean
[/QUO
--Dean
Hi Dean,
I didn't measure the thickness but the rotational play or movement is too much, about a quarter of an inch. I can't bear the noise, they tried to stop the noise by using silicone but it comes off. I bought already from eBay USA but it will take a month for delivery. Cost me A$350 EBC rotor and pads including delivery.
Jhunn

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ha ha that's where I keep my glasses as well.
It's handy for small things that's needed in the go. My bikes needs new front tyres, I'm looking at Michelin Road 5 GT and Pirelli Angel GT A. What's your advice Warren?

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
It's handy for small things that's needed in the go. My bikes needs new front tyres, I'm looking at Michelin Road 5 GT and Pirelli Angel GT A. What's your advice Warren?
I had Michelin Road 4's on my bike when I bought it and left them on for a couple of years. I wasn't happy with the stability of the bike especially in a straight line on the freeway at speed, it always felt a bit squirmy. The last straw was during a ride in the mountains when on a gentle bend the bike suddenly stepped sideways for no apparent reason.
I went to a guy who specializes in motorcycle tires and he said he was surprised I was still alive. When he showed me the wall thickness of the Michelins I was a bit shocked. They are very thin and really have way too much flex for a heavy bike like the LT.
He recommended a pair of Bridgestones. I have a T31 GT on the front and an H50 on the rear. Now even these are still a bit underrated for the LT but the sidewalls on these tires are incredibly stiff and even without air in them you can't flex them. Since I have had these on the stability of the bike is greatly improved . Getting tires for these bikes is very limited and I think there may be more of a range in the US.
What do you currently have on the bike.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I had Michelin Road 4's on my bike when I bought it and left them on for a couple of years. I wasn't happy with the stability of the bike especially in a straight line on the freeway at speed, it always felt a bit squirmy. The last straw was during a ride in the mountains when on a gentle bend the bike suddenly stepped sideways for no apparent reason.
I went to a guy who specializes in motorcycle tires and he said he was surprised I was still alive. When he showed me the wall thickness of the Michelins I was a bit shocked. They are very thin and really have way too much flex for a heavy bike like the LT.
He recommended a pair of Bridgestones. I have a T31 GT on the front and an H50 on the rear. Now even these are still a bit underrated for the LT but the sidewalls on these tires are incredibly stiff and even without air in them you can't flex them. Since I have had these on the stability of the bike is greatly improved . Getting tires for these bikes is very limited and I think there may be more of a range in the US.
What do you currently have on the bike.
My front tyre is 120 70 17 Metzeler ME880 Marathon and back tyre is 160 70 17 Bridgestone Battlax T31R, I'm wondering why my back tyre should be 180 55 17.
I read reviews that the Michelin Road 5 GT is more for a heavy bike than the normal Standard Road 5 and improved from the Road 4. But some people said that the Pirelli Angel GT 2 spec A have stiffer wall for a heavy bike. I really appreciate your feed bike because I'm new to heavy bike because I rode only 250cc Sport Bike in the Philippines way back in 1996. Didn't ride since then. This is a big step for me specially for not riding in almost 25 years.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
My front tyre is 120 70 17 Metzeler ME880 Marathon and back tyre is 160 70 17 Bridgestone Battlax T31R, I'm wondering why my back tyre should be 180 55 17.
I read reviews that the Michelin Road 5 GT is more for a heavy bike than the normal Standard Road 5 and improved from the Road 4. But some people said that the Pirelli Angel GT 2 spec A have stiffer wall for a heavy bike. I really appreciate your feed bike because I'm new to heavy bike because I rode only 250cc Sport Bike in the Philippines way back in 1996. Didn't ride since then. This is a big step for me specially for not riding in almost 25 years.
You're a bit like me. I mostly rode in the late 70's and to the mid 80's. My last bike was a GSX 750 EZ. I ended up buying an Italian sports car and gave the bikes away until 2017. I spent about 8 months being more than a bit intimidated by the LT but I was determined to train myself to ride the bike. Mental preperation is the key. I watched all the YouTube videos I could find about large bikes. People will tell you that you will definately drop the LT but that doesn't have to be the fact. I have not dropped mine to date. I think I came close about twice, both times in my own back yard. A bit of advice I like to give new LT riders is to not fill your tank while riding around town and also you can try removing the top box for a little while to allow you to get used to the handling characteristics without the weight being up high. The top box weighs 15 kg empty and all that weight is above your hips. It's like a pendulum and also a bit of a sail in cross winds. It only takes about 15 minutes to remove it. I have mine back on now and I don't notice it there now but I did notice it when I first removed it.
On tires, I have to admit, I had the Road 4's Where did you get the idea about you back tire being 180/55 17 that's all wrong. A 180 will not fit next to the swing arm.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,018 Posts
Just so you are aware the LT requires a 79V REINF rated rear tire and the 160 70 17 Bridgestone Battlax T31R is only a 73W rated with no reinforced side wall.

Reactions: djmellor

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You're a bit like me. I mostly rode in the late 70's and to the mid 80's. My last bike was a GSX 750 EZ. I ended up buying an Italian sports car and gave the bikes away until 2017. I spent about 8 months being more than a bit intimidated by the LT but I was determined to train myself to ride the bike. Mental preperation is the key. I watched all the YouTube videos I could find about large bikes. People will tell you that you will definately drop the LT but that doesn't have to be the fact. I have not dropped mine to date. I think I came close about twice, both times in my own back yard. A bit of advice I like to give new LT riders is to not fill your tank while riding around town and also you can try removing the top box for a little while to allow you to get used to the handling characteristics without the weight being up high. The top box weighs 15 kg empty and all that weight is above your hips. It's like a pendulum and also a bit of a sail in cross winds. It only takes about 15 minutes to remove it. I have mine back on now and I don't notice it there now but I did notice it when I first removed it.
On tires, I have to admit, I had the Road 4's Where did you get the idea about you back tire being 180/55 17 that's all wrong. A 180 will not fit next to the swing arm.
Redbook specifications and Bikesales specifications from 2006 model to 2009 have upgraded to 5.5 inches wheels and 180 55 ZR 17 and older models 2005 and below have 5 inches with 160 70 ZR 17.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just so you are aware the LT requires a 79V REINF rated rear tire and the 160 70 17 Bridgestone Battlax T31R is only a 73W rated with no reinforced side wall.
Thanks for your concern. The tire is still looks brand new and I'm riding alone weighing only 196 lbs no pillion and luggage. I'm still practicing to ride again after off to Bike riding for over 25 years. Looking to change only my front tyres with Pirelli Angel GT2 or Michelin Road 5 GT from Metzeler ME880 Marathon. What would you recommend, thanks in advance Mate.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts