BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 K1200LT with 14,500 mi on it (it had 13,000 when i bought it). It has a noticable "clunk" when you start and stop - mainly starting. It sounds and feels like it is right under the drivers seat in the drivetrain - perhaps where the gearbox mates with the driveshaft????? I don't know if this is a normal thing for this bike or a sign of problems? I have looked on the board and only found discussion about the brake disc issue, but I think mine is further forward. Any ideas or info is appreciated!

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
slack

mrjasonl said:
I have a 2000 K1200LT with 14,500 mi on it (it had 13,000 when i bought it). It has a noticable "clunk" when you start and stop - mainly starting. It sounds and feels like it is right under the drivers seat in the drivetrain - perhaps where the gearbox mates with the driveshaft????? I don't know if this is a normal thing for this bike or a sign of problems? I have looked on the board and only found discussion about the brake disc issue, but I think mine is further forward. Any ideas or info is appreciated!

There is a little slack between the transmission and the final drive. If you put the bike on the center stand and in gear. You should be able to turn the rear wheel forward and back rotating a couple inches. I believe that is normal.

If you're coasting to a stop with the clutch lever squeezed, the slack may be there when you let the clutch out again and hear a cluck.

I seldom hear it though, on my bike.

Might want to check it further sometime.

Just my .02.

The guru's here will set you straight on the subject, I'm sure. I just happen to be one of the first to read your post.

Welcome and enjoy the RIDE!

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,458 Posts
mrjasonl said:
Hi, Jason - welcome to this leetle corner of the universe. Good to see you on board.

Lissen, Port Orchard is right in amongst several other LT rider's locations, from places like Bellevue and Bremerton, etc. I suggest that you hook up with one or two of 'em and compare 'noises'! Many, many times, noises are normal, and then other times, it's *never heard of that one before*!! A quick 'advanced search' on the member list will turn up a roster of folks in your area, cuz you can fine tune the search engine to get pretty specific.

Good luck with finding the 'noise' source, and I hope it's a routine one, heard by other folks.

Ride safe.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I have a noise in my 05. I think it is when the clutch is engaging. It only happens when I am in first gear in heavy traffic stopping and going a lot.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Clunker

I have an oolt had 20k on it when purchased last year have 35k on it
now I also noticed this clunking, but now I hardy ever hear or feel it as I'm
much smoother with the take off and start. Also have had no problems with
the bike. Just start enjoying the ride.

·
Registered
353 Posts
bmwriderm said:
I have an oolt had 20k on it when purchased last year have 35k on it
now I also noticed this clunking, but now I hardy ever hear or feel it as I'm
much smoother with the take off and start. Also have had no problems with
the bike. Just start enjoying the ride.
If you have the revs up high enough you will not hear it....OR much else for that matter:) :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :histerica :histerica :histerica

·
Registered
401 Posts
Clunk, clunk, junk!

mrjasonl said:
Howdy! I bought my 2000 with 2600 miles on it and it does, and did the same thing. I used to worry about it, but then I took it to 2 dealers, who test rode it and said "Normal, just ride it". So, relax and enjoy!

·
Registered
247 Posts
Sounds to me like rear brake rattle. I have an '03 and heard the sounds you described... intermittent loud clunking noise on take-off, stopping and over rough pavement. After extensive research here on the site I was satisfied that I was hearing the slack in the rear disc brake pads and it is completely normal. In fact one guy calls them "cowbells" to give one an idea how noisey they can be. My 2 cents.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Turning up

Radio or CD also is another option to rev ing the engine. Ear plugs is another option. Both work very well.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Slap

It's just the slack in the drivetrain. Mine does it when in engage/disengage the clutch rapidly...

It's normal.

Just ride it.. Once you get used to the bike you'll learn how to ride it without making all those funny noises.. There's some pretty cool noises in the valve train as well...

Good Luck

John

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Abby, Abby Normal

Like K bike rattle, and K bike whine, K bike clunk is normal.

Clunk is probably taking up slack in the driveline as suggested above.

CLLunKK... is not normal.

Now, someone tell me the difference between "Clunk" and "CLLunKK" by describing it over the internet. :) :)

If it starts, and it isn't leaking any fluids, ride it like you stole it (until it breaks or the fluids start leaking out). ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts