BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody!

I'm a the new owner of a 2003 K1200LT with 23K under the clock. I sold a couple of weeks ago a 2004 R1200CLC that I had for exactly 2 years. My riding buddies have gone as far as to Alaska from Atlanta and certainly the CLC is a very good bike, but is not designed (IMHO) for that kind of trips. Wife complained often about vibrations as well.

The bike has been upgraded with Ohlins suspension (front and rear), Russell seats (front and rear), PIAA moto lights, BMW CB (uninstalled, on a box) BMW Navigator (small screen and DVD unit) BMW Comm. The windshield is a ZTechnik. J-Pegs have been installed as well. I've found in the trove of receipts given to me a reference to an HID kit. Low beam is out, as well as the moto lights. PO indicated that all the work was done in the local Norfolk VA BMW dealership. He has been nice trying to talk to them to see if they can shed any light on the autoswitch used to control the moto lights. I tried the common key combinations (2 taps less than a second on the cancel, same on the high beam, a mix of all of them etc) without success.

The clutch was done while the bike was under warranty.

The ABS lights have been blinking at 1Hz and per the PO and the Manual it could be low reservoir fluid. My CLC had a slightly different Hydro unit, what looks to me the ones installed in the 2005/up LT's just judging for the physical look. The CLC did not have an external reservoir, you had to buy the stupid funnel from BBY to do your refill or flush. Good news to me are that I bought a set of SpeedBleeders and they seem to be the same size needed for my LT. So I'm looking forward to do all the maintenance on the bike myself.

I value a lot the time that members spend on forums helping others. I may not be very outspoken but I will be more than happy to assist in any way I can.

If this place is just like the others... here are some pics...

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Congratulations on your new bike! You are going to experience a whole new level of riding comfort for you and especially your lady, the wind protection is superior, and the adjustable windshield makes the protection level customizable for speed and weather. Looks like it has some major doodads that will make your ride even better. Good luck and safe riding!

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
congrats! That is a great year for that LT.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a Y2K LT same color as yours. You stated in your original blog that the low beam is out. I had a problem with my low beam light as well. I replaced the bulb twice and it lit up for a short period and went out again. The third time I replaced it. the contact points were cleaned. This has fixed my problem with low beam.

Just a hint.................you may check this out and save a good deal of $$$$$.

Flatrabbit
Jasper, Alabama

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. I will definitely check my connectors this weekend when addressing the low beam bulb.
I will be posting my progress shortly.

E

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Welcome! Glad you found us.

Congrats on your new LT... Sorry you had to end up with the slowest color, though. I guess you will just have to work that much harder at it. :rolleyes:

FWIW, is there a reason why you do not pull the Autoswitch and just wire the MotoLights to a switches aux fuse block? Perhaps there is some reason why you (or the PO) did not want them on full time. By using a power relay and switching the aux block, the load shed relay will cut the Motos when cranking and will also turn off when ignition is off.

You might want to test the Motos by disconnecting from auto switch and connecting (temporarily) directly to battery. Also, if original Moto harness was used intact, perhaps their on/off switch got thrown to "off" position. You can buy spot or flood replacement MR16 bulbs at Home Despot, among other places. I replaced mine with 3x3W MR16 LED units each side for better visibility and lower power consumption.

HTH

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey tony thanks for the tip.

At this time I have not been able to find the autoswitch yet. The PIAA lights were installed by a BMW dealership. I suspect that an autoswitch is installed due to the lack of a normal switch anywhere in the bike. I will follow the suggestion to replace the relay and to add a relay most likely to the parking light in that case I will have them all the time the ignition is on.

Thanks!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Nice bike! I have a 2003 and runs great dosen't look anywhere near as nice. Try attaching a battery tender if you haven't already. My bike was acting very squirelly and most of was attributed to the battery. I did all the service suggested by this form and the dealer, and still, it was the battery. 73

·
Registered
241 Posts
Congratulations on your purchase! I'm another '03 owner and I know you, and your SO, are going to enjoy it! And, all the extra goodies is a big plus! :thumb:

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
Nice bike. Sounds like the PO really set the bike up well for touring. Congratulations and all the best for many miles of enjoyment!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts